Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

tracking the pintech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracking the pintech

Hi all,

I am new to this group and not yet an edrum owner (but will be soon). I realize my questions may have been asked in various ways before, but I searched the archives and didn't find the answers (or as a novice I didn't recongize them as such). I appreciate your patience.

I am planning to buy a pintech CS8 kit, and I am leaning towards the TD-8 module. However, after many hours of searching through various forum posts I have a concern. I have seen many references to "tracking problems" when using the TD-8 with pintechs. Often these are accompanied by explanations that it has to do with "positional sensing" in the TD-8. I would be grateful if someone would answer 4 three questions for me:

(a) What exactly is tracking?

(b) Is it true that there is a pintech/TD-8 compatibility problem?

(c) Is this problem correctible, or should I look for a different module (e.g., Alesis DM-Pro)?

(d) Finally, suppose I wanted to play a fast pattern using multiple drums (e.g., solos on Rush's "Tom Sawyer", or the intro to Liquid Tension's "Paradigm Shift"). Could the TD-8 keep up? Or would I overload the polyphony?

Thanks for any help you can provide! One great attraction of the TD-8 is that you are an unusually high quality BB group. If I get the TD-8 I'll be a regular.

Regards,
    Kris

Originally posted by Kris:
    (a) What exactly is tracking?
    Tracking refers to the pads ability to pick up all dynamics you might care to play. From taps and finess to a good WHACK! you want your pads to cover them all. Yes the Pintechs will do the job quite well, but don't expect a turn key setup. It will take some tweaking to achieve the best results and infact if you search here some have even posted the parameters they are using which will set you in the right direction.

(b) Is it true that there is a pintech/TD-8 compatibility problem?
    Only with the positional sensing feature. You will not achieve this with a Pintech pad. The TD-8 only has positional on the snare and ride. I would splurge and pick up at least one Roland pad for the snare. PD80r or PD120. The snare is the heart of you're kit, don't skimp at the heart.

(c) Is this problem correctible, or should I look for a different module (e.g., Alesis DM-Pro)?
    No. Unless your ears tell you otherwise.

(d) Finally, suppose I wanted to play a fast pattern using multiple drums (e.g., solos on Rush's "Tom Sawyer", or the intro to Liquid Tension's "Paradigm Shift"). Could the TD-8 keep up? Or would I overload the polyphony?
    Go for it! Unless you grow a couple more arms I really don't think polyphony will be a problem. Number of inputs might get to you in the end, if you like a large kit like the two guys you mention.

Welcome and Good Luck.

Comment

Kris:

Is there chance that you could try the pintech pads. Each companies (hart,roland) mesh head have a little different feel to them. I have never tried the pintech pads so I can't help you there. I have the hart pads and they feel and track well.

I agree very strongly with btnkbndt about the roland snare. They work the best with the roland modules. I have the td-8 and it works very well.

good luck and welcome aboard

Kurt
      Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Working...
      X