Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH11 mistrigering horribly

Hey all,

My VH11 started mistrigering yesterday. I've tried taking apart and reassembling the clutch per the instructions in the owner's manual. I also opened up the controller base, cleaned it out, and reassembled it carefully (I'd done this before so I know that the spring has to be seated the right way, which it is). Earlier tonight it seemed to be working fine, but now it's basically unplayable. I've attached a sound file so you can hear -- believe it or not, I'm just pressing up and down on the HH pedal repeatedly. One other clue: when I go into the trigger setup and loosen the wingnut on the clutch (such that it will drop to the closed position) sometimes it reads as fully open.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Attached Files
    TD30 | PD-128S, PD-128, (2) PD-108, PD-120 | KD-120 | (2) CY15R, (2) CY14C, CY13R, CY12C, VH11 | MDS-25 rack | DW3000 double bass pedal | DW3000 HH stand | roc-n-soc nitro throne | Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Update: I just took the controller/base (i.e. the Motion Sensor Unit) apart and reassembled it. It appears to be back to working order, though I fear that may be temporary. While googling, I found a thread with Roland support where someone was having a similar problem. The roland rep suggested that the motion sensor might have worn out and that it should be replaced. I take it he was suggesting that the entire Motion Sensor Unit would need to be replaced. That costs about $100.

One thing I noticed when I had the MSU open is that there's a little wheel that travels up and down on some kind of membrane that's cemented onto a metal strip. I can definitely see that the membrane has some wear on it, where the little wheel has traveled up and down. I can imagine how that wear might lead to mistriggering.

I'm going to call Roland tomorrow and see what they have to say. In the meantime, any thoughts on this?
    TD30 | PD-128S, PD-128, (2) PD-108, PD-120 | KD-120 | (2) CY15R, (2) CY14C, CY13R, CY12C, VH11 | MDS-25 rack | DW3000 double bass pedal | DW3000 HH stand | roc-n-soc nitro throne | Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Comment

Desmond, I'm having the EXACT same issue. Sometimes it gets so bad at it will trigger 4 or 5 times when I lightly step on the foot pedal. When I put the pad in the up position it triggers open just fine, which makes me think it is the sensor that is to blame. I'm thinking about opening up the sensor unit, since I've already serviced the pad(clearing out the pixie dust). Did you hear back from Roland?
      Last edited by dhalluska; 12-10-16, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Hey @dhalluska,

In my case the mis-triggering tended to happen when the HH was down toward the fully closed position, rather than just lightly stepping on it. That said, I tend to agree with you that the controller is the likely culprit. I did speak to the parts department at Roland. They can sell you a new controller for about $97 but there aren't any smaller parts available for that unit.

Inside the controller, you'll find some electronics, a spring, and a little plastic wheel that travels up and down on some kind of conductive strip. I believe the latter is what sends the signal to the module. Over time, that wheel can wear a groove on the conductive strip, and that *may* contribute to the mis-triggering. That being said I don't think there's much to be done about that, short of replacing the controller. If you do open it up, note how the spring is hooked against some little metal tabs and that a little twisting motion is involved -- you'll need to make sure to use that twisting motion in the opposite direction when you close it up so that the wheel can put the necessary pressure on the conductive strip.

But before you do any of that, I would check a few things:

1. Do you have the proper trigger type selected in your module's settings?
        2. Have you calibrated the VH-11 on your module?
        3. When you took the cymbal part apart, did you follow Roland's instructions when you re-assembled the clutch? That thing can be finicky and might make a difference here.
        4. This is going to sound crazy, but I saw some threads somewhere where people said that simply rotating the controller (as much as 180 degrees) solved this problem for them. I can't explain it but I actually think that helps. Go figure!

I hope that helps. Please keep me posted on your progress.

Comment

Hey Desmond,

Thanks for the tips, I did end up opening up the sensor unit, cleaning out the connections, and realigning the spring properly (pretty neat mechanism really). I plugged it back in and it works better now than it ever has. Couldn't believe it. It does look like the roller is slowly wearing down the felt strip on the conductor, but I'll see how many more years I can get out of it now that it is "refurbished".. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully others with the same issue will read this thread and not spend the money on replacing the part.

Comment

Hi,

I had a similar issue with my vH-11. Mine is a new one.
            2 times I sent it to Roland and they didn't found out the reason for the misstrigger sounds. Also the guys from drum-tec had no idea.
            Finally a Roland technican gave me a simple advice to remove the felt washer of my Pearl HH-Stand and use just the Original Roland washer from the VH-11.

And...surprise...no felt, no misstrigger.
            It still works without any issues with a TD-15 and now with a TD-25.
            Last edited by Oli; 12-12-16, 10:18 AM.
            TD-25/KD-120/PD-125/(3x)PDX-100
            VH-11/CY-12C/CY-13R/CY-15R
            Pearl P-932/Pearl H-930/Beyerdynamic DT 770m
            Drum-Tec Throne/Vic Firth 5AN American Classic

Comment

Working...
            X