Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Hi-hat open/close problem with TD-4k (FD-8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-hat open/close problem with TD-4k (FD-8)

Hi, just bought a TD-4k and really enjoy it (or my son does).

The problem is that I'm not able to get the hi-hat pedal working (HHC), meaning I cannot close and open the hi-hat, it's constantly open.

Here's my troubleshooting:
    - I tested the HHC cable with pins 25 and 13, and seems to be working as I get a light on with a battery through it.
    - the pedal (FD-8) seems to be working. I attach it to PD-8 cable, and when I press the pedal I get the PD-8 sound.
    - in reverse I also tried the HHC cable in the PD-8, but then no sound when I hit PD-8.
    - reset the unit
    - could not find anything to pedal settings, and even if I could I cannot select it as cannot get a response through HHC cable.
    - Hi-hat working normally otherwise, just pedal effect missing.

Is the only outcome that the main unit itself is damaged?

Thanks

Don't you get any reaction even if you step really hard on it? If you bought it second-hand it's likely that the rubber "hammer" (aka actuator) turned hard. If so, you can try this "Vaseline" (it works, but leave the Vaseline on there) fix: https://youtu.be/mncNvGyt_R4

- if not it could be the sensor itself, in which case you may need to replace it..
    Pearl Mimic Pro, Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

Thanks for you reply.

But does not this prove that the pedal works??:
      - the pedal (FD-8) seems to be working. I attach it to PD-8 cable, and when I press the pedal I get the PD-8 sound.

I thought about the vaseline fix as well, but figured with that problem I would not get any reaction when testing the pedal on another cable...

Comment

Well, it could be a lot of things, I guess, but my money's on the sensor or the rubber. When you test it like you did, you may give signal enough for the module to interpret that as a light hit on a pd-8. That same signal may be outside the needed limit /threshold of "hihat closed" for the module. So try if you can get a hihat closed sound if you step really hard on it and hit the hihat. If not, I think the sensor is broken.
        Pearl Mimic Pro, Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

Brilliant. I tried and it was just as you said. The actuator rubber was too stiff. Found this solution of cutting a few lines on the shorter side which worked like a charm (http://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced...d-8-rubber-fix). Thank you qcaze for you help!!!

Comment

You're welcome :-)

Comment

In one of the hack, I saw it that it was dipped into hot water.
              But after I did it, the rubber is kind of spoiled. It has becoe like lava, and its shape is changing whenever I touch it. It has been 8 hours, still it has not become hard.
              What should I do now?

Comment

Working...
              X