Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD 20 drums not as desired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD 20 drums not as desired

I have TD20 kit and have brand new sensors in them. I find that with the mesh heads tightened per the manual that I have to hit almost dead center to get drum sounds and the range from quiet to loud is very narrow. Can you fine folks offer any suggestions / different sensors that will pickup all over the mesh head area and give me a wide dynamic range from very soft playing to smacking hard? Thanks so much.

So you fitted new sensors to an existing TD20 kit? Did you perhaps wire then with incorrect polarity?

Check the trigger settings, perhaps something got corrupted and you might have to do a factory reset.

Roland TD20X + Tama Rockstar (2004) w. Gretsch snare undergoing A-to-E conversion this winter.

Comment

Also, check that the foam cones are about1/8" above the height of the drum shell rim.
      ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Press the [Trigger] button and then [F5] and check that the position indicator follows centre - edge as you hit.
        Roland TD20X + Tama Rockstar (2004) w. Gretsch snare undergoing A-to-E conversion this winter.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, The sensors are wired correctly. Is the height of the cone adjustable ?
          Doesn't look like it.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvrof45BHic

Comment

Originally posted by coachz View Post
            Is the height of the cone adjustable ?
            On Roland mesh pads, no. As pointed out earlier in the thread - the tip of the cone should be about 1/8" (3mm) above the bearing edge. When the mesh head is properly tightened, the tip is slightly pressed down by the head.

From what you tell us, it sounds like the problem is NOT with the pads themselves. I would try a factory reset of the module.

Comment

Try trigger settings (sensitivity, gain, etc..). The hardness and elastic properties of the new cones can be different from previous, thus affecting sensitivity...

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by vluminator View Post

On Roland mesh pads, no. As pointed out earlier in the thread - the tip of the cone should be about 1/8" (3mm) above the bearing edge. When the mesh head is properly tightened, the tip is slightly pressed down by the head.

From what you tell us, it sounds like the problem is NOT with the pads themselves. I would try a factory reset of the module.

Thanks--I'm making use of your info as we speak, for a PD-125 that was crushed in a moving box in storage for three years and needed a new head and apparently a new cone or at least some kind of adjustment.

Comment

When you say "new sensors" are they Roland factory replacements? Are they just the cones replaced or the entire piezo assembly? Depending on what you did you will need to do as others have stated, fiddle with adjustments! If they aren't Roland parts (piezo parts) you might have an issue with those as well. Cones usually aren't as big an issue unless you had them made for you and substandard foam was used. More details about the actual replacements will be needed if you can't fix this issue.

K ;-)
                  My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                  E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                  A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                  A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
                  X