Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snare Rim Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare Rim Shots

I have been using a PD-125 for my snare for several years. Over time the rim shots have become very sporadic. Sometimes it works more often it dont. Do I need to change a trigger. Is there a specific trigger for the rim ? The normal snare head trigger works fine.

So something similar just happened to me.

First It could be the cable to module that is defective, you should check it before going any further.

I did the modification on the PD-125 so that rimshots work as on the PD-128, it works great, but then it acted weirdly. I reopened it and noticed the problem was not on the piezo, but possibly on the soldering of the jack assembly. I did fresh soldering, the wire is reinforced with a fiber that makes it hard to solder (like on headphones cables), but then it appeared the problem was not even that nor the triangular circuit the jack assembly is soldered to : it was on the jack assembly itself! I cracked it opened (at the rear - don't worry the entire jack assembly and circuit is not necessary to the good functioning of the snare, and a new stereo female jack assembly is about 1,5$, it doesn't matter if you break it) and noticed all simply inside the tube itself the connector legs were tired, resulting in false contact with the male jack to module. As simple as that.

It could as well be a loose solder on the piezo, but hardly the piezo itself that would die. Even so if it did, a piezo is maybe 2,5$ in any electronic shop, in case, if it is the same size, then it's just as good, and you have to find a double sided tape that match in thickness and elasticity, it should be no problem. If you need to renew it, solder it fast with a very hot iron to avoid burning its quartz protective layer.

The PD-125 is very basic passive electronic and solid construction, you cannot break anything by mistake, everything in there you can find in electronic shops or on ebay or if you can get Roland to send you the parts), simply don't hurt the cone (it's also a cheap spare part in case.) To me the weak parts of the PD-125 are the wire they used, which doesn't solder tight easily and consists in a very thin supple metal fiber bundle that can be fragile (hence reinforced with a textile fiber - I suppose they choose this type for suppleness, on the newer pads they use a more rigid wire), and the jack assembly and circuit which introduce an unnecessary layer of solder and contact prone to wear (the circuit is soldered to the jack assembly, when a simple jack assembly would have been just as good to solder the cables onto it directly.)

After I broke the jack assembly opened from the rear (just break the small plastic door at the rear, it's not worth the worry to keep it intact but if you're meticulous you can even preserve it intact to close the thing back), I simply bent back the contact legs into the assembly tube from the rear with a sharp screw driver, so that the male jack is fully in contact again when plugged in, and it seems ok for now, no more mysterious drops in the rim sensitivity. If it does it again, I'll just install a new female jack assembly.

There is literally no other parts that could be responsible for your trouble, so don't worry, it is very simple to fix no matter what it is precisely.
    Last edited by happy_dude; 04-03-15, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dude. I am sure Ive got a spare unused cable here somewhere. I will try that first if I can find it.

Comment

Working...
      X