Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are replacement cones specific to drum pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are replacement cones specific to drum pad?

Hi all, I'm thinking it's time I replace the foam cone in my snare as it's not as sensitive to hits anymore and looks like it's cracking and breaking down. My question is are they specific to the drum? I have a Jobeky 10" drum that I use for my snare and I've browsed their website but didnt' see anything on replacement cones there. Of course I haven't actually contacted them about it yet, which I supposed I'll do. But if I were to get a replacement cone from Roland for a similar one of their pads, would it work sufficiently or should I just go straight to Jobeky and get a new one? Thanks for any advice.

Lee
    TD-9 with Master 50 VEX pack. Three PD-85 dual triggered toms plus one 10" Hart Acupad. 10" Jobeky Drums snare. 8" Hart Acupad kick. CY-5 as hats, CY-8 and CY-14 as crashes, and CY-12R/C as ride.

Not really specific for individual pads of the same brand but different companies may use a certain "grade" of foam for their triggers. Quartz Percussions makes great, consistent, reliable cones for DIY or replacement projects.

http://www.quartzpercussions.com/
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Depends how old your Jobeky is? Ive recently bought a 14" 'snare' and the 'cone' is made up of various rubber/foam pieces (small cylindrical bits) stuck together to get the height. Not sure if they've changed their way of making them though. But yes Ive used Quartz cones on all my other drums and they are faultless!
      Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
      Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.

Comment

I also have Quartz and they're fantastic. I've currently mounted them about 1.5-2" from the drum shell since I don't want to deal with hot spots. They are great for this application too! I also have Pintech's and they work great too, but I have found that the exterior foam wrapped around the core does wear out when center-mounted. I'm going to mount one of those on a snare near the shell. I'm sure it's hitting directly on the Pintech when center mounted that's causing them to break down. I think the Quartz's hold up no matter where you put them. They just seem more solid and simpler by design.
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
          I also have Quartz and they're fantastic. I've currently mounted them about 1.5-2" from the drum shell since I don't want to deal with hot spots. They are great for this application too! I also have Pintech's and they work great too, but I have found that the exterior foam wrapped around the core does wear out when center-mounted. I'm going to mount one of those on a snare near the shell. I'm sure it's hitting directly on the Pintech when center mounted that's causing them to break down. I think the Quartz's hold up no matter where you put them. They just seem more solid and simpler by design.
          how does that work out in regards to getting light triggering (hitting head lightly i mean!) when you hit well away from the cone? Mine are all almost centered and trigger really well.
          Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
          Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.

Comment

Originally posted by cure1973 View Post

how does that work out in regards to getting light triggering (hitting head lightly i mean!) when you hit well away from the cone? Mine are all almost centered and trigger really well.
            Edge-mounted triggering is the same trigger setup that 2Box, Roland PDX6 and PDX8 and Triggera Intriggs use. In my opinion, there is no real difference between that and center mounted, except for the hot spot issue. I can get the softest ghost notes, do buzz rolls, etc. One thing that makes the setup work best is relatively tight heads. This produces an even energy transfer across the had. The same is true for center mounted triggers.

IMHO, I would only center mount a piezo if I had a module that uses positional sensing (PS). That's the only benefit. The benefits of edge mounting are: no hot spot and longer foam life.

JP
            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by cure1973 View Post
              Depends how old your Jobeky is? Ive recently bought a 14" 'snare' and the 'cone' is made up of various rubber/foam pieces (small cylindrical bits) stuck together to get the height. Not sure if they've changed their way of making them though. But yes Ive used Quartz cones on all my other drums and they are faultless!
              Yeah, my Jobeky is probably 3 years old and the internal "cone" is exactly like you described. I contacted Jobeky last week but still haven't heard back from them on replacement cones. I've checked out the Quartz cones and they look pretty good. I will probably end up going that route when I replace it.

The issue of center mounting is pretty intriguing too. I have a TD-9 which doesn't have positional sensing so I might look into mounting off center to save the cones in the long run. Thanks for the advice!

Lee
              TD-9 with Master 50 VEX pack. Three PD-85 dual triggered toms plus one 10" Hart Acupad. 10" Jobeky Drums snare. 8" Hart Acupad kick. CY-5 as hats, CY-8 and CY-14 as crashes, and CY-12R/C as ride.

Comment

Working...
              X