Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland TD-30 used with Yamaha Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-30 used with Yamaha Pads

My Yamaha DXT2SU is finally starting to show some signs of failing so I've gone out and ordered a TD-30 Module, comes Friday, fully aware that my current pads won't be fully compatible with it but I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and could tell me just how much functionality I'm going to lose so I can make a plan what I should look to purchase next, I'm assuming the Hi-Hat, Ride and Snare are going to be essential. I'm currently using Yamaha 5 x TP100, KP65, 2 x PCY135, PCY155, RHH155.

As an afterthought I wondered if anyone has any recommendations about alternative drum trigger pads and what the main differences are between the VH 12/VH 13 hihats and the CY-15R/CY-15R-MG

Thanks

Using the search function brings up a number of threads that mention a mix between Yamaha and Roland parts.

Frankly, having a full kit of Yamaha pads, why didn't you get the DTX900 instead? Succumbing to the hype of marketing schemes?
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

From what I have been told, the cymbal piezos are very different between the Roland and yammies.
      I am sure you have your reasons for going with the td 30 module. And of course the choice is yours.
      ,I, like Perceval, would probably gone for the 900 yammie module. That way you dont have to modify your triggers to work 75 percent with a roland module. If you are a tech savvy guy, it might be an easy fix, not for me!
      Last edited by hemiboy; 01-06-15, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Just looking for definitive answers really, I'm still searching

I played the TD30 not so long back and really enjoyed the experience, great interface, nice response on the pads, and I already have an SPD 30 and and SPD-SX so I thought why not. I got the chance of a td30 brain for a grand and my yamy pads/cymbals have been played to death over the years so I figured I'd be replacing them anyway.

The Yamy has been a fantastic kit, more than paid for itself. I am ok with tech, I know the piezo/switching technology Yamaha uses isn't fully compatible with Roland trigger circuitry but I'll live with transition over the next few months while I replace the pads/cymbals. Might even get a set of Gen 16s to try out at some point,

Cheers

Comment

TD-30 for a grand is a good deal yamaha cymbal pad works with TD-30 [dual triggers] .. if you want ride/crash out of yamaha PCY155 you need to modify, you need new hi-hat controller [FD-8, FD-7 for your yamaha pads] or buy new VH-11/VH-12/VH-13

Comment

Definitely get a VH-13 for your TD-30 if it's within your budget. There is no better HH combination on the market currently.

If you are interested in a CY-15R, I have one on eBay, but if it doesn't sell this week I could consider a direct sale before re-listing. PM me if interested.
            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Wow 1000 for a td 30 is for nothing , nice module to transition with to your eventual new kit!

Comment

Was that $1,000 or 1,000 GBP?

(1,000 GBP is $1,500 FWIW)
                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

It was a 1000, I'm in the UK. I think my next purchases will be a VH-13, CY-15R and a pad for Snare, not decided on that yet. Everything else I'll probably have to live with as single zone pads/cymbals depending on how configurable the trigger system is on the TD-30 and if it can understand the switch information from the Yamy pads. Alternatively I suppose I could use the midi out on the Yamy to control the TD-30, might be interesting , until I replace the cymbals and then the toms.

Comment

Originally posted by dardalius View Post
                    It was a 1000, I'm in the UK. I think my next purchases will be a VH-13, CY-15R and a pad for Snare, not decided on that yet. Everything else I'll probably have to live with as single zone pads/cymbals depending on how configurable the trigger system is on the TD-30 and if it can understand the switch information from the Yamy pads. Alternatively I suppose I could use the midi out on the Yamy to control the TD-30, might be interesting , until I replace the cymbals and then the toms.

That's what I figured. Saw a possible $1,000 for a TD-30 and thought it must have been too good to be true. $1,500 is about right for the US market used as well.
                    Last edited by jpsquared482; 01-07-15, 07:58 AM.

Comment

As perceval said, search in here, we've discussed this at great length over the years.

What pads do you want to use? Our discussion has been centered on cymbals.

I know from testing that Yamaha's PCY-135/155 cymbals will work fine out of the box as 2-zone cymbals on my TD-12 which means they'll do the same on your TD-30. Yamaha's TCS pads (as well as their all rubber pads) will also work just fine although you won't get all the specifics you would with them (like the snare) if you used them ona Yammie module.

Regarding the HH, stick with Roland on a Roland module.

www.digitaldrummermag.com
                      www.dauphinehotel.com
                      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I Use TP100 Yamaha pads. Piezo/switch/switch as far as I can tell. I've been looking for the circuit diagrams to confirm. The knob is just a stepper as far as I can tell.

Comment

Working...
                        X