Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Monitor mix, uh...help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor mix, uh...help!!

Hey guys. I once again have a question concerning PA design. Let me tell you what I want to do.

In my studio, I want to be able to provide a few headphone monitor mixes with 'temp' effects for the artist. I'm currently doing this by (using my digi 001 I/O box) taking the outs 3-8 to my 14-channel mixer, and I plug those in to channels 1-6. Now I can't create (up to 2 on my mixer) aux sends, or monitor sends, or in this case...headphone sends.

Now here's my deal. I want to be able give the artist a headphone mix with some effects in it. We all know that we can perform better when we sweeten our sound. For example for the vocalist. He will always perform better when he's not listening to the sound of his sound booth, but rather with his voice ringing with the sweet sounds of reverb.

I dont want these effects applied during recording because I want the original track dead. No effetcs. i just want the artist to hear themselves rock, not studio dead.

Can anyone out there tell me how to mix this. I would assume you use the channel inserts on the mixer or something like that. But I dont know how to do that. I would like to use an inexpensive multi-effects unit like the ART FX-1 Multi-Effects unit, or the Fostex DE-1 Dual Channel Multi-Effects Processor. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/40383 .
    I'm partial to the second one because it can work two seperate channels at once.

Maybe I could just take the headphone mix and pump it through one of these units. I've never used effects in my monitor mixes so this is a new thing for me. Can anyone out these help me out?! Thanks so much!
    The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

I use a Mackie VLZ-1402. A very nice mixer. One problem, a little small. But tell me, am I approaching this the right way? Does anyone have experience doing the same thing?

Comment

Yes, thats it. Except for the fact that your picture was made up of smaller ones, but yes the mackie 1402.

Comment

Working...
      X