Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a hot spot on one of my toms ...right in the center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a hot spot on one of my toms ...right in the center

I'm wondering if this is an adjustment problem or if the foam my be getting worn out? It's noticeably louder right in the center over the dot, so some of hits are too loud. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks. Oh, the head is a PD120.
    TD6 kit, TD10 kit, 7 piece Tama Star Classics

If it's mesh, you can try tightening the head and or adjusting the sensitivity to see if it helps. If mesh, the cone may be a bit high.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

From my experience, there is nothing you can really do about it. It is a direct force down the middle of the cone from the stick, as opposed to the mesh pushing on it when you hit anywhere else. The key is to never hit the center... Are you sure this is a new condition? Any pad with a center cone will do this.
      Yamaha DTX-502 / (3) PCY155 Cymbals / HH65 HH Pedal
      Roland KD-9 Kick / DIY Snare (1 zone with DTX...)

Comment

I am also noticing a center hot spot issue on one of my toms (PDX100) with my TD-11K. The strange thing here is it does not appear to be a hardware issue. If I switch the cable with one of the other toms the problem stays with the cable not the drum pad. I have checked the pad setting for each and they appear the same. Maybe I'm missing something. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post
          From my experience, there is nothing you can really do about it. It is a direct force down the middle of the cone from the stick, as opposed to the mesh pushing on it when you hit anywhere else. The key is to never hit the center... Are you sure this is a new condition? Any pad with a center cone will do this.
          Well actually all the other heads are more linear in the way they perform. Hitting anywhere in the central 75% of the center area produces a fairly uniform volume. This one tom stands out as having a very sensitive spot right in the middle. There is something off and I guess I'll dig into it and see what I can find. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Zone47 View Post

Well actually all the other heads are more linear in the way they perform. Hitting anywhere in the central 75% of the center area produces a fairly uniform volume. This one tom stands out as having a very sensitive spot right in the middle. There is something off and I guess I'll dig into it and see what I can find. Thanks for the feedback.
            Try swapping that PD-120 tom with the tom next to it, or easier yet: swap the two tom cables at the back of the module. If the problem follows the PD-120 there could be a problem with the cone/piezo. If the problem is a trigger setting of the input .... the tom you swap it with would react with the hot spot problem.

If you determine the problem is with the pad take the head off and inspect the foam for wear. Cones can wear or deteriorate over time. Roland mesh heads normally last many, many years, but cones will need to be replaced over time.
            Last edited by JmanWord; 11-02-14, 01:31 PM.
            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Just FYI...how many years on average will a Roland cone last?

K
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
                Just FYI...how many years on average will a Roland cone last?

K
                I'm sure there are lots of variables, but generally quite a few years. I've used Roland cones on many of my own converted drums with Roland heads and have seen considerable wear on the snare cone after a few years. His pad is a PD-120 so that is definitely one that has been out long enough to be suspect for wear. It is pretty easy to tell if it has worn down once you pop the mesh head off. The height of a Roland cone is 1 3/8" and the tip is flat. The more wear the less the contact with the head, and since the height of the platform is not adjustable in the Roland pad the easiest thing to do is replace the foam.
                I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

Try swapping that PD-120 tom with the tom next to it, or easier yet: swap the two tom cables at the back of the module. If the problem follows the PD-120 there could be a problem with the cone/piezo. If the problem is a trigger setting of the input .... the tom you swap it with would react with the hot spot problem.

If you determine the problem is with the pad take the head off and inspect the foam for wear. Cones can wear or deteriorate over time. Roland mesh heads normally last many, many years, but cones will need to be replaced over time.
                  Good idea! Thanks I'll do that and report back!

Comment

It's not the drum. This is a TD10 kit, so I have 4 toms but I'm running a TD12 brain, so I'm using Aux2 for the 4th tom and I must have something set too sensitive on it. I'll have to dig through the manual and see what can be done.... unless someone here knows right off the top of their head.

Comment

check the pad trigger settings within the module for gain and sensitivity, another issue may be in the trigger compression setting. linear setting would be a good start and also possible reduction of the compression gain setting on the problematic tom input. it doesn't matter if the settings match the other tom inputs, just set it till it matches the performance of the others and to dial out the hot spot.

edit, i just read that you are using the aux 2 input which is probably not set up on the setting that i mensioned above. (I'm sure that's the problem.) a good start would be to go in the settings of another tom, write down the settings then mimic the same trigger and compression settings to the aux 2. that would get you close then you can fine tune it from there.
                      Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post

edit, i just read that you are using the aux 2 input which is probably not set up on the setting that i mensioned above. (I'm sure that's the problem.) a good start would be to go in the settings of another tom, write down the settings then mimic the same trigger and compression settings to the aux 2. that would get you close then you can fine tune it from there.
                        Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

What it turned out to be was the aux1 and 2 jacks were set for cymbals and not pads. I set it for a pad and it's fine now. Thanks guys for the help!! There is still a lot about this TD12 brain that I need to learn, but at least the kit sounds good now!
                        Last edited by Zone47; 11-21-14, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X