Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-20 (not TDW-20) set up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-20 (not TDW-20) set up...

My sincerest apologies if this is posted somewhere, and if it is, PLEASE PLEASE just reply with the URL.

I've had a Roland TD-20 set I bought used (practically brand new) for about 2 years now. I don't think anyone at the church from where I bought the set took the trouble to really go through and set the triggers like they should and the User Manual is...well...let's just describe it as the usefulness of mammary glands on a boar hog.

The issue, is that I've tried to go through the triggers and follow the directions for a different model drum set (like the TD-30) to set the brain box, but it doesn't really work or I don't really know what I'm doing (probably most of the latter). At any rate, for the time being I'm routing the sound thru the headphone jack into a decent Bose headset. I just find that I have to slide ALL the Group Faders to the MAX to get any sound out of them...ESPECIALLY the hi-hat and cymbals. I KNOW the intent of the Faders is to NOT have them at MAX level just to hear what's being played.

I know there are folks who've been through this and again...I PROFUSELY apologize if this has been posted/covered before. Just copy/paste a URL and I'll read away. And again, this is specifically for the TD-20...if the TDW-20 is the same exact thing, then I'll take that guidance. If it makes any difference whatsoever, I typically play most of everything on the "70's Record" Drum Kit.

Many thanks!!!
    SP

You can raise your internal mixer volumes on the TD-20, but before you go through that ........ Most likely the low volume you are experiencing is related to the headphone impedance. Headphones with low impedance work best with Roland sound modules. Check the specs of the Bose headphones you are using and list the model no. and impedance if you can find it. That would help determine whether the impedance is the reason for the low volume from the headphones.
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Jman. I am using the Bose AE2 Headphones. I looked in their user manual for any impedance info and there wasn't any; couldn't find anything on the internet either. At one point, I was getting pretty good sound/volume off the kit, but then I went and screwed around with the trigger settings per an article based on the TD-30 (I think that was it) and after that, it's kinda stunk.

So I'm looking to see if there is any guidance out there specifically for the TD-20 control unit.

Thanks again and have great weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadesPatterson View Post
        I am using the Bose AE2 Headphones. I looked in their user manual for any impedance info and there wasn't any; couldn't find anything on the internet either.
        Quite low:

38 Ohms: Headphone Measurements: Bose AE2 - InnerFidelity

Quoted as 32 Ohms by Bose: Looking for Answers about Bose - AE2 Audio Headphones

Bruce

Comment

Since Bruce already mentioned those headphones have a low impedance that should not be the problem. One thing you could do is a factory reset. That will put the module parameters back to default factory. Then check the pad types and make sure the correct pad type is set for your pads. That would put you back to square one. But if you do a factory reset be sure to do a module backup on a CF card first, that way you can get back to all your current kits and settings if you need to, without loosing anything.
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Sounds like a possibility that the heads were not tightened properly, and the cones have been worn down with playing over time. The Bose are fine. I love mine.
            Alan
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Working...
            X