Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Why Label Your Cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Label Your Cables?

In many of the posts I've read, people have asked about, given suggestions regarding, and generally lamented, the setup and packoing of their cables. I want to know what purpose the individual labeling and positioning of each cable serves. I'm not trying to start a fight here, I'm simply confused. A cable is a cable, is it not? For the sake of argument, let us say a given setup uses three mono cables and two stereo cables. What is the advantage to labeling and cataloging exactly which input the mono vs. the stereos go to, as opposed to just seperating them during the pack-up and plugging them in as necessary? Thanks.

-Jaay

time......at some gigs your band might have 10 mins to set up if your lucky.sound check,equip check,set up.all takes time.
    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Originally posted by Jaay:
      What is the advantage to labeling and cataloging exactly which input the mono vs. the stereos go to, as opposed to just seperating them during the pack-up and plugging them in as necessary? Thanks.

-Jaay
      Many people actually use the metal clamps and velcro strips supplied with the kit to fasten their cords to the rack. Heck, some of them even do this in an organized and neat fashion. When done that way, you end up with 12 cords dangling at the ends. I used white out and painted a small circle on the ends of the cords and put the trigger numbers on them using a black marker.

But, if you are going to remove each and every cord each time you gig, you're probably right. It wouldn't provide much benefit that way.
      ------
      Ha! I just read what I wrote. From the pictures I have seen, almost no one attaches their cables to their rack neatly. I don't know what came over me. I'm outta control.

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited June 16, 2002).]
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
        From the pictures I have seen, almost no one attaches their cables to their rack neatly. I don't know what came over me. I'm outta control.
        I did. Took me whole bloody day to do and redo it as well. And there's still stuff dangling between the Mackie and the TD-10s. Very un-German, that.

[This message has been edited by deus62 (edited June 16, 2002).]
        My equipment:
        :: (Expanded, TDW-1 with V-Cymbal Control)
        :: 2x CY-15R, 1x CY12H, 2 CY12R/C
        :: 1x Pad-120, 8x Pad-80R, 6x PD-7, 1x PD-9, 1x KD-120
        :: 1x FD-7
        :: 1x Roland MDS-10, 6x Sonor Delite double cymbal stands
        :: 1x DW 5000 Pedal
        :: 1x Mackie 1202 VLZ
        :: 1x NAD C521 CD-Player

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

I, for one have found it to be very simple to #1 plug the cables to their locations, then route the cables so that they are near your drums and at the same time use the clips for the specific drum,(by the drum). The velcro works well toward the module bundling the bulk of the cables. I have my cables marked with pretty blue masking tape with drum names and module names respectively. Hell, I even went so anal as to mark the position of the stand and all of the different positional set-ups of the drums. I drive a Honda, so I gotta comply.
          Scott

Comment

As I see it, the biggest benefit to me is some of the cables to triggers are Stereo (snare, crash), and others are Mono (toms, kick)... If I am in a hurry, I don't want to have to remember which are which. As far as cleaning up the cables on the rack... I bought the velcro ties, but I am not sure yet how I want to do it... I have a Hart Rack and I am still working on the quick portability factor. At least I found a bag large enough to hold all the rack components entirely... Still brainstorming on a way to carry the triggers. Here's a cost effective solution, tell me what you think:

I can purchase one or two medium size foot lockers at Target for about $30 apiece. I can purchase foam at a fabric store. I then cut and glue the foam as a liner into the lockers -- then use separate pieces as additional insulation (for the triggers and module). I would have 4 carrying pieces -- two lockers (maybe I can fit all electronics in one), a bag for cables and power supplies and sticks and pedals, and a bag for the rack. Anyone see any glaring faults with my logic?

I am still in the "Getting to know you" phase of edrumming and am not quite ready to go out on the road with 'em yet so this is still in the planning stages. Anyone's thoughts here would be welcome. Oh... the Hart triggers are too big for Roland's cases.

I guess I got off topic a bit... damn caffeine!
            Using Hart MegaPro with Roland TD8, amped by Roland KC-500

Comment

I move my VPro set 3-4 times a week. All of my cables are tucked/taped into 3 individual cable wraps which are then tie-wrapped neatly to the frame, allowing for all cables to remain in a fixed repeatable location. Slack is built in to allow for folding up the rack. Labeling is a must for me to ensure I can quickly set-up correctly (especially in low light), and even then I sometimes mess up (7 into a 1, 9 into a 6). Three cable ends lay on the floor (HH, Snare and Kick) so labeling again is needed). I've sent off pics to several members before, so I'm not the only organized fanatic drummer out there. In the end, it all depends on what you want to deal, or not deal with. Just think how much fun it would be if Roland didn't label the modules input!
              Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

Working...
              X