Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDW-20 will not upgrade to 2.52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDW-20 will not upgrade to 2.52

I recently bought a TDW-20 for my TD20 module. When I fitted the board I tried to update the software but got the error message below.

This was trying to upgrade using the supplied CF card. I downloaded the software from Roland and still the same. I updated my TD20 to 1.10 and tried again and still the same. I contacted drum-tec and they sent me an early version of the software 2.01 and this updated ok. I then thought I would be able to upgrade to 2.52 but no exactly the same message as above. I called Roland UK and the tec person said 2.52 was not for the TD20. Everything on the roland site says it is. Any ideas? I'm ok on the software I have but confused.

Thanks

Mark
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

I wonder why that error message identifies your module as a TD-20X? (A TD-20+TDW-20 is only equivalent after 2.52 is installed.)

Did you ask Roland UK why their own site contradicts what you were told?:

TDW-20 System Update Version 2.52 (PC - CompactFlash): This is the latest operating system update for the TD-20 with a TDW-20 installed.

Bruce

Comment

I know I don't get that either as when I go to the info it says it is a TD20 with TDW-20 board on software 2.01. The email option from the UK website is down (has been all week) I'm going to call them next week and get hold of someone else and send them all my details. If it was a TD20X I wouldn't need the expansion board. I'm also sort of hoping someone has heard of this before especially since the earlier software I was then given does recognise the correct hardware.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
        I recently bought a TDW-20 for my TD20 module. When I fitted the board I tried to update the software but got the error message below.

This was trying to upgrade using the supplied CF card. I downloaded the software from Roland and still the same. I updated my TD20 to 1.10 and tried again and still the same. I contacted drum-tec and they sent me an early version of the software 2.01 and this updated ok. I then thought I would be able to upgrade to 2.52 but no exactly the same message as above. I called Roland UK and the tec person said 2.52 was not for the TD20. Everything on the roland site says it is. Any ideas? I'm ok on the software I have but confused.

Thanks

Mark
        I'll leave the question as to whether 2.52 is compatible with an original TD-20 to Roland, but I can attest to the fact that 2.52 is DEFINITELY compatible with a TD-20 upgraded with a TDW-20 - which is what you now own.

This is also precisely what I owned and enjoyed for several years and yes, I loaded version 2.52 on it and it functioned flawlessly. So you're definitely heading in the right direction :-)

I would chalk up the misguided statement from Roland's tech support to a misunderstanding or miscommunication. Meanwhile, I can't directly help you figure out why your 2.52 firmware isn't loading - no doubt you're checking into all the usual suspects, like bad card/insertion, bad firmware file, need for reboot, hard reset, etc. - but I would not give up getting to the bottom of it based on bad guidance from that Roland UK tech person on the phone.

Comment

Thanks for that. At least I know it should work. I've tried two different CF cards and 2.51 as well as 2.52. I also got 2.52 from different locations. When I couldn't get it to work at all I also upgraded my TD20 to the latest TD20 code which was 1.10. It's an odd one this. It's like there is a flag set somewhere making the Upgrade thing it's a different model. What do you mean by hard reset? Turning off and on or is there something else that can be done?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
            Thanks for that. At least I know it should work. I've tried two different CF cards and 2.51 as well as 2.52. I also got 2.52 from different locations. When I couldn't get it to work at all I also upgraded my TD20 to the latest TD20 code which was 1.10. It's an odd one this. It's like there is a flag set somewhere making the Upgrade thing it's a different model. What do you mean by hard reset? Turning off and on or is there something else that can be done?

Cheers
            Oops, sorry if my "hard reset" comment wasn't precisely on point. Often there's some kind of reboot beyond a simple factory reset routine for hardware of this sort - the technicians usually know what it is (like some combination of buttons pressed while turning the unit on) but I do not recall ever using such a feature on my own expanded TD-20 ... or even know whether there in fact is anything like this for the Roland TD modules beyond what's shown in the user manual. You could google around to see if there's any coverage on it anywhere and/or ask Roland directly if such a procedure even exists. Sorry again if I raised false hopes for a simple fix!

Comment

No problem :-) I'm going to ring the helpline again Monday now I'm armed in the knowledge it should work. Cheers
              Here are the pics off what version the unit actually is and when I try to upgrade.

Last edited by mkok; 10-19-14, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I appreciate that this may just be more of the same old same old for you, but here's a zip of the Roland v2.52 available on the US Roland site. Sometimes different regions have different servers, and perhaps the file your region is pointing to got corrupted? Anyhow, the one that's attached worked fine on my TDW-20, so perhaps it'll solve your issue for you. Cheers - OneWatt
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. I did try that one as well but had another go just in case but no luck. After speaking to someone today I'm emailing all my details and screen shots so will see what they have to say.

By the way how do you put a signature at the bottom as I can't seem to find it in my account? Cheers

Comment

Sorry that firmware file didn't change anything for you. Worth trying at least. Will be curious to hear what Roland says about all this.

Funny question about signatures: as mine seems to come and go without my doing anything after I first entered it. So you got me poking around ...

Turns out in the upper right of your screen, there's a drop-down menu associated with your user name. Select "User Settings" and then "Account" and signature settings are buried somewhere in those options listed.

Comment

I will update when Roland get back to me. Found the Signature setting. Cheers

Comment

Roland sent me 2.51. Needless to say it didn't work. Lets see what tomorrow brings

Comment

That's very strange. I sure hope they don't next say "ok, just send your module to us..."
                          That's when you'll face a sticky choice!

Is there anything to the idea of (a) downgrading to the original firmware (b) removing the TDW upgrade board (c) rebooting the TD-20 original with the board. And then REINSTALLING the TDW upgrade board, performing the upgrade routine all over again from scratch? Maybe something in that initialization routine didn't take quite properly?

Just groping for clues here.

Comment

I see what your getting at but I did a lot of experimenting with the card in and out before I got a software version that worked.

I spent 3 days taking the card in and out. At first I thought it just wasn't being recognised. In fact I was convinced of this as when I removed the card I got the exact same message for 2.52 as when the card was in. At this point I tried every combination I could find on the internet and was about to send the card back. The guys at drum-tec then sent me the original software 2.01. This installer is not the same as 2.51 or 2.52. which is why I think it worked and the later ones don't. I think it uses a different technique to identify the presence of the TDW-20. Because it does work I'm reluctant to do anything drastic because it works well and the sounds are good for practice without booting up my PC to use the better sounds of SD2. I may never need the features of 2.52 or 2.51 but I am intrigued to know what the problem is.

By the way my last edrums were a ddrum4 which my son now has and I built many a drum trigger including my own centre cone in a real drum with a mesh head. I've been reading through the forums and this site is a real wealth of knowledge. Brilliant

Comment

It's clear you're quite knowledgeable and in a solid position to get this oddity resolved... ok, steady as she goes! Keep us posted for posterity. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X