Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-20 Expanded - Boot Up Issue (New Battery)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-20 Expanded - Boot Up Issue (New Battery)

Hi all,
    I've been a member at vdrums forum for several years, but haven't posted a whole lot. I see my profile shows I'm a "new" user so I assume there was some sort of reset to the message boards some time back.

I do have an issue I was hoping some of you could assist me with. I have a TD-20 Expanded module I bought used a while ago and never got around to using it. Recently I had an audition to prepare for and needed to get my Vdrums up and running to rehearse. When I powered the module up I got a screen shot that read: "System Initialize. Clear all data and load factory preset data. Press F5 to Execute" (see photo attached). When I selected F5 and executed the load the following message popped up: "Warning. Backup Battery Low!"

Assuming that the backup battery was indeed low, I purchased a new (proper) battery. I found a tutorial on YouTube how to change the battery and I did so as per the instructions. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem with the warnings that pop up. Each time I power down the the module, I have to work through these prompts and reload any pre-made kits from the CF card. Obviously this is not the end of the world, but it is very inconvenient. I believe I read somewhere that this was a known issue with the TD-20s and the only fix is to send the module in for servicing. Can anyone verify if this is true? I can't find that information I read about the "known problem". With this module being so old, I'm certain there is no warranty for it, but if this is a known issue, does Roland make these repairs at a low or zero cost? Or, is it possible I've done something wrong with installing the new battery? I'm certain I put it in correctly and I check the voltage of the battery I replaced and it reads a full charge. I don't believe this problem is because of a dead or low battery.

I appreciate any assistance you can offer. Including reputable (and quick) service locations.

Thanks!

Dan
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Dan (aka red66charger)
    VDrums: TD-12 Module, KD120, 3 PD120's, 2 PD100's, CY16R, 2 CY14C's
    Acoustic: 1964 Rogers Wine Red Ripple 22&20/12/13/14/Holiday snare, 1967 Slingerland Yellow Tiger Pearl 20/13/16/COB Snare

Unfortunately, your board will need to be re-flowed. There was a known breakdown due to a specific soldering technique use in production. Contact Roland, and ask them if they can provide the service for you. I had to do it. Only took about a week to send/receive, but that was years ago. Hopefully, they will still offer the service. If not, try searching. There was a member here that did it himself. I think he mentioned how, and you may be able to have a local shop do it.
    Last edited by Alan VEX; 09-18-14, 07:38 PM.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...display-repair

Comment

Working...
      X