Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

roland vh-11 hihat woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roland vh-11 hihat woes

hi all, first time on this forum. i've got a vh-11 hihat, just can't get it to work right. sent it back to roland service, came back as 'fine' with no problems. no matter how i adjust this thing its got to be one of the worst pieces of roland equipment i've ever bought. this is my second one. i find that i have to over compensate with my left foot on my hihat stand a lot when i open and close, plus doing 16ths is next to near impossible compared to my old fd8 and cy5 i wish i had back. using it with a td-15 module which works perfectly. any one else out there love these things as much as i do? any tricks to getting them to work like a real hihat the way they're advertised to be? i've been playing for 22 years, mostly acoustic but also roland vdrums for about 3 years. using a tama iron cobra chain drive hh stand. maybe i'm missing something in the setup, i've read about trying to find the sweet spot but can't find it for the life of me like others have posted elsewhere on the net.......

Welcome to the forum! I have a VH-11 using it with TD-6 and Addictive Drums2 and can't say that I'm having your problems currently, but I did have to play with the settings a bit. Have you adjusted the hat per the specs to sit 3mm above the sensor module? I assume you've played with the open/close dial on the top of the hat. I did find that the VH-11 is quite a bit heavier than a regular hat and I had to increase the spring tension in my hi-hat stand to compensate. I'm not sure if your stand has that adjustment but that for sure made a difference for me in terms of action. Perhaps try a different hi-hat stand if possible. Also, check in the TD-15 to make sure you have it set properly for the VH-11. Maybe post a video of the problem you're having specifically so we can see your woes in action.

Comment

◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
      ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
      PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

thanks for the info. i find that i just can't use the 3mm recommended distance at all, maybe it's just the way i've come to play over the years. as in the youtube video above which i've seen many times, they even say that you can of course raise the hat higher. i have to use much more space between the sensor and the top hat and literally lift my left foot right off the hihat pedal when opening and closing during intricate pieces. played with the open/close dial until blue in the face. spring tension makes no difference, tried that as well. td-15 is definitely set to vh-11. i think the only way i can explain it is by posting a video which i'll try to do. i saw some posts somewhere about finding the 'sweet spot' but just can't seem to find them now. i had this vh-11 set up better before it went to roland than after it came back. doesn't make sense since they said there's nothing wrong with it although they did admit that due to the nature of these hihats, you pretty much have to put a different foot on when playing these things which is really too bad. right now, i feel like this was a real waste of $$ since it cost me just over 500 cdn plus another 300 for the stand

Comment

I found the vh-11 very usable on my td-9 when I had them. I kept the gap between 3-5mm.
          What kind of gap are you using if not 3mm?

I found the thumb screw almost useless if the gap was much over 5mm.
          I think you may have to adapt your style to the vh-11 a little as it is not an acoustic hihat.
          My td-30 / vh-13 is much more like it's acoustic counter parts in respect to playing style (it better be for the price!).
          "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I had the same problems. I had to adjust the gap to about 5-6mm to get it to work properly. On my acoustic hi-hat, the gap is a little closer than the electronic hi hat. Now I have to relearn how to use the electronic hi-hat and have it respond like my acoustic hi-hat. I also turned up the sensitivity to 32 to be able to play 32nd notes clearly.
            Roland TD-15K & TD-3 Drumsets, Roland Octopad II, Alesis D4 & DM5 Drum Modules, Alesis HR-16 & HR-16B Drum Machine & Sequencer, Rolls Headphone Amp, Yamaha 12-Channel Mixing Board, Shure In-Ear Monitor Buds, AKG Headphones, Ableton Live 9 DAW, Tama Drums, Zildjian & Sabian Cymbals, Shure, AKG, & Beyer-Dynamic Mikes..etc..............

Comment

There seem to be many threads regarding problems with the vh11. Whether it's user difficulties or technical faults there just seems to be a reasonable amount of vh11 owners having issues with their vh11s. I'm keeping with my cy5 until I can afford a td30 and a vh13 lol

Comment

Sell it and buy a Gen 16 set of hats. Best solution if you can't get it adjusted properly. They still go for a quite a bit of $$$ used.

Comment

I have my gap set to about 5 mm as well, and really have no problems... (I know, "works for me" isn't all that helpful, but perhaps we can get some sort of dataset built up.)
                  TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

just want to make sure i have this right about the 3-5mm gap. you're talking about the actual gap between the top of the sensor and the bottom of the hihat cymbal (or as roland calls it in the manual "the metal portion of the center of the lower hihat" meaning the bottom of the cymbal), correct? in other words, the only way to adjust this gap is with the clutch screw so how on earth do you get underneath to tell how many mm it is? i can't measure the gap once the top cymbal is on. maybe that's one dumb question but if i've got it right, i just can't play these things with that small of a gap. how do you --actually-- set a gap on these to 3-5 mm? do you just guess at it?

also how many of you actually use the meter on your module to set these up? in the youtube video, they don't even bother and i find that when i do and get the >---< to turn black, i still don't get the correct results. i do better by not using the meter. i use paiste 2002 sound edges on my acoustic kit and there's a gap of at least a half inch between the two cymbals. any less and you may as well not use sound edges.

i think kennyindundee is right about a reasonable amount of vh11 owners having issues. i wish i had my time over again, would have kept my cy5 and fd8. i'll try messing with it some more but i've messed with it so many times that it's er, a big mess. thanks roland for this wonderful piece of technology. maybe a vh-14 or vh-15 will solve my problems

Comment

one other thing here... in the youtube video, there's no way that they're using a 3-5mm gap, it's way more than that and if i could get my vh-11 to sound and work as good as the one in the video i'd be happy. then again, maybe i'm wrong but that sure looks like a bigger gap to me. btw, thanks to every body for chiming in on this, i'm determined to get this to work somehow

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
                        There seem to be many threads regarding problems with the vh11. Whether it's user difficulties or technical faults there just seems to be a reasonable amount of vh11 owners having issues with their vh11s. I'm keeping with my cy5 until I can afford a td30 and a vh13 lol
                        I'm selling a barely used VH13 hi hat. It's been used for about six months and mint. $550 includes shipping to USA.
                        - EKIT: Jobeky Drums: Custom 5 piece "Lacewood fade" & Hart 13" Pro Chrome snare. ROLAND MG V-CYMBALS
                        - AKIT: PDP Concept Maple by DW. Zildjian K & A Custom cymbals. Hybrid acoustic mic'd / 2Box triggered kit

MY YOU TUBE DRUM COVER CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/gregthegroove

Comment

would love to have a vh13 but they're a no-go with the td-15 from what i understand

Comment

I have the same hi hat stand as you and I had to increase the spring tension to make it work properly.

Also I saw a video where a guy used a large washer in between the clutch and the the top of the VH-11 to ensure the switch inside is working.

Roland TD8KV with TD-10 Expanded Brain. KT-10. PD-120. PD-100 x 2. PD-80 x 2. Extra CY-12 cymbal. VH-11. TDM-10, NE-10. Korg PA-800. Roland XP-30. Yamaha Clavinova CLP-970. Mackie Mixing desk. Genelec Monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by grimer View Post
                              just want to make sure i have this right about the 3-5mm gap. you're talking about the actual gap between the top of the sensor and the bottom of the hihat cymbal (or as roland calls it in the manual "the metal portion of the center of the lower hihat" meaning the bottom of the cymbal), correct? in other words, the only way to adjust this gap is with the clutch screw so how on earth do you get underneath to tell how many mm it is? i can't measure the gap once the top cymbal is on. maybe that's one dumb question but if i've got it right, i just can't play these things with that small of a gap. how do you --actually-- set a gap on these to 3-5 mm? do you just guess at it?

also how many of you actually use the meter on your module to set these up? in the youtube video, they don't even bother and i find that when i do and get the >---< to turn black, i still don't get the correct results. i do better by not using the meter. i use paiste 2002 sound edges on my acoustic kit and there's a gap of at least a half inch between the two cymbals. any less and you may as well not use sound edges.

i think kennyindundee is right about a reasonable amount of vh11 owners having issues. i wish i had my time over again, would have kept my cy5 and fd8. i'll try messing with it some more but i've messed with it so many times that it's er, a big mess. thanks roland for this wonderful piece of technology. maybe a vh-14 or vh-15 will solve my problems

Seriously, stick your head under the hi-hat and look. You should see the hat riding about 3-5mm above the little actuator on the control unit. If you see your metal rod from your hat, then you've got enough space. Put the hat on, then press your pedal down a little, then tighten the nut, you should have a gap between the two if you do this. Also the open close dial on the top of the hat is just a fine adjustment for the 3-5mm gap.

Comment

Working...
                              X