Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Front-of-house testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front-of-house testing

Greetings all. i was readingposts on playing live, and a thought crossed my mind

Regardless of whether you play electrics or acoustics, it is generally regarded as a good idea to have someone else play your kit while you sit in the house to listen for problems. I, like many of us probably, am unlucky in the fact I have no one to do this for me, as I am the only one with drumming ability in many of the bands I have played with. I might have to take my E's with me for a gig soon, and I wanted to take this valuable advice with me. The question: if I recorded a simple phrase or just some licks into a small sampler(read that as my SP-202), and ran that through the PA while I sat in the house, would that give me the same results as someone playing my e-kit? Or would it not because the sound is coming from a different source? Thanks,

-Jaay

Why not play back a pre-recorded pattern from your module?

Comment

I don't have a sequencer. My kit consists of a sampler, an SP-202, and a TD-5.

Comment

That sounds like a decent idea, but you need to make a new sample live at the gig each time you change something, and then play that back to check out the changes you made. ie, play a groove, listen to it, not enough kick drum in the mix. resample yourself playing with the kick louder, then play back the sample.. It's not a major deal I suppose, but more tedious than just 'record then play' on a brain that has a sequencer.. sound quality would be fine assuming it's 16 bit, 44.1kHz or better on the sampler. The nice thing about a sequencer is the realtime playback control though. Might be better off buying the cheapest/oldest standalone sequencer you can find and record into that. then you can adjust the td-5 in realtime while the sequencer does the playback for you. (can also balance your sp-202 level-wise during this step since you're not tying it up with playing back a new drum track).

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
        -Eric
        Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Working...
        X