Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trigger response?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger response?

Using roland TD10 module. At what point from the center (where the trigger is located) do you lose triggering? Seems like midway from center I lose triggering.
    Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
    Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
    DIY vdrums

You shouldn't 'lose' triggering anywhere on a fully functioning pad which is correctly set up with a supporting module. If you have Roland PD series pads on the correct trigger setting, it sounds like you need new foam cones. If you don't have this, let us know the rest of the setup - what's the pad/trigger, and what pad type and trigger settings are you using on the module?

Comment

Originally posted by flurbs View Post
      You shouldn't 'lose' triggering anywhere on a fully functioning pad which is correctly set up with a supporting module. If you have Roland PD series pads on the correct trigger setting, it sounds like you need new foam cones. If you don't have this, let us know the rest of the setup - what's the pad/trigger, and what pad type and trigger settings are you using on the module?
      ooooooo, sorry thinking this is a DIY thread so assumed reader knows I have DIY trigger. So, the trigger is 27mm piezo, DIY cone, and mesh heads (Hart dynamics and DIY screen mesh heads).
      DIY vdrums

Comment

When it does trigger, is the triggering strong and consistent? You mentioned using DIY cones. If the trigger response is good (when it triggers) maybe it is a cone height or cone density issue. If the cone doesn't remain in full contact with the head, maybe only center hits deflect the head enough to register. If the cone height is good (1/16" - 1/8" above the bearing edge) then maybe the foam you used isn't dense enough to transmit the lesser vibration of edge hits to the piezo.
        Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

I have DIY cones in my setup, and if I set the sensitivity too high (making the pad less sensitive to a hit), I can get that kind of behavior where only a center hit works, fades out by the middle. (TD-6V). Might be something else going on. Change any settings recently? Or did you just acquire the module?
          - - -
          Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Hi everybody! I I do not want to create a new topic, so I write here. I trying to do DIY cymbals, use module Roland TD-10 tdw. So I've tried many schemes, but i can't do my cymbals with two or three zones from one TRS. I get to do only one zone cymbal with choke. It's interesting that my snare may make two sounds - head and rim, but if I connect my snare into the ride input, then it make only one sound... Can somebody tell me the scheme of two/three zones cymbals with choke, which will work exactly with Td-10 module?

Comment

Сertainly thanks for you, markw10, but I've watched this video many times. And Racer52's schemes do not work with td10! I need help from specific td10 users, who use his own DIY cymbals with td10 module, and that cymbals two-zones/one cable orr may be even three-zones/one cable, and that people could show me they schemes. I'm inclined to think that td10 module have only one TRS input for the snare, all other inputs are MONO. However, the native roland cymbals have two or three zones and work with that module. Please, help me figure it out...

Comment

• Meshopotamia
              Meshopotamia commented
              Editing a comment
              Trigger jacks 2 (snare) and 10 (ride) are the ones that offer positional sensing on the TD-10. They are going to be TRS. You need to wire the ride cymbal as described in more than a few posts around here. Not sure what cymbal is 'stock' with a TD-10 for ride position?
              Last edited by Meshopotamia; 06-05-14, 09:21 PM. Reason: Edited for content

Originally posted by Yeahgor View Post
            Hi everybody! I I do not want to create a new topic,
            Why not?

I'm inclined to think that td10 module have only one TRS input for the snare, all other inputs are MONO.
            All TD-10 inputs are TRS (stereo). But their operation is very dependent on the selected Trigger Type, i.e.Piezo/Piezo or Piezo/Rim-Switch.

If you connect your snare to the ride input with a stereo cable, AND select a dual-piezo Trigger Type, you will get both head and rim sounds.

Originally posted by Meshopotamia View Post
            Trigger jacks 2 (snare) and 10 (ride) are the ones that offer positional sensing on the TD-10.
            ALL trigger inputs offer positional sensing on the TD-10 (expanded with TDW-1).

Bruce

Comment

• Yeahgor
              Yeahgor commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey BarT! I have already connected my snare into the ride input with a stereo cable and get only head sound. My snare is Piezo/piezo trigger type. In the description of td10 module is written, that he has eleven piezo/switch inputs and only one!!! piezo/piezo (I think just the same for the snare, whose work is correct). That means that I need to do my cymbals piezo/switch so that they work as expected? If you do not complicate, could you show me an example of piezo/switch scheme? thank you...

Originally posted by bwilburn79 View Post
            When it does trigger, is the triggering strong and consistent? You mentioned using DIY cones. If the trigger response is good (when it triggers) maybe it is a cone height or cone density issue. If the cone doesn't remain in full contact with the head, maybe only center hits deflect the head enough to register. If the cone height is good (1/16" - 1/8" above the bearing edge) then maybe the foam you used isn't dense enough to transmit the lesser vibration of edge hits to the piezo.
            Well as far as I can determine the cone height is fine. But as you say, I'm suspecting the cone density since it is a made from the sanding block foam. I noticed this with my TD3 and the TD10 module.

I'll try what Meshopotamia suggested to see if that makes a difference.
            DIY vdrums

Comment

Сertainly thanks for you, markw10, but I've watched this video many times. And Racer52's schemes do not work with td10! I need help from specific td10 users, who use his own DIY cymbals with td10 module, and that cymbals two-zones/one cable orr may be even three-zones/one cable, and that people could show me they schemes. I'm inclined to think that td10 module have only one TRS input for the snare, all other inputs are MONO. However, the native roland cymbals have two or three zones and work with that module. Please, help me figure it out...

check here for all the capabilities for each module. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_V-Drums

I'll be interested in this also, since I was thinking of following Race52's scheme.

keep us posted please

DIY vdrums

Comment

Thank's for links, it's very helpfull! So... TD-10 has only one piezo/piezo input (for snare). All other inputs are piezo/switch. So if I connect my snare in to the ride input, the drum produces only one sound - HEAD, and rim works not at all! I have a question here: what is that "switch", how it's look like, and this switch will produce rim sound without piezo? Can someone show me a "piezo/switch" diagram, which will work exactly with Td-10 module please?... I thought that this switch has the function of choking. And I've done such a trigger, which has one sound (head) and choke, but how to get to the second sound in this trigger?

Comment

Working...
                X