Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about toms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about toms

Hey Guys,

With any luck, I'll be in possession of a dirt cheap 2nd hand drum kit, by the end of the day. Now before I start ripping it apart and start making dual piezo crossbars for all the shells, I was wondering:

1: Does it make sense to put a rim piezo on a Tom?
    2: Does it make sense to add positional sensing on a tom? ( I'm going to do my build based on a 64 input megadrum module with positional sensing?
    3: If I don't need positional sensing on a tom, is it worth the hassle of dealing with the hotspot with a center placed piezo, or should I just put the piezo near the rim?
    Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Positional sensing is confined to Roland modules, only you can decide whether you need to wire/use it. Good luck with the build.

Comment

On 2box or such "common" module, I'd put it on the side and have it mono (and split the rest of the input for an additional effect/aux pad). But since you have an MD, I guess you can add a rim piezo as well. Simply because you have too many inputs anyway!
      Never really cared for PS on toms ...
      electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

My current build doesnt have rim triggers on the toms. Ive had toms with rim trigger on them on my first kit and Ive never used them. As far as poitional sensong goes, only Rolands high end modules support it. My current build has triggers mounted close to the edge of the head so there is little or no chance of the dreaded hotspot. Its a personal thing but for me having a hotspot when playing with dynamics can be problematic.

Comment

1. Depends on whether you want to have rim-sounds or not. Generally speaking, single-zone pads are easier to deal with.
          2. Depends on whether you are using a higher-end Roland module. If you don't use one, you can savely ignore Pos-Sens.
          3. No. If you don't need Pos-Sens, mount your trigger-cone off-center, and save yourself some hotspot-headache!

HTH
          Greetings from Switzerland,
          - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll go for single, off center triggering.
            Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

A sensible choice for your build IMO

Comment

Just my opinion but on my A to E high toms I have them set up dual zone with cow-bell on the rim on the first tom and tambourine on the rim of the second tom ... saves some space on the kit.... but having a slight cross talk issue but pretty sure the Rims mounts will take care of that.... using a side mounted diy trigger made out of a truss bracket with a short column of foam instead of a cone (kind of like a pintech trigger) and a piezo stuck to the shell with "Scotch Clear 5 lbs Mounting Tape"
                TD-6 Vexed... TD-12 vexed .... hard at work on an A to E conversion and pretty sure that will never end till i do.....lol

Comment

I went with single zone toms and off center trigger at the 6 o'clock but not too far from center. A little more than half way to the rim.

It's amazing how much better they "feel" with the hot spot out of the game.
                  TD-30 module, PDP A2E (22, 16, 14, 12, 10), Quartz triggers,
                  VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
                  Axis A21 Sabres, Axis A Longboards

Comment

Working...
                  X