Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piezo contruction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Piezo contruction

    Thanks for your replies to my recent post on crossbars. I did ask another questions about piezo construction but nobody has answered it so far. I've been trying to post this in the same thread but kept getting an error message so I'll try a new post...

    I'm just looking for simple confirmation of the basic construction of a piezo trigger for use with a cross bar. As I understand it it goes something like this, working upwards:
    • cross bar
    • rigid metal plate which is acoustically isolated from crossbar by either some foam tape or rubber enclosed screws/bolts
    • thin double sided tape or glue (what type??)
    • piezo with plain brass side down
    • further tape or glue (which??) on top of piezo (not sure if this is just applied to the brass, the ceramic or both)
    • foam cone or cylinder of approx 1.25" height with the whole assembly set so that the foam is approx 3mm above the level of the bearing edge.
    Anywhere near? And whilst on this, the rim trigger looks like a more simple affair with a simple L plate assembly attached internally under a mounting lug screw with a piezo stuck onto it. Thanks once again for your input.

  • #2
    1. crossbar yes. I used home construction trust brackets, see mine here : http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...th-screen-mesh
    2. yes
    3. yes thin (1mm or so) double sided tape. Don;t need much.
    4. yes
    5. same as 3. tape on brass the diameter of the ceramic. This allows the piezo to vibrate. Up to you if you need tape on top. Cone is mounted vertically and will stay in place without tape.
    6. here's the dimensions I used to make make cones from sanding block. http://www.toontrack.com/forum/e-drum-workshop/info-piezos-cone-dimensions-by-michael-beatnik/

    As far as the rim trigger, yes.

    OR you could mount the rim trigger in the center crossbar. Attach the metal plate above the crossbar using bolts, and isloate the bolts. Attach your head trigger with double sides tape to the metal plate. Strike the rim, you get the rim trigger, strike the head, get the head trigger only since it's isolated. See my drawing. Pictures are better than words sometimes.




    Wokrs perfectly...

    hope this helps..

    Last edited by ronyd; 05-16-14, 04:17 PM.
    Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
    Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
    DIY vdrums

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for that Ronyd. Sounds like I'm on the right track. It seems that 35mm piezos are generally used; would that be right? Same for both head and rim triggers? That pageon the toontrack site seems to have been deleted as with quite a few other pieces on the same site detailing trigger construction.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by docadiddle View Post
        Thanks for that Ronyd. Sounds like I'm on the right track. It seems that 35mm piezos are generally used; would that be right? Same for both head and rim triggers? That pageon the toontrack site seems to have been deleted as with quite a few other pieces on the same site detailing trigger construction.
        I've built my triggers using 35mm for heads and 25-27mm for rim(and they work just fine)...but Roland typically uses 27mm for the head and 35 for the rim. ...Quartz sells his like either way upon request.
        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
          I've built my triggers using 35mm for heads and 25-27mm for rim(and they work just fine)...but Roland typically uses 27mm for the head and 35 for the rim. ...Quartz sells his like either way upon request.
          Hey Daniel was just going to search forum on this. I got a used TD10 from Guitar center good deal. I'm going replace my ddrum pro triggers on my toms now with my dual triggers. After reviewing that pic on cone sizes from beatnik, didn't realize 2 sizes are being used. Been using 27mm for the head no problem. Wondering why 2 sizes? Bigger is hotter?
          Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
          Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
          DIY vdrums

          Comment


          • bwilburn79
            bwilburn79 commented
            Editing a comment
            I suspect Roland designs their basket and trigger platform first and then tests different piezo sizes and fixed resistance values to achieve optimal triggering. The point being, Roland uses the sizes optimal for the trigger pad in question. Your application might not yield the same results using their recipe. I favor using larger 35mm piezos and variable resistance. I have even used 43mm piezos for both head and rim but I also used pots on both to allow me to dial in the output. While you can forego the pots and tweak sensitivity and such in the module itself, I prefer to dial in the pad. When it comes to piezos, bigger usually means hotter.

        • #6

          Originally posted by ronyd View Post
          Hey Daniel was just going to search forum on this. I got a used TD10 from Guitar center good deal. I'm going replace my ddrum pro triggers on my toms now with my dual triggers. After reviewing that pic on cone sizes from beatnik, didn't realize 2 sizes are being used. Been using 27mm for the head no problem. Wondering why 2 sizes? Bigger is hotter?
          If you are planning to use the dual zone triggers for your toms running on a TD-10 you won't get dual zone tom sounds. The TD-10 has single zone toms if you are using Piezo/Piezo mesh head pads.
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
            If you are planning to use the dual zone triggers for your toms running on a TD-10 you won't get dual zone tom sounds. The TD-10 has single zone toms if you are using Piezo/Piezo mesh head pads.
            Well jman that's good to know. How did I miss that in Rolland's vdrums wiki chart. Eeeek... I am just ready to check it out. You saved me pulling my hair out
            Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
            Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
            DIY vdrums

            Comment

            Working...
            X