Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've tried searching but................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've tried searching but................

I am going to do an A to E conversion.

I have the A kit.

I am using a TD 20

I don't necessarily want to build my own components but I can certainly install them.

I don't need multiple triggers for any drums (snare, 3 toms, double pedal kick)

I will likely be using "real" cymbals.

Questions.:

When I replace the A heads with mesh, does anyone make full sized white mesh heads? I seem to see a lot of black mesh heads for full sized drums.and I don't dig them.

Trigger and related hardware suggestions? I googled a bunch of stuff and now my head is swimming. Most seem to mount the trigger in the center of the head, some mount at the edge.

A good place to find it all is in digital drummer magazine. They have all the products plus good reviews about them.

Check out the back issues for a review of the past reviewed products.

http://www.digitaldrummermag.com/HOME.html
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

As Perceval says, digitalDrummer has reviewed almost all the mesh head and trigger options available. Best to start here - http://www.digitaldrummermag.com/BACK_ISSUES.html You'll also find compilations of past reviews.
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

Zed triple x heads and great heads and they are white.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Keep us posted on what you decide. And remember...pics or it didn't happen lol

Comment

Just a quick note about the triggers:
              If you need single-zone only all-around the drumkit, this will make life rather easy.

Would you like to use Pos-Sens?
              If so, you best use center-mounted Quartz triggers.

If you can care less about Pos-Sens, a good rim-trigger will do.
              (All the usual suspects apply here: Triggera Intrigg, Wronka Easy-Trigger, DDrum Pro's or the cheaper Redshot's) - Plenty of choice!

HTH
              Greetings from Switzerland,
              - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                Just a quick note about the triggers:
                If you need single-zone only all-around the drumkit, this will make life rather easy.
                I'm all about making life easy!!

Would you like to use Pos-Sens?
                If so, you best use center-mounted Quartz triggers.
                I don't know if I care about Pos-sens???? Positional sensing? The hits get louder at the center? It seems like a good thing but realistically, I'm not sure it matters on my style of play/music. I just want to hit it and have it sound like a drum....with a volume control

If you can care less about Pos-Sens, a good rim-trigger will do.
                (All the usual suspects apply here: Triggera Intrigg, Wronka Easy-Trigger, DDrum Pro's or the cheaper Redshot's) - Plenty of choice!
                That's the problem. Too many choices.

I'm a great mechanic and the build is no problem. The technical end is making my head spin. I want to do it right the first time so I'm trying to get some first hand recommendations.

Another question. What is typically done with the reso head? Leave it on and very loose?

Comment

Originally posted by New Tricks View Post
                  I don't know if I care about Pos-sens???? Positional sensing? The hits get louder at the center? It seems like a good thing but realistically, I'm not sure it matters on my style of play/music. I just want to hit it and have it sound like a drum....with a volume control
                  A very nice, pragmatic way to approach this! I like it!

That's the problem. Too many choices.

Break it down like follows:

Pos-Sens?
                  If yes: Only Quartz!
                  If no: Rim-triggers (see below) or side-mounted Quartz

External or Internal?
                  External: DDrum Pro or DDrum Redshots (depending on your budget)
                  Internal: Wronka or Intrigg (lots of satified Intrigg-users on this forum!)

Tools-wise, you shouldn't really need more than a screw-driver and a tuning key.
                  (Maybe a hammer ...in case frustration comes up... )

Another question. What is typically done with the reso head? Leave it on and very loose?
                  Leave it on (for looks)
                  - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

OK.

Internal triggers.

I ordered Quartz brand triggers. Originally I thought Quartz was a type of trigger. The 22" bass drum conversion thread showed me it was a brand. I suppose the capital Q would have been a good clue

They look like the Roland triggers and were only $10 each so I am off to a good start. I can easily find some hardware for the cross supports/mounts.

My only question: Is the adhesive on the triggers good enough to last for several years?

Next step, heads.

All I know now is that I want white heads and the snare should be extra durable. I don't think I care about bounciness. I am accustomed to the Roland mesh heads and they seem a bit bouncier than my acoustic heads.

Comment

Yeah, Quartz is the brand.
                      'Center-mounted cone-trigger' would be the type of trigger, I guess.
                      But since there so many satified users, and Quartz is one of the few (if not the only one) to offer pre-made cones), it's as if the brand got synonymous with the type of product...

Kinda like Coke, Nivea, Kleenex, Xerox, Swatch, Toblerone, Ikea ...or Tempo in Germany, and whatnot!
                      Funny, commercial world....

- Dänoh

Comment

I use Quartz's parts for all my builds. Very consistent and reliable. Just a side note...building "Rolandesque"(center trigger) may be your best bet (whether crossbar or pan) just in case you decide you want all of the 20's features. If not, as you mentioned PS may not be a concern...I have built side triggers using Quartz parts also that function superbly also. So you'll be "good to go" with these. Post a build thread with pics too. Have fun.
                        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Daniel, what kind of heads have you used?

And, yes, I am going with the center crossbar style trigger. It just seems like the logical thing to do.

It will be a while (a few weeks?) before I get around to this but I will post pics.

As a bonus, my A kit is so big that I will have a whole A kit left over after converting half of it to electronic.

Comment

Daniel has has been using his own DIY meshes but I think he has used Rolands and Harts for sure in the past, if not others as well, right Daniel?

Comment

Doesn't his wife complain about the big holes in the screen doors?

Comment

• fulrmr(Daniel)
                                fulrmr(Daniel) commented
                                Editing a comment
                                hehehehe.........

• Meshopotamia
                                Meshopotamia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That was a good one, indeed.
                            Working...
                            X