Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spraying metal lugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KennyinDundee
    replied
    Thsnks guys, will check it out.

Leave a comment:

• NMcLaren
    replied
    Originally posted by perceval View Post
    How about using plastidip? They have some cool metal colors.
    I love this stuff! I too have done my car, my rims, my car body parts and it works great! A great temporary fix for sure until it gets scuffed up- but easy to replace!

Leave a comment:

• KennyinDundee
    replied
    Cheers Daniel. I might pop in there too then!

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    The Duplicolor will probly be at the auto parts store.

Leave a comment:

• KennyinDundee
    replied
    Thanks guys for all your advice. I will go to our local hardware store and see what theyve got. I will let you know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Duplicolor also has some nice colored metallic finishes that can be applied directly over metal...and even chrome to give it that "anodized" look. Also....if you have Plating shop near you....or even on line....it shouldn't be all that expensive to have the lot re-chromed.

Leave a comment:

• perceval
    replied
    dipyourcar.com for a lot of info.

Here's a video from them for the "true metallics" line:

Leave a comment:

• KennyinDundee
    replied
    What is plastidip guys? Ive never heard of it.

Leave a comment:

• Drum
    replied
    Plastidip is awsome,I have used it on my vehicles and it looks killer ,also no prep other than cleaning and 100% reversable

Leave a comment:

• perceval
    replied
    How about using plastidip? They have some cool metal colors.

Leave a comment:

• hairmetal-81
    replied
    Yes, why not - Whatever suits your fancy!

I'm sure something bold like red lugs looks sweet on a chrome shell!

Leave a comment:

• KennyinDundee
    replied
    Hmmmm...thanks everyone for the advice. A couple more questions if I may please... If I sand the lugs, I wouldve thought the primer would take to the metal better. However, do I need to sand first? Powder coating is out of the question. Im thinking nice and easy spraying of chrome or similar colour. Should I go with a different colour in contrast to the chrome shell? Whats everyones thoughts please?

Leave a comment:

• hairmetal-81
    replied
    From the little 'knowledge' (ahem) I could pick up when it came to the terms 'color' and 'metal', if you truly want a durable hardware-finish, instead of spraying you may think about powder-coating it... ....just spraying it could leave a flakey result...

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Cheddies
    replied
    As bwilburn points out above - you can do it, and it will look ok at the end, but it probably won't last very long.

Minimum I would do is metal primer and colour-coat.

Leave a comment:

• bwilburn79
    replied
    It's really a question of durability. I converted a Ludwig metal snare into a kick drum a while ago. I was in a hurry so I sprayed the hoops and lugs with Valspar black lacquer in a rattle can. I did very little prep, spraying directly over the chrome after cleaning with alcohol. It looks decent but I'm sure it won't stand up to much abuse. You certainly won't regret doing a quality job but you might regret it if you don't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X