Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY'ers what profession are you into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retiring military man in exactly a month from now at 39 yrs old ready to start a new career for a second retirement with Dell as a Project Manager.
    Roland TD-30KV, Alesis Strike Pro Kit, Tama HW, QSC K10x2, Logic Pro, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt Interface

Comment

Former electrical engineer turned orthopedic surgeon with a subspecialty in hand/micro,elbow and shoulder surgery. It's never boring but leaves a little less time for DIY than engineering.

Comment

• BWaj
        BWaj commented
        Editing a comment
        You really should develop a work ethic and stop goofing off so much. I mean, we ALL used to be Engineers and Surgeons too! How does one go from Engineering to the medical field? I mean, were you always looking to become a surgeon and just needed to get through school or was it a decision you made later in life? Just curious, very cool though.

• ThePod
        ThePod commented
        Editing a comment
        I had never really planned to go to medical school. I loved and still do love engineering, but it was a bit too impersonal for me. I wanted to have a bit more human interaction so I decided to finish my engineering degree and do all the requirements for medical school in the summers. I was fortunate enough to be able to that and still finish college in four years. I got accepted to medical school and off I went. Once I was down that path I was certain that I wanted to be a surgeon, but wasn't sure of exactly which kind. Once I saw what orthopedic surgeons did I was hooked man! They pay me to use hammers and saws on humans! How cool is that. The microsurgery thing is a whole other kind of awesome. I have a very diverse practice and get to do a lot of fracture work but also hand and micro surgery which requires a very delicate skill set. I could go on for hours about how fun my job is, but I do really miss the engineering quite a bit. Sadly, there is not enough time and space in my brain for both. The good news is there is a little space left for drums and guitar and wife and family and all the other fun stuff in life. Can't complain. If I had the guts I would have struck out in the field of music, but I was always afraid of not making it.

Auto dealership floor manager for a multi franchised auto dealer but only for a few more years

Comment

Fourth gen carpenter until I started having kids, now an investigator for a chain of retail stores muwahaha!!!
        A to E tama artstar conversion kit, soon to be megadrum, BFD and Superior drummer. Currently dancing with the idea of DIY cymbals, hhhhmmmmmmm.....

"Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah" - Alex Lifeson

Comment

Originally posted by ThePod View Post
          Former electrical engineer turned orthopedic surgeon with a subspecialty in hand/micro,elbow and shoulder surgery. It's never boring but leaves a little less time for DIY than engineering.
          Woooooo, EE to orthopedic, unbelievable! ! You guys are like auto mechanics. I'm a cyclist, raced alot. Had a real bad crash doing a criterium. Rider nudged my rear wheel while banking into a turn. Ended up broadsiding the upright of chain link fence AT LIKE 35MPH!. Whole left side (I'm a lefty to boot) banged up: 2 broken fingers, shoulder fractured in 2 places and broken elbow now attached with a titanium plate. 3 days in hospital and 3 months out of work. Thank god i was blessed, could have been much worse if a wasnt physically in shape. And thank god i had great insurance too. So your are an amazing breed!!
          Sonor S-classix birch
          Paiste and Sabian Cymbals;
          Mapex ProM ->EAD10; Mesh heads; Yamaha Top Triggers, Gen16 and L80 cymbals;

Comment

Originally posted by ronyd View Post
            Woooooo, EE to orthopedic, unbelievable! ! You guys are like auto mechanics. I'm a cyclist, raced alot. Had a real bad crash doing a criterium. Rider nudged my rear wheel while banking into a turn. Ended up broadsiding the upright of chain link fence AT LIKE 35MPH!. Whole left side (I'm a lefty to boot) banged up: 2 broken fingers, shoulder fractured in 2 places and broken elbow now attached with a titanium plate. 3 days in hospital and 3 months out of work. Thank god i was blessed, could have been much worse if a wasnt physically in shape. And thank god i had great insurance too. So your are an amazing breed!!
            Glad to hear you got better. It's always great to hear success stories after a bad injury.

Comment

[QUOTE=ThePod;n984374] Glad to hear you got better. It's always great to hear success stories after a bad injury.[/QUOTe I've actually benefited from drumming. The dexterity of My fingers that a broke has really loosened up working on finger control at higher speeds. Hopefully will prolong any arthritis setting in.
              Sonor S-classix birch

Comment

What a great thread... always wondered what all you interesting people did

I'm just a humble architect, although I've been playing drums for money for over 40 years too.
                Last edited by willsud; 03-28-14, 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling... spelling ;)
                TD-50 - X upgraded, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

Originally posted by willsud View Post
                  What a great thread... always wondered what all you interesting people did

I'm just a humble architect, although I've been playing drums for money for over 40 years too.
                  yes wilsud, I thought it would be silly to do this. But then again, since we all collecting ideas together, I wondered that we all couldn;t be all pro drummers. They don't have that kind of time to be building e-drums. They're working at playing to make real money.

Just amazing the backgrounds we have on this thread.
                  Sonor S-classix birch

Comment

Photographer!

Comment

Maintainence Fitter, Firefighter (30years retired), Welding & Fabrication part time, very late starter into drumming (46) now 55 and still loving it.

Comment

Comment

• ronyd
                          ronyd commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ooops. Didn;t want to offend anyone on the forum.

This is a forum for DIY'ers, so more intriguing to me to know my audience. Otherwise I would have posted to the lounge forum. If it's technical, I know my audience could be all walks of life that play drums as a Pro, Amateur or hobbyist.

Macarina, wow what a switch in careers. I was a software engineer for 20 years in naval defense. nice....

sorry again....
                          Last edited by ronyd; 04-01-14, 08:01 AM.

I fitted an acoustic drumkit with mesh-heads and Intriggs, does that make me a DIY:er?
                        I'm unemployed and get some money each month from the state because of illness, haven't done ANYTHING since I graduated 4 years ago. Although the lovely government wants me to get a job despite all my physical flaws and limitations so in a month or so I might be working at some slave-driving hellhole or whatever bozo company that would hire me. We'll see.

Comment

• BWaj
                          BWaj commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Perfect, I'm looking for someone I can take advantage of! I kid, just trying to bring a smile to your face, sounds like you you got a raw deal, hopefully you get healthy soon or find a great job you can do while you get well.

Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by TheYardbird View Post
                        I fitted an acoustic drumkit with mesh-heads and Intriggs, does that make me a DIY:er?
                        I'm unemployed and get some money each month from the state because of illness, haven't done ANYTHING since I graduated 4 years ago. Although the lovely government wants me to get a job despite all my physical flaws and limitations so in a month or so I might be working at some slave-driving hellhole or whatever bozo company that would hire me. We'll see.
                        Of course you are Yardbird!!

Sorry for your troubles buddy. You hang in there. Keep drumming, good therapy. After almost 40 years in engineering (hardware and software) companies decided I am of no use. Nobody wants to hire a 60+ year old guy. Call it what you want, but it's age profiling. I spend my life working for companies, without any issues, 110%, and this is how it ends up.

Oh well, now I'm contracting, and call it a day, and work part-time at an REI outdoor company as a bicycle mechanic. Drumming have been a god send for me. Been a cyclist for many years, don;t race anymore. I'm blessed to have 2 great passionate hobbies.

I feel your pain!!!
                        Sonor S-classix birch

Comment

Just to make most of you feel old... I'm hoping to start university in October, studying for a degree in Electronic Engineering! I have a small job at the moment building the circuits for a small effects pedal company (Rainger FX), but my main focus at the moment is studying hard enough to get the grades for the university I want to go to! (the University of York, here in England if anyone was wondering)

Comment

• KennyinDundee
                            KennyinDundee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It takes a mixture of young, not so young, experienced and inexperienced, hobbiers, professional drummers and music lovers to make these forums the best on the net!

• BWaj
                            BWaj commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes it does Kenny, but he's still a little whippersnapper and needs to turn his music down!

• SilentSeraphTwo
                            SilentSeraphTwo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I agree there Kenny! And BWaj, it's only at 9999999 Db!
                        Working...
                        X