Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY A2E Cymbal 3 Zone - Switch/Choke False Trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY A2E Cymbal 3 Zone - Switch/Choke False Trigger

I'm getting switch triggering on a cymbal, when I should not be getting anything.

Here's the details: I'm using MegaDrum (for my TMI) and I have built an A2E (Acoustic to Electric) Cymbal. I have one Piezo attached to the bow. I'm using 3.5mm cable. And have a 'Female Jack, 3.5mm, 4 Conductor' jack on the cymbal that it all goes into.
    For the TMI (MegaDrum) I have the bow = Piezo, and the Edge = Switch.
    The problem is that I will get a Edge hit when I give the cymbal a good whack, even when the switch is not hooked up; so I'll disconnect the switch and there is just a wire hanging from the jack on the cymbal. If I physically disconnect the wire from the TMI input, then the hard whack doesn't trigger an edge trigger. This tells me that the problem is located on the cymbal itself. Note: I can adjust the settings in MegaDrum such that even normal to light hits will generate the Edge Switch (done by raising the Threshold).
    I don't know why giving this thing a hit is generating a signal for the TMI to detect? The only thing I can think of is that the 4 Pole male connector (from the cable) plugged into the 4 Pole jack is jostling around enough that the pole for the switch is somehow getting a bleed through signal from the Piezo pole. I don't know, I'm stumped.

Any feedback is greatly welcome..
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Stealth Acoustic to Electric (A2E) Conversion. Megadrum Controller, Drop-in CakePan, Wuhan A2E Dual Zone Cymbals, Hall Effect Sensor Hi-Hat, Superior Drummer 2.
    (Tried, but stopped using:DIY Mesh Heads. Reflection Plate Drum Trigger, Crossbar Cone Drum Trigger)

Might be worth mentioning on the MD forum. I have the same behaviour. I have a piezo/switch cymbal, only I just use 1 side of the switch (a metal plate going to ring, no ground). With threshold set at a specific number (around 34, I think), I can get it to choke just by touching it with my hand. But like your cymbal, the edge gets randomly triggered, when supposedly it shouldn't, ever. I get around this by setting the edge note to the same as the bow note (cymbals are single zone in addictive Drums) so it isn't noticeable while playing, but I thought maybe it was just something that happened to me, because of the "touch choke" trick.
    Megadrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY 2 & 3-zone cymbals, DIY hall-effect 3-zone hi-hat, El Cheapo buttkicker, DIY trigger beaters on DIY longboard/direct drive modded pedals. DIY IEMs. Some kit pics/history.

Comment

Ignotus; yes, this is exactly what I'm experiencing! And, exactly what I'm doing: touch choke. And, the touch choke is fantastic, but setting this to the same note, is a work around, and also cripples some functionality for an edge hit. It's good to know that this is just not isolated to my DIY build. I'll start another post simultaneously at MegaDrum, and put any findings on both blogs.
      Thanks..
      Stealth Acoustic to Electric (A2E) Conversion. Megadrum Controller, Drop-in CakePan, Wuhan A2E Dual Zone Cymbals, Hall Effect Sensor Hi-Hat, Superior Drummer 2.
      (Tried, but stopped using:DIY Mesh Heads. Reflection Plate Drum Trigger, Crossbar Cone Drum Trigger)

Comment

The reason I'm not really bothered about it is this: if you want 2 zones, you need a second piezo or a switch on top; a switch with 2 contacts - this problem doesn't arise. If you just have a single zone + choke and you set the edge note the same as the bow, you can't tell the difference and it still chokes fine. I'd be bothered if the touch switch was causing unwanted chokes, but the way it is, it works great and I love the simplicity of it.
        Megadrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY 2 & 3-zone cymbals, DIY hall-effect 3-zone hi-hat, El Cheapo buttkicker, DIY trigger beaters on DIY longboard/direct drive modded pedals. DIY IEMs. Some kit pics/history.

Comment

Working...
        X