Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trigger mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger mounting?

Well, now that I've gone through a couple of iterations of constructing a trigger, while doing alot of reading on this thread and others, looking back I now have a silly question:

Roland, Ddrum, etc use external triggers mounted off the rim, and Triggera mounts internal, both mounting positions like an 1" onto the head. Functionally they work well, so why utilize a crossbar mount? Why not just mount on trigger to the shell with an angle bracket?

And also, foam is either cone, cylindrical.

So, what do we gain by using a crossbar design?

sorry for my confusion...
    Last edited by ronyd; 03-19-14, 11:40 AM.
    Sonor S-classix birch
    Paiste and Sabian Cymbals;
    Mapex ProM ->EAD10; Mesh heads; Yamaha Top Triggers, Gen16 and L80 cymbals;

I read in another post that you are using the Roland TD-3 module which doesn't support positional sensing, so there's no reason why you can't use an edge mounted design. If your Roland module supported, or if you intend to upgrade to a module that supports positional sensing, a center mounted trigger would be necessary for it to work. The reason the crossbar design, and later the cake pan design, became popular is because they mimic the designs Roland was using for their pads at that time. If you look at a PD-120 for instance, it's a crossbar design, and the PD125X is a basket (cake pan) design.
    Last edited by bwilburn79; 03-19-14, 12:05 PM. Reason: More info
    Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

aaah positional sensing. Now that makes sense. thankx for clearing that up for me.
      Sonor S-classix birch

Comment

• bwilburn79
        bwilburn79 commented
        Editing a comment
        With any trigger mounting method, the trigger (cone, tower, pillar, etc.) needs to contact the head directly in the center for PS to work as intended.

• Viperr
        Viperr commented
        Editing a comment
        Even without PS, putting the trigger in the center will give the effect that strikes near the rim will sound softer then strikes near the center, just like on an acoustic drum. If the trigger is dialed in your module correctly.

A side mounted trigger will avoid a hot spot on your drum which results in inconsistent triggering.

Comment

bwilburn79 yes the td3 does not support positional sensing. Another good point about being dead center for it to work. I was thinking offset so you are not striking the head and making direct contact with the cone so it doesn;t get damages. May not be the case.

So the bottom line is for now, I should just go back to side mount if moving the trigger further into the center will produce the same result?
        Sonor S-classix birch

Comment

Working...
        X