Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triggering with Screen Mesh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggering with Screen Mesh?

I made a 13" mesh head (single layer) from Pet Screen http://www.homedepot.com/p/New-York-...94-M/202091906.

Constructed a piezo trigger (radio shack $2.30), cone (made with sanding blocks - $4.00), and mounted to a crossbar (Simpson trust spacers - 2 bolted together $.92). The trigger is positioned off center about 3 inches. The Piezo is mounted with double sided tape on a wood base and screw pedestal.

Question:
    - Using a Roland TD-3 module, Sensitivity/Volume is not great. Mesh tension is good. I then replaced the mesh head with a Pearl. Mesh is much thinner. Sensitivity/Volume is great.
    So, should I be using a different mesh, like plain fiberglass mesh double layer?

I picked Pet mesh for durability. Just confused why I can't get the volume out of it.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
    Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
    DIY vdrums

That's a good looking trigger roynd. Don't give up on your DIY head just yet. I use the "Sun Guard 90" material, also by New York Wire, and I love it. Your post suggests that you had bad results using your head so you replaced it with the Pearl head (changing nothing else) and got good results? Try replacing your head without changing anything else and verify that you see the same issue as before. While you have the head removed, make sure the cone sticks up 1/16" - 1/8" above the bearing edge. Tighten the head a little more that you think is necessary. Generally my heads are tight enough that I can't tell where the cone is just by running my hand across the drum head. If you still get poor results, bring up the trigger sensitivity in your module and see if that helps. If your cone height is on the low side you might try 1/8" above the bearing edge and see if that helps since the sanding block cone may not be quite as dense as the Roland counterpart.
    Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

I pretty sure the cone is high enough. If you run your finger across the mesh you can feel where the cone is. The head is pretty tight. And the trigger sensitivity is at it's max 15.

I'm wondering if the cone is too high? I'll try adjusting again tonite.

Is the Sun Guard 90 as thick as the Pet mesh?
      DIY vdrums

Comment

Originally posted by ronyd View Post
        The Piezo is mounted with double sided tape on a wood base and screw pedestal.
        How thick is the double sided tape? Is it the foam type? Also, what is the diameter of the tape with respect to the diameter of the piezo ceramic part?

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
          How thick is the double sided tape? Is it the foam type? Also, what is the diameter of the tape with respect to the diameter of the piezo ceramic part?
          Double sided tape is very thin (carpet tape), and NOT foam type. The diameter of the tape covers the flat washer, which is the diameter of the cone. The base of the piezo is completely stuck to the tape. The pic shows the base before I put the tape on and piezo.. hope this helps.

Questions:
          1. Could the wood base be problematic?

2. Do I even need to use double sided tape, since the piezo and cone is vertical, and pressure from the batter head is holding everything in place?

3. I'm assumming sandpaper block foam will work? Anyone who used this did not indicate any problems with triggering. May even try air conditioning strip foam. I think beatnik used this type, and inexpensive.

4. Does it really matter the shape of the foam, whether it be cone, square, cylindrical, etc? I'm using Roland module and I know they use cones for their triggers for, minimum contact to the head, but does it really matter?

5. Is what I describe correct or is there something I'm missing or should be aware of?

But again, using the Pearl mesh head worked fine....

I checked out the Solor guard 90 out home depot. mesh is much tighter than the pet mesh
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by ronyd; 03-19-14, 11:47 AM.
          DIY vdrums

Comment

hmmm amazing if you keep reading on the forum what things you might miss. Reading from http://mikemx3000.tripod.com/id4.html, comments about Sensitivity Troubleshooting. I need to try just reducing the diameter of the tape and cone to the diamater of the ceramic. SiliconDrummer may have been eluding to this with his response.
            DIY vdrums

Comment

You need to use double sided foam tape under the piezo to allow it to flex. Also, most people follow the Roland patent and make the diameter of the foam tape equal to the diameter of the ceramic portion of the piezo. See the following post for more info and a picture from Roland's patent: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...929#post188929

-SD-

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
                You need to use double sided foam tape under the piezo to allow it to flex. Also, most people follow the Roland patent and make the diameter of the foam tape equal to the diameter of the ceramic portion of the piezo. See the following post for more info and a picture from Roland's patent: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...929#post188929

-SD-
                Hey SiliconDrummer, right on the money. Just saw your reply. I purchased the Solor 90 mesh yesterday. I did not use foam tape for the piezo, instead just this velcro adhesive dot. But like you said only under the diameter of piezo. I would have used foam tape if I read this last nite LOL.

The trigger now work perfect and great sensitivity!!! Not sure if just the position of the tape under piezo or the pet mesh did the trick. but, holy crap, it itriggers better the the Ddrum Pro triggers.

Anyways thankx everyone for the inputs. Going to do crossbar design and save the Ddrum pro triggers for a rainy day.
                DIY vdrums

Comment

Working...
                X