Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct choice for DIY 2 zone into TD-6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct choice for DIY 2 zone into TD-6?

I have a converted Remo practice pad setup from ebay which I found I had to rebuild 2 out of the 4 pads (not including fixing a wire in the kick).

I just converted the snare to a cone type as an experiment (couldn't work any worse. This pad has a second piezo inside the rim area (pre-existing) which may or may not work, cross talk depending). I'm wondering what kind of drum or pad to map such a beast with 2 piezo's to? I know it's different for example in the case where if you had a PD-7, that would be a piezo and a film switch…?

What's the best pad to choose in a Roland TD-6V to use a double piezo 2 zone anything? (center one is neg-polarity a-la Roland style). Am finalizing the wiring and then have to tension it right and see what happens. (mesh head converted, 2 layers fiberglass).

Thanks for any guidance. I can split the stereo input into two mono if needed I guess if this is not going to work, and treat the rim smack as a separate pad (rim hit, etc).
    - - -
    Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Three choices for dual piezo on a TD-6V: PD-80R, PD-120 or PD-125 (and perhaps RT-5S).

Start with PD-80R, unless one of the 12-inch types happens to work out better (unlikely).

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
      Three choices for dual piezo on a TD-6V: PD-80R, PD-120 or PD-125 (and perhaps RT-5S).

Start with PD-80R, unless one of the 12-inch types happens to work out better (unlikely).

Bruce
      ​Thanks Bruce. Set to PD-80R…works nice. Getting both regular play and rim shot. FAR more sensitive this way than the original with the foam pad and strike plate.
      - - -
      Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Thought I'd try posting a few pics of the beast. Needs some finessing, but overall seems to work nicely for a first effort. There is a hot spot in the middle as you'd expect, but the tension is not final yet, and it's possible I have the height a little too hot. There's not much room here for the cone approach with these practice pads, without further alteration.

The rim piezo was pre-existing from when I got the pad and is a small one cut down around the edges, but works alright if you hit near it.

rc

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        - - -

Comment

Working...
        X