No announcement yet.

Sanding block cones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's what I did. I cut into 2 blocks. Peeled the backing with my fingers once I started it with an exact knife. Peals right off. I then glued together with 3m. Made a spindle using a large washer and bolt. Used double backed tape on the washer and attached the cone block. i used a scissor to shape the cone. Basically took the edges off placing the scissors at an angle. Used my drill press to do complete the job. So placed the bolt into the drill press. Used 40 grit sand paper against the cone as drill wad spinning. Took about 5 minutes. Hope this helps
    Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
    Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
    DIY vdrums

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
      Cut them in half? Im not sure why you did that? Ive cut my cylinders and Ive now removed the top and bottom sandpaper layers. There is a hole right through the centre because of the drill bit but I dont think that will affect triggering. Im going to try them out tomoro.
      That's pretty much what I did, removed the sanding layers. Whether that makes a difference or not, I don't know, but for me, they did disintegrate after a short time, so bear that in mind.

Comment

• ronyd
        ronyd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thankx for heads up. For the amount of time I spend on the exit versus acoustic it will be awhile. Still much cheaper for now.

Ok so i used double sided tape and taped one of my foam cylinders to a piezo with wiring and jack. I plugged it into my kick cable and it seems to work pretty well so far. Only time will tell when I actually install it into a drum. Like silentseraphtwo said, they might only be a short term solution and I may have to revert to cones in the future. Who knows?

Comment

So far so good with these sanding block trigger cylinders. Very good triggering so far, consistent and reliable. Will let you all know how these hold up over time.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
          So far so good with these sanding block trigger cylinders. Very good triggering so far, consistent and reliable. Will let you all know how these hold up over time.
          Apologies about reviving an old thread. I'm curious as to how they held up years later. It would be interesting to know what the longevity of the material is.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X