Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

drum platform build without kick drum present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drum platform build without kick drum present

Building a drum platform this weekend and unfortunately my 20 by 14 inch kick drum is not here. It is being shipped to me! So trying to figure how much room I will need in front of my front rack bar to accomodate the kick when it comes. I would wait for the kick, but I am using someone else's tools and man power and both are only available this weekend

Well the best thing, as some people like to have their bassdrums further away or closer to themselves than others, would be to set up your basspedal at a comfortable position along with your throne and rack and all that, meassure it up and then add on a couple of inches just to be safe.

Comment

Yeah I just posted that on 2 box that that was the only thing I could think of doing other than borrowing somebody else's kick drum and just setting it up for a measurement. I know a guy at banjo center. Maybe he will let me borrow one to use just for that purpose. We'll see. Thanks!

Comment

Just sit where you are comfortable and let it hang off the platform a bit. If it seems unstsble....tie it to the rack with a tom arm and clamp.....or build a little bracket for it to secure it to the platform. Easy fixes.
        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

• hemiboy
          hemiboy commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure that I follow you about hanging the kick a little bit off the platform and then bracketing or clamping it. I am going to put it right on the platform which will make it stick out about half the thickness of the kick from the front curved rack bar. build the platform out and leave a couple of inches for any movement adjustments in the future for a possible floor tom for a. 2 . I guess when I said I was space limited you figured the platform couldn't be any bigger so the drum would have to hang off a little, not really sure?
          Last edited by hemiboy; 03-01-14, 12:52 AM.

Yeah...i figured you had a set size in mind and wasnt sure if it would sccomodate your kick. Mine hang off the platform and i use the tom mount that usually comes mounted on top of most kicks and extend a tom arm from it to the rack to secure it with a rack clamp. Makes it nice and stable. In fact my kicks dont even have legs.
        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

• hemiboy
          hemiboy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah Daniel, now that I see it , it is really sharp. I have enough room to put the kick on the platform but rack mounting with no spurslooks better

• hemiboy
          hemiboy commented
          Editing a comment
          Dan is that white Ludwig kit with the dual kicks yours or hairmetals?

• fulrmr(Daniel)
          fulrmr(Daniel) commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope.... not mine.

Also make sure you accomodate your kick drum spurs depending on where they are positioned on your kick. They might stick out further than the front of the drum or might not.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulrmr
          Mine hang off the platform and i use the tom mount (...) In fact my kicks dont even have legs.

...Otherwise known to mere by-standers as the Voelker Rack Syndrome ...!

Mmmmmmhhhh....!!!!

[Somebody please clean the drool in aisles three, four, five and six...]

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 03-01-14, 06:23 AM. Reason: Trying to format this bugger...

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• BWaj
            BWaj commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah man! I used to love those risers!

• fulrmr(Daniel)
            fulrmr(Daniel) commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually...Mine is a DrumFrame modified for use with Gibraltar rack gear instead of it's proprietary "triangle"...yes I said triangle .....rack bars and clamps.

• hemiboy
            hemiboy commented
            Editing a comment
            Hairmetal, is that your white Ludwig double bass kit pictured there?

wow those are so cool , I love the white ludwigs and being mounted off the rack and off the ground is definitely a nice, clean , sharp look

Comment

I just built one a few weeks ago and to make it easier on my bad back, I did it in smaller sections. Not knowing your design, this might not work but you could make 2'x what ever width you need. This way if you build it too small, you'd only need to add one section at a later time.

I just clamp each side together and it's rock solid. I use a bigger riser for bigger stages and small for the small places.
            TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Not using my platform to gig . It will remain in my second floor practice space. Just want to give my neighbors a break. But those drum racks are really nice! Oh we'll, maybe down the road....) who owns the Ludwigs hair metal or fulmr
              Last edited by hemiboy; 03-01-14, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• BWaj
                BWaj commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, are you doing the tennis ball one then? If not, what are you using as feet to dampen the sound?

No I used 2 pieces of 3/4 mdf acoustic glued together over the auralex platfoam kit
              Last edited by hemiboy; 03-01-14, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Pics....or it never happened.

Comment

Yeah when I get my kit completely set up on it again and my wires organized, I will post some pics. Going away for a few days, so next weekend, I would guess

Comment

Cool...can't wait to see what yo came up with.

Comment

• BWaj
                      BWaj commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed, looking forward to seeing it!

• hairmetal-81
                      hairmetal-81 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Make that three of us!
                  Working...
                  X