Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A2e kick foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2e kick foam

Hi folks, I'm in the middle of building my second ekit which is an a2e conversion using a Mapex V series. I've built my own single zone triggers for my toms that trigger brilliantly and now I'm in the middle of converting my kick drum. I've ordered my Zed triple X 22" mesh head and built my trigger which is attached below where the kick beater strikes the pad and mounted on a crossbar. I will be adding foam under the mesh head in order to improve feel and reduce rebound. My question is... ...how far does the foam need to stick out above the bearing edge in order to achieve both excellent triggering and feel most like a real a-kick? Many thanks for any advice folks! Kenny

Having never done this I don't know, but it sounds like a YMMV type situation that is gunna need some trial and error to get right :/
    --
    West London, UK.
    TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

YMMV cheddies?

Comment

If you are asking for the acronym, it's: Your Mileage May Vary.

What Cheddies meant to say is that there isn't a 'general rule' for your foam, here. Stiffer foam will give a firmer rebound/have a major affect on the overall 'playing feel' - and since 'playing feel' is a very subjective matter (kinda hard to give advice on such a thing...) you should simply try a few different types of foams and see which *you* like best!

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks hairmetal for clearing that up :-D I have some seating foam that I might try. Ok, heres another question...does the trigger cone still have to be a couple of mm approx above the bearing edge no matter how much the foam is above the bearing edge? Or...is it a case of YMMV?

Comment

• bwilburn79
            bwilburn79 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd suggest mounting your cone at the standard height (1/16 " - 1/8") above the bearing edge. Your choice of dampening foam, depending upon how compressible it is, might protrude further beyond the bearing edge than the cone until it is compressed into place by tensioning the drum head. When all is said and done, make sure your cone remains in full contact with drum head at all times.

An 1/8" to 1/4" above the bearing edge should be fine for the foam. If it is a memory type foam that is softer, this will work perfectly. If it is a hard foam, you might only want it about 1/16" above the bearing edge. The cone should be the standard height above the bearing edge. Give it 2-3" inches from the bottom of the foam and you should be good to go.
          I think my work is done here.

Comment

• KennyinDundee
            KennyinDundee commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you mean position the cone about 2-3 inches from the bottom of the foam?

Many thanks bwilburn and tommy for ur replies lads. Im thinking about cutting my foam into a circle shape so it looks better when looking at the batter bass drum head. Ok, next question...what size \ diameter should my foam circle be? Thanks Kenny

Comment

• bwilburn79
            bwilburn79 commented
            Editing a comment
            Large enough to accommodate multiple beaters. 6"-8" should be generous enough. I'd mount the foam on a wooden or metal disc of the same size and mount the assembly to the cross member. That should give you support all the way out to the edges.

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
          Many thanks bwilburn and tommy for ur replies lads. Im thinking about cutting my foam into a circle shape so it looks better when looking at the batter bass drum head. Ok, next question...what size \ diameter should my foam circle be? Thanks Kenny
          The foam pad Roland uses is 5 1/4" in diameter. Mount the center of the cone 2" from the bottom of the foam and you are ready to rock and roll. At least with a TD-30 it works perfectly, but it should work well for any module.

Comment

Thanks lads.

Comment

How is the foam kept in place ?
              TD-30 module, PDP A2E (22, 16, 14, 12, 10), Quartz triggers,
              VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
              Axis A21 Sabres, Axis A Longboards

Comment

Double sided tape to something that spans the width of the inside of the drum.

Comment

The postman tried to deliver my 22" mesh head but no one was in. I have to go to the parcels office to collect it tomorrow. Im hoping to do some work on it thos weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X