Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tennis ball riser modification question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis ball riser modification question

So, a carpenter friend built me a new tennis ball drum riser and had the idea of drilling a smaller hole inside the normal ones (hard to explain, so I attached a photo) and the riser is super stable, much stabler than my previous one that bounced like crazy (did not have this hole modification) so my question is...Are the vibrations being cut down like they should? Is it working? Or should I just use my old drum riser?
    Attached Files

The second hole will add to the stability of the upper section but because the tennis ball is now being "clamped" more firmly where it is in contact with the wood it offers less compliance than before. The compliance is the amount of "springiness" or "squishiness" which is the mechanical action that provides the barrier to vibration trying to get from the upper section to the lower section. The optimal amount of compliance, which is rated as the "durometer", will be determined by total load weight of the upper section. The most important aspect, however, is whether your neighbors hear more noise breakthrough than before and/or if the amount they hear is bothersome.
    Last edited by barryabko; 02-20-14, 07:42 PM.
    Roland TD-30, VH-13, 2 pcs CY-12c, Alesis DM Pro 14" three zone ride, Pintech Concertcast dual zone: 12" snare, 2 pcs 10" toms, 12" tom, 12" kick, Gibraltar rack, DW 9000 or Axis A pedal, Gibraltar HH stand, DW snare stand, DIY "Butkicker" style tactile transducer system using Aura shakers.

Comment

Working...
    X