Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aquarian On-head Modification - Feasible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquarian On-head Modification - Feasible?

I am thinking about attempting a shell modification for the Aquarian on-heads. The on-head sits above the rim about an inch which I don't mind but it looks a little quirky. I was thinking of possibly adding a couple of L-brackets inside the shell to bring the head lower. I would have to cut the mylar head away to only leave the metal ridge so the rim can mount. I would also have to drill another hole for the wire of the pad. Do you guys remove the wrap and then countersink the screws and fill with bondo then rewrap or just leave the screws on the exterior? What say you? Should I go for it?
    Last edited by csnow; 02-17-14, 10:00 AM.

I took the rim off and its not feasible. The base of the pad it too wide to fit inside the bearing edge. The wire that comes off the pad is at the base so you cant trim off any of the material without potentially damaging the pad. Oh well.....

Comment

How are these pads working for you? Are they good? How is the feel? And stick noise?

Comment

Hmmm...interesting query. May have to get one and experiment....the height thing is something that was instantly unappealing to me.
        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

If the onHead FSR is anything like any other FSR available, the wire coming out of one side would not be running around the base of the pad. So you may be able to trim the base, but leaving the wire tab.

Cutting a Mylar head and leaving the rim might not work, as there wouldn't be any tension to keep the rim in place. Perhaps a cake pan that is just the right depth to keep the onHead at the right height? I admit it might be hard to find...
          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I think they make 1" cake pans. This make work.....but you will still have to have a hoop for the rim to grab to keep the look and play rim shots.
            8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

I've not seen an Onhead in person but I got my first look at the Inhead this past weekend. It seemed to me you could cut away the hoop, retaining a flat mylar disc with the FSR intact. Then you could sandwich the disc between layers of foam in something like a Fat Daddio's 1.5" pie pan and make a nice drop in. Then you could use a standard mesh head and have a nice quiet trigger pad.
              Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

It confuses me that there's 1" and 1.5" cake pans... Are we talking about diameters?

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• bwilburn79
                  bwilburn79 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No HM, we're referring to the depth. Fat Daddio's makes both "Cake" and "Pie" pans. There is a difference in design. Cake pans feature straight sides and Pie pans have angled sides. The Cake pans come in a broader range of diameters and depths. The Pie pans are only available in 1.5" depth and the diameters 9", 10" 11", and 12" I believe. I typically build 10" and 12" diameter pads and I really enjoy using the Pie pans for my drop ins because you buy the same diameter Pie pan as your shell (ie 10" pie pan for 10" drum shell) and the pan doesn't interfere with any hardware on the inside of the shell due to the angled sides.

*** To avoid further confusion, you buy "Cake" pans in a diameter that is 1" less than the shell it's going into (ie. 9" cake pan for a 10" shell) ***

• fulrmr(Daniel)
                  fulrmr(Daniel) commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep....bwilburn79 is correct. I use the Fat Daddio's cake pans in the 2" depth for my builds as it supports my Quartz trigger builds very well and was the foundation of the pan builds from the beginning. 3 or 4" would be nice for reflection plates as you could stack many nice layers of foam in them at that depth....and 1" may be just enough to hold something like the OnHead if the diameter issue could be solved. Also the cheese cake pans would be a nice base for a side mount build because the whole bottom can be removed leaving only a ring. IMO this would be nice for consistent rim triggering around the rim like the cake pans but would most likely eliminate the acoustic overtones(ring) from the pan bottom that can come with most pan builds. I have yet to try the cheese cake pans...but they are on the list.

• hairmetal-81
                  hairmetal-81 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks very much for the clarification, guys!
                  You've got my creative juices flowing, that's for sure...!

I am going to contact Aquarian and ask them how much I can cut away safely. If I can get these trimmed and mounted, it could really open up possibilities for the community.

Comment

Does a 12" Onhead fit inside a 13" or 14" tom?
                  As long as it fits inside ( i.e. one is using 'undersized' Onheads, in effect) then you could still pursue the L-bracket idea.

HTH
                  Last edited by hairmetal-81; 02-20-14, 12:18 AM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

You going to explain to my wife why I need yet another drum set? I hope you have a spare room at your pad for me to stay.

Comment

• bwilburn79
                      bwilburn79 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      To HM's point, you should steal an OnHead from one of your smaller toms to try in a larger one as a proof of concept experiment. Aquarian needs to pair the "New Bounce" playing surface with the InHead design to offer a quiet, aesthetically pleasing, drum head option.

What about useing an inhead with a remo full foam muffl installed under neath?
                    Attached Files
                    Practice Kit-TD30 module.6 pc STARCLASSIC B/B DIY conversion.pearl tru trac bass drum trigger,cy15,2 x cy14,cy 12c,2 x cy8.vh12 hats.cake pan conversion.
                    Gigging kit same td 30 module .5 pc STARCLASSIC PERFORMER cake pan conversion DIY.Pearl tru trac bass trigger.Zildjian gen 16 480 cymbal pack.direct source pickups.cy15,cy14 x 2,cy12

Comment

Originally posted by Drum View Post
                      What about useing an inhead with a remo full foam muffl installed under neath?
                      I've used these with regular acoustic heads....it sounds like you're slapping a cardboard box with fly swatter.

Comment

More ideas, What about Wooden hoops to the right thickness,or removing the hoop from a head or a couple heads and stacking them on to the installed head to shim the rim up?
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Practice Kit-TD30 module.6 pc STARCLASSIC B/B DIY conversion.pearl tru trac bass drum trigger,cy15,2 x cy14,cy 12c,2 x cy8.vh12 hats.cake pan conversion.
                        Gigging kit same td 30 module .5 pc STARCLASSIC PERFORMER cake pan conversion DIY.Pearl tru trac bass trigger.Zildjian gen 16 480 cymbal pack.direct source pickups.cy15,cy14 x 2,cy12

Comment

Working...
                        X