Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Botch Job Cymbal Trigger: Mount included.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Botch Job Cymbal Trigger: Mount included.

[Better images to follow - camera battery dead]

Great for Crashing Splashing and Chinas. Not so good for intricate ride work.

I had been thinking of / working on, a low noise real feel cymbal solution for a while. As i have no time ( work too much ) no money ( wife won't let me buy new gear ) .
    Last night i did what we call a botch job and it turned out fairly awesome.

The botch job cymbal trigger consists of:

1. A basic piezo trigger.(mounted however you feel,check other forums)
    2. A wire coat hanger.
    3. Electrical tape.

Basically i had previously made a kick trigger using a piezo glued to a piece of 3x2 inch metal. This was then taped to a jam jar lid to house the wiring which was a simple 1/4 inch input jack.
    Brutal and effective.

So i just grabbed a coat hanger, stretched it out, formed one end around the circumference of the lid and taped it on as such with electrical tape.
    Using the hook end of the coat hanger i slotted this on to the roland drum rack near the floor tom and fixed it in place with some more electrical tape.
    Looks like a badly drawn lolly pop with 2 sticks.

Plugged it in and smashed away. Worked great, then made some minor adjustments to bring sensitivity down [ pd8 pad setting: Sensitivity 2-3 ]

I'll sort out my camera over xmas and make a quick vid of the acoustic volume and the triggered sound.

Enjoy.

Notes.

The recoil from the strike is similar to that of a crash. This due to the rigidity and give of the coat hanger and the trigger being mounted at the end. It sways.
    Velocity is high [120-127] on the trigger itself and decreases along the wire [accordding to pad selection and settings within your module]
    The shape the wire is bent increases/decreases the vibration of a strike [ introducing double triggering could be used as a tool in this case ]
    You can mount it anywhere anyway you like.

The theatrics of the shape and movement are pleasing as well.
    I recently bought 2 mandalas (hence why my funds have been frozen by the wife)
    and this coat hanger has better sensitivity an velocity range than the mandalas. if only i could attach a positional sensor…… :-P

iMac 3.7ghz 12gb ram.
    Roland TD9 KX2
    Superior Drummer 2.X.

Looks like a good " in a pinch" solution. Would like to see more pics when you have then. Have you thought of bending the hanger into a circle around the lid so it is shaped like a cymbal rim? Like a hollow ghost cymbal.
    --
    West London, UK.
    TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

Doesn't the coat-hanger start to bend out of shape, if you whack it with sticks?
      (Just asking....)
      Greetings from Switzerland,
      - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Having re read the OP Again, it's possible he is hitting the jar lid and using the hanger to Mount it?
        --
        West London, UK.
        TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

Still having some doubt about the durability with so much electrical tape...

Greetings from Switzerland,
          - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Hairmetal - So far it has lasted the distance. Obviously i'm not hitting it as much as my ride.
            The hanger acts as suspension mount. The jar lid is the casing. The piezo hasis glued to scrap macbook battery cover.
            Cheddies- I haven't had a chance to investigate things further. But yes that was sort of the original idea.

Its a quick fix which has ended up being useful.
            iMac 3.7ghz 12gb ram.
            Roland TD9 KX2
            Superior Drummer 2.X.

Comment

Working...
            X