Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

Wiring dual zone snare?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cure1973
    Registered Member
    • 01-2012

Wiring dual zone snare?

Hi all
    Firstly excuse my pathetic soldering attempt! This jack will probably get binned!
    Basically I'm getting totally confused as to which wires go where for a head and rim peizo for Roland TD12.
    Following Beatniks design you would have a 4 input block connector, but after doing some research I came across one that is totally different to this?
    This guy did a great build and posted not long ago so hopefully he wont mind re posting his pics!
    I dont know which is the sleeve rim and tip on his jack - can someone help me out?
    Btw I dont have module yet - one is on its way from usa!
    Cheers
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
    Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.
  • cure1973
    Registered Member
    • 01-2012

Anyone?............................
    Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
    Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.

Comment

• fulrmr(Daniel)
      Ephesians 6:13-17
      • 03-2009

Maybe this will help.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

• cure1973
        cure1973 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Dan
    • JmanWord
      Memorialized Member
      • 01-2004

Does anybody know how to use the search function anymore. This has only been asked a gazillion time!
      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• bwilburn79
        Registered Member
        • 12-2012

It's good that you are using the terminal blocks. With modules that utilize positional sensing, many people ultimately have to switch the wiring of the head piezo to get correct positional sensing. Ideally you would just wire it up like the diagram shows and be on your way but many have found that polarity from piezo to piezo is different. I don't think there is an easy way to test the polarity before hand so having the terminal blocks allows an easy switch during the testing phase. On a different note, I like your use of the EVA foam tiles for dampening. Does it seem to help? It looks like it would be less porous and more rigid than what I used.
        Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

• cure1973
          cure1973 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey mate
          Yes I have heard this too - also some people test with a multimeter somehow?
          And agreed on terminal blocks they make life a lot easier. My confusion is with the 3rd and 4th photos (not my build) where he seems to have the head piezo wires connected together in one block? I read his whole post and he got help off here from a couple of people to wire it this way. This just doesnt look like any of the diagrams Ive seen at all - hence my post!!!
          Anyway like you said once i have the module i can start tinkering around with it all!
          As for the foam - apart from the colour (!!) it does seem to work quite well. I simple glued down with spray adhesive and does take a fair bit of the ring out of the cake pan.
          I have only done this for the snare build though as its metal. The rest of the toms do still have a slight ring but not nearly as audible as the snare. Rubber sheet would probably do the job a lot better and would look more pro.....I just happened to have this lying around at the time!
          Cheers
          Dan

• bwilburn79
          bwilburn79 commented
          Editing a comment
          I see your confusion but I think it's an optical illusion. (Hey that rhymes) It looks like both are split. One wire from the head piezo goes to the tip, one wire from the rim piezo goes to the ring, and the remaining wires, 1 from the head piezo and 1 from the rim piezo, can group together and go the the sleeve. So you can use 3 terminals rather than 4 if you choose. Just a simpler, cleaner version of the same thing.

**Obviously I didn't specify which wire goes where because you should follow the diagram initially and change only if there seems to be a polarity issue**

• bwilburn79
          bwilburn79 commented
          Editing a comment
          Double Post
          Last edited by bwilburn79; 11-08-13, 08:34 AM. Reason: Stupid double post
      • cure1973
        Registered Member
        • 01-2012

Originally posted by JmanWord
        Does anybody know how to use the search function anymore. This has only been asked a gazillion time!
        Must be the new look website - my search button is missing...
        Look I know its a boring question to answer but I was trying to be specific (hence the pictures) etc I posted as to my confusion.
        Someone may reply who has had success doing something differently and sharing this.Be a pretty dull forum if no one replied to anything!
        That and the fact I am a lazy git and asking a question if far easier!
        Cheers
        Dan

Comment

Working...