Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

drums second build pics (hopefully)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drums second build pics (hopefully)

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
    Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.

Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
    Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.

Comment

Comment

Comment

As you can see have stripped all the crappy old wrap off kit. Thinking black glitter sparkle wrap? Have ordered some new heads and rim protectors.
          Just need a module to be able to test my dodgy wiring!
          Hopefully this will help / inspire others who are building too.......
          This kit will eventually end up as my 'full size' rehearsal kit in the soundproof studio I am planning on building in the garage ( I have told my wife - honest)
          I just hope when I get my module it will all work as planned!
          Cheers and thanks for looking
          Dan
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Hello cure,

that is an awesome looking build. Are these the famous, often-talked-about 'Fat Daddyo' Cake-pans?
            (They look stellar with the height-adjustable cone-platform!)

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

great job!

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                Hello cure, that is an awesome looking build. Are these the famous, often-talked-about 'Fat Daddyo' Cake-pans? (They look stellar with the height-adjustable cone-platform!)
                Hey Hair Yes they are mate - bloody expensive though! Not sure if they are the 'normal' ones that people use - these are more 'straight' at the sides and not tapered in? This meant I had to lose a screw holding the top lug. I might counter sink them in when I strip down for wrapping. Also not really happy with snare - wood would be better too much resonance with the pan in place! Cheers

Comment

Cool!
                  Those cooking-suppliers must have had a lot of run from drumming-folks lately....

As you can see have stripped all the crappy old wrap off kit. Thinking black glitter sparkle wrap?
                  No fan of natural finishes, eh?

Anything black will nicely match the black MDS-rack; but please make sure you paint the bassdrum-riser black as well, then!
                  It will look much more stealth and won't stick out like a sore thumb but matches and blend in with the whole kit!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Cool! Those cooking-suppliers must have had a lot of run from drumming-folks lately.... No fan of natural finishes, eh? Anything black will nicely match the black MDS-rack; but please make sure you paint the bassdrum-riser black as well, then! It will look much more stealth and won't stick out like a sore thumb but matches and blend in with the whole kit!
                    Ha ha yeah! I have some aluminium sheet I was going to cover it with but might look into getting the pearl jungle lift - bass drum spurs look better too than the ones I have! Natural is great but these are cheap drums some grain vertical some horizontal plus I have plenty of filling in to do ( old holes etc) Have bought a td12 module can't wait for it to arrive and start testing out! Also playing bass drum I may have got foam that is too firm? I've never played a roland bass drum so can't compare but it feels very stiff? Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by cure1973 View Post
                      I might look into getting the pearl jungle lift - bass drum spurs look better too than the ones I have!
                      That is a fine choice! ...and certainly a lot cheaper than any DW riser! Hehe...

Do you think the grain mismatch would get in the way, if you'd stain the shells? Or was filling the holes your main concern?
                      Regarding the foam: I have played Roland-bassdrums, both mesh and cloth, but don't ask me what is in there, or stiff a piece of foam may be...

I haven't got a clue! Other members will have to chime in on that one.
                      I reckon that it is all subjective to the playing-feel you want to achieve. My humble advice: If the rebound feels to bouncy - because of the stiffer foam - just give it a try and use some less denser foam.

HTH

Comment

That is a fine choice! ...and certainly a lot cheaper than any DW riser! Hehe... Do you think the grain mismatch would get in the way, if you'd stain the shells? Or was filling the holes your main concern? Regarding the foam: I have played Roland-bassdrums, both mesh and cloth, but don't ask me what is in there, or stiff a piece of foam may be... I haven't got a clue! Other members will have to chime in on that one. I reckon that it is all subjective to the playing-feel you want to achieve. My humble advice: If the rebound feels to bouncy - because of the stiffer foam - just give it a try and use some less denser foam. HTH
                        It's definitely foam like a cylinder shape... Just no idea how firm! Doesn't feel bouncy it's almost too hard! Until I get a module I won't really know what works! Btw I bought one off eBay a good deal too - only for seller to refund as it wasn't working properly when he tested it... Agggghhhhhh!!! As for grain and stain - yeah it's just not consistent enough for me otherwise I would leave them natural! Sure black glitter will do the job- one thing I have noticed (or should say didn't realise) is how limiting the racks are in terms of set up. I know it's an mds 20 rack designed for the roland pads I just wish you could adjust the Tom arms in and out more ( like bring drum closer or away from you ) without having to move the whole arm. For example my two floor toms the first in my acoustic set up is closer to my leg and the second a bit further out. With the rack if I move one or the other the other is too close or too far!! My only whinge, aside from that its a great well made rack! Cheers!

Comment

Nice job!
                          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Working...
                          X