No announcement yet.

Easy to make DIY HiHat controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really understand what the problem is... If you need to press a bit too hard to get the fully closed sound you should remove the 1k resistor since the FSR will never give you less than 1k. I don't really know the purpose of the 151k resistor but you may also try to put a 200K variable resistor instead to see what effect it has on the overall functionning.
    But I think the first step is to find the good material to press the fsr and the good position under your pedal to get the good range.

Comment

Took a long time coming...

Here's a pic of my FSR setup.
      It's still in "beta" mode, meaning I'll have to make a sturdier setup, but it is working nicely as it is.

I put a block of wood between the top hat and the bottom stopper plate. One side has the FSR KRT taped to it with a piece of foam on top. The other side only has the same size piece of foam. The foam is a cheap sponge that tilers will use... as soft as a trigger cone.

DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
        Took a long time coming...

Here's a pic of my FSR setup.
        It's still in "beta" mode, meaning I'll have to make a sturdier setup, but it is working nicely as it is.

I put a block of wood between the top hat and the bottom stopper plate. One side has the FSR KRT taped to it with a piece of foam on top. The other side only has the same size piece of foam. The foam is a cheap sponge that tilers will use... as soft as a trigger cone.
        Great !
        Don't need to drill the FSR this way.

You don't have any rotation problem with this design ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylv1co View Post
          Great !
          Don't need to drill the FSR this way.

You don't have any rotation problem with this design ?
          No rotation problem, the base plate is held with a strap of plastic preventing its rotation. The design of the cymbal, with the electronic box attached underneath, always follows the position of the block. Velcro could also be used in place.

Comment

i try to remove the 151k resistor but then it completely not works, put a pcb as base for the fsr and ads soft foam on the tip of the rubber that i stick to the pedal board make it work great...to get a good foot splash there must be nothing on top of the fsr,
            it works good now, just looking for a small box to keep it neat.

Comment

That's great !
              enjoy your Hihat now...

Comment

Sylv1co, do you know of anyone trying the FSR controller design with the 2Box module?
                Sorry if this has been answered already.
                sigpic

Comment

No I don't know, but if someone could make one with a pot, then it's almost sure you can make one with an FSR, unless it needs to go under 1kohm to get the closed sound (this fsr can't really go under 1k). I just don't know if you can replace the hall effect sensor by a pot.

Comment

Here are some pics and a vid (go to about 1'30" to here the TD-10 sounds) from a french guy that I helped to make a FSR based HH controler. The design is his own idea and I think it's a good solution to avoid to make a hole in the FSR, since it's actually the clutch that press the fsr and not the cymbal.
                    montag15.jpg
                    montag16.jpg
                    dsc_0010.jpg

You can see other pics and the entire discussion here on this french forum : http://www.latavernedesbatteurs.com/...hp?f=20&t=2965
                    Last edited by Sylv1co; 11-03-12, 04:40 AM.

Comment

I always love to see a FSR job done well!

I also adjusted mine to work with my Yamaha DTX700. Works really well.

Comment

I'm sorry for asking this, i'm sure it has been answered before many times but I'm surfing the interwebz for like 10 hours and didnt saw any answer.

Does this fsr based hihat controller work with the Trigger I/O? If not, are there any workarounds?

Best regards guys and thanks for this!
                        Making my way into diy edrums and failing to resist GAS!
                        Kit: Alesis Trigger IO + DIY Acrilic Cymbals + FSR Hihat Controller
                        Kit Pics here!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckytuh View Post
                          I'm sorry for asking this, i'm sure it has been answered before many times but I'm surfing the interwebz for like 10 hours and didnt saw any answer.

Does this fsr based hihat controller work with the Trigger I/O? If not, are there any workarounds?

Best regards guys and thanks for this!

There should be no problem, the trigger IO has a calibration feature for the Hihat that should even make it easier to set.
                          You could had a 20k resistor in parralel with the FSR (between tip and sleeve) to be sure to get good results.
                          Let us know how it works when you get it done.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Sylv1co, I bought two square FSR from here, as soon as I get them ill give them a try with your scheme and with a guitar hero drum pedal that I got here without the piezo, I might the piezo housing to place the FSR with some foam on top of it and see what results I get..
                            that's the pedal.
                            Last edited by Chuckytuh; 11-05-12, 11:44 AM.
                            Making my way into diy edrums and failing to resist GAS!
                            Kit: Alesis Trigger IO + DIY Acrilic Cymbals + FSR Hihat Controller
                            Kit Pics here!

Comment

Perceval, i was wondering if you could supply me schematic you used to get it to work with your dtx700, as I'm getting a dtx500, which I should think uses a similar, if not the same sensing for hi hats. This looks like a great build, which would save a lot of money over an RHH135.

Thanks,

SilentSeraph
                              My kit: Yamaha DTX500, Yamaha RHH135, Yamaha PCY135, Yamaha PCY150s, Alesis DMPad 14" Ride, Alesis 8" Realhead mesh converted, two DIY 13" mesh pads with Ddrum Red Shot triggers, Yamaha KP65, mounted on an Ion Pro Session rack.
                              Bands:
                              A Dying God: https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Dyi...06965945988018
                              Morvidus: https://www.facebook.com/MorvidusBlackMetal
                              My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/nattye
                              My YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/WhingyTeen

Comment

Hi SilentSeraph, the shematic shown on message #2 of this thread has been tested and seem to work good with the Yamaha DTX modules.

Comment

Working...
                                X