This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jman 31 View Post
    Knipe, that is clean man! Nice job. I am digging all of these ideas.
    Thanks Man, I have been to your site, sweet, I like it alot. T
    www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

• do you guys think that the bottom of these pans need holes for the air to escape?
      I notice that the Roland frames have large areas for the air to pass. At least that is what I think those are for.
      The cake pan idea looks like the perfect way to go for DIY.

Comment

• I think if you would like to decorate them with a design that would be nice but the mesh head provides enough air to escape that it wouldnt be neccesary. But it would be cool to decorate it or paint it. T
        www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

• Lookin good Tom! ... Looks like the Fat Daddios fit your shells fine. I checked fit on my Starlite acrylic kit and the Fat Daddio pan I tried fit fine with plenty of room and no drilling for hardware would be necessary. Not so with my Pacific kits. So clearance for hardware on various shells will vary.

So that is the advantage I suppose to the Fantes pans that CB discovered ... they are tapered a bit so for most drums they will not require drilling out for hardware clearance. What I like better about the Fat Daddio pans is the Stout aluminum build. The Daddios are 14 Gauge aluminum ... the Fantes are 18 Gauge aluminum... So the Daddios are a little more heavy duty..... not sure how much dif that makes though for triggering since the 10" drum I did with the Fantes style pan triggers excellent and Chromeboy has had excellent results with all the sizes on Fantes he has tried, up to 14" .... Oh, and overall price for doing my entire kit would have been nearly double with the Fantes compared to the price I got with discount on the Daddios...
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by tak-gt View Post
            do you guys think that the bottom of these pans need holes for the air to escape?
            I notice that the Roland frames have large areas for the air to pass. At least that is what I think those are for.
            The cake pan idea looks like the perfect way to go for DIY.
            As Tom said, no additional air vent would be necessary since mesh heads are porous. Also, you have a hole drilled already for wires in the pan. Having drilled the pans for hardware on my kit it makes little difference in acoustic noise. Adding the vinyl to the bottom of the loud 16" floor tom with Hart Magnum head is what made the biggest difference in quieting the tone.
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• Wow

Jman & ChromeBoy...all I can say is wow!!! You have done everyone at this forum a great service. I myself have just started tinkering with the DIY aspect of EDrums, and this will certainly make things better, and easier.
              Well done indeed!!! [Golf Clap]
              Now...where are those cake pans?
              Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

sigpic

Comment

• Tom, that is a fantastic looking build. Great attention to detail. Excellent work, as usual!

The Fantes pans look to be a slightly smaller O.D. at the very bottom of the pan than directly under the rim. I think its due to the "rolling" of the outside edge rather than using a hard 90 degree corner. In any case, its just enough of a difference to sneak past the lug mounting hardware on my cheap-o Pulse kits. Only the snare pan needed a mod. The lugs were closer to the bearing edge and I wanted to leave on the strainer hardware so I drilled holes for clearance. Quick, easy and worked fine.

I did a quick check with a Fantes pan in one of my PDP CX toms. Just like Jman's FatDaddio's pans, the Fantes pans would need to be drilled to work in my shells. So it seems that shell thickness, bearing edge cut, lug hardware style and lug hardware placement will all help determine the fit of a pan in drum. Even if they need modification, the changes are quick and easy with a drill, or ever better a grinder like Jman uses.

I ordered a few styles of deep dish pizza pans to try as they all had a very pronounced taper, but none fit my shells well enough to justify a switch. They were all quite loose in the shell and would have required way more effort to mod than it takes to simply drill out a cake pan to fit. It occurs to me that pie pans might work better, but I've not found a vendor who makes them in the right sizes.

Hope you're on the mend Jman. Know that you've got a lot of friends here sending "good vibes" your direction for a speedy recovery.
                ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

• Originally posted by ChromeBoy View Post
                  Even if they need modification, the changes are quick and easy with a drill, or ever better a grinder like Jman uses.

Hope you're on the mend Jman. Know that you've got a lot of friends here sending "good vibes" your direction for a speedy recovery.
                  Thanks for the well wishes CB .... antibiotics seem to be doing the trick for now.

I actuall gave up on the grinder when I saw how much cleaner things turn out with the drill. So after doing a few... this is the method I use:

1. Place the pan in the top of the shell resting on the screws.
                  2. Turn the drum upside down and mark the pan where every screw touches(mark all screws, not just a few or else you will end up with an uncentered pan when complete). Also mark one hole that corresponds with the same screw. There is usually a slight variation in lug spacing so it is important to mark what hole goes with what screw!
                  3. Drill a 3/16" pilot hole for all the spots.
                  4. Drill out the pilot hole with 1/2" drill bit.
                  5. Check the fit with holes and hardware.
                  6. Remark any area that still interferes with fit and ream out those spots.

Comment

• So today I went from store to store until I found the correct size pans. Must have been a sight for some people, I walked right in with my half shell and test fit the ones they had. I found them at Target and ACMoore.

Comment

• Originally posted by zild1221 View Post
                      So today I went from store to store until I found the correct size pans. Must have been a sight for some people, I walked right in with my half shell and test fit the ones they had. I found them at Target and ACMoore.
                      Nice. I think us DIYers must get the oddest looks from people when they see us sizing up things in stores, or when mentioning our projects after the sales associate asks why we are looking for a certain item.
                      sigpic

Comment

• i odn't understand much...some talk about cakes, some about pizza's and some about Pam's boobs so this must be interesting ,so congratulations anyway !
                        Ex E-kits:
                        ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                        ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                        current E-kit
                        ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                        " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

• Video Demo of full kit Drop in Conversion.

So I finished up rebuilding my Kurillian Birch kit using the Drop In Pan conversion ..... "DIP" conversion for short. As I mentioned earlier I did not change my kick as I really don't see much advantage to trying to find and buying a pan big enough for a 22" kick, plus the kick is single zone, and a very simple trigger system works fine. The hardest part of this decision was pulling out my existing triggering from the kit. This is not a conversion I did to improve on my response... the response was excellent already on the kit..... but I needed to "take one for the team" so to speak So, in the name of Science I did the full kit conversion so I could know what to expect, experiment with the build and any mods needed on various drum sizes, experiment with the trigger parameters for this style on various drum sizes, and most important use this for an extended period of time in normal play and recording.
                          I have been collabing on a couple tunes just this week and that is a good test. When recording if I get one rimshot when I am expecting a head shot .... or mi****s, etc. etc. that can mean rerecording the full drum take. But I had no problems like that whatsoever, triggering has been very good.

So, I now have the full kit converted plus the extra 12" aux. snare and a set of dual zone 1/2 tom/timbales.

I put up a 5 min. video of the kit performance, Here:
                          http://www.weblogimages.com/dajmando...onversions.wmv

I didn't realize I had the gain so high on my mixer when I recorded this and didn't feel like redoing it. I did some adjustment in Windows Movie Maker when I put the clips together, but it may still be pretty loud...

J
                          Last edited by JmanWord; 02-25-10, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• That's cool, I really like your kit now, it's very clean. I've been seeing all these DIY A to E threads lately and I've been kind of envious. If I was starting over with a kit I would go the A to E route but not practical for me both time wise and financially but that's ok I do really like how my kit is coming together with what I am adding.

B.Kidd

Comment

• I bought some pie pans that had a flat rim the other day and they fit PERFECT, but are a tad to shallow. The sides though taper off a lot to make room for any type of harware in you're shell.

Comment

• Excellent video Jman! You must be feeling better. A little DIY project and a few hours behind the kit are "good medicine"... of course, the antibiotics probably dont hurt either
                                2 things I notice right away; your rims seem to be picking up all the nuances that I had trouble with initially. I'm not using any rim guards and it looks like they may be a wise addition to a "DIP" installation. Also, that 16" tom seems to be working perfectly. That is awesome. I've been debating about building a fully field-removable/installable set of DIP's for my CX's using a wire "pig-tail" thru the vent hole rather than installing a 1/4" jack in the shell. I usually play them acoustically but have been thinking it might be nice to have the option to switch to "E" in a pinch. The 16" floor tom had been my primary concern. Not anymore!!
                                ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

Working...
                                X