• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JmanWord
    replied
    Originally posted by drumflan View Post
    Hi all,

First post, but I have found you all to be an invaluable resource in my first diy build!

Now, to stay on topic, I'm wondering if something like this would work for a 22" kick:
    http://www.etundra.com/21__Heavy_Wei...medium=organic

It doesn't state the depth...

The OD on that pan is 21" .... On the cake pans the OD is actually larger than the size you buy ... ie, a 9" pan is more like 9 1/2" at the OD of the lip.... that pizza pan says it is 21" OD ...That will be a little smaller than your kick and won't reach the rim. And looks very shallow. If you are set on using a pan for the kick, You could mount that to L brackets and the L brackets to your interior lug screws and adjust the distance the pan is from the head by the brackets. Personally I don't worry about the pan for kick drum conversion. A simple crossbar type conversion for the kick or even a side mount L bracket style like this will work:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=189736
    Last edited by JmanWord; 12-03-10, 07:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by BenVK View Post
    What about silicone tins/pans whatever you call them? I'm not sure how rigid they are but they'd be a lot easier to cut/drill or basicaly do whatever you want to make them suitable. Not sure if you can get them in bigger sizes though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILICONE-ROUND...item43a39f9c46
    Really, these pans are NOT hard to drill. As far as the plastic ones you speak of...I have no idea.

Originally posted by drumflan View Post
    Hi all,

First post, but I have found you all to be an invaluable resource in my first diy build!

Now, to stay on topic, I'm wondering if something like this would work for a 22" kick:

Looks pretty flat. Would still make a nice reflection plate kick project though.
    I say ...go for it!
    Last edited by fulrmr(Daniel); 12-03-10, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JmanWord
    replied
    Originally posted by frankzappa View Post
    Damn it! I'm trying to find a f***ing TRS jack that will fit through the hole in the drum. What are you guys using? This is the second set I've ordered that doesn't work
    You have to remove the metal air vent grommet from the drum shell to fit the 1/4" thick panel jack (NYS221)
    But you can also do it like this posted earlier in the thread:
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showpost.php...71&postcount=5

Leave a comment:

• BenVK
    replied
    You've got it so lucky in the US. You can't find this kind of thing in the UK and if you do, it's 4 times the price!

Leave a comment:

• drumflan
    replied
    Hi all,

Leave a comment:

• BenVK
    replied
    What about silicone tins/pans whatever you call them? I'm not sure how rigid they are but they'd be a lot easier to cut/drill or basicaly do whatever you want to make them suitable. Not sure if you can get them in bigger sizes though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILICONE-ROUND...item43a39f9c46

Leave a comment:

• frankzappa
    replied
    Originally posted by dm7g11 View Post
    Um.. I just really need to know.
    Do these cake pad DIY pads work on Yam modules?
    The dtxpress special? the DTX900 module?
    does the positional sensing work? Does the rim, cross-stick work ok?

I've been looking all over the place but I never found a clear answer..
    to what extent are these cake pans compatible with yam modules?
    what about that snare on/off nob? what about the 3 zone pad?..

sorry.. so many questions..

it's just... roland stuff is just so expensive here... yams are much cheaper
    Positional sensing only works on Roland modules TD-8 and up. Megadrum supports it as well.

Leave a comment:

• dm7g11
    replied
    Um.. I just really need to know.
    Do these cake pad DIY pads work on Yam modules?
    The dtxpress special? the DTX900 module?
    does the positional sensing work? Does the rim, cross-stick work ok?

I've been looking all over the place but I never found a clear answer..
    to what extent are these cake pans compatible with yam modules?
    what about that snare on/off nob? what about the 3 zone pad?..

sorry.. so many questions..

it's just... roland stuff is just so expensive here... yams are much cheaper

Leave a comment:

• frankzappa
    replied
    Damn it! I'm trying to find a f***ing TRS jack that will fit through the hole in the drum. What are you guys using? This is the second set I've ordered that doesn't work

Leave a comment:

• Teetoe_Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
    Good luck with finding one of those!
    Man you weren't kidding. 20+ inch cake pans are mythical creatures.

Tyler

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by Teetoe_Jones View Post
    This might be the worst thread (for my wallet) I've ever stumbled across. Why would you do this to me? I was perfectly happy and content with my crappy external triggers and then I read this. Now I want cake!

Kudos to this entire board for the amount of technical knowledge and documentation on how to go about these projects. I'm amazed at how helpful all of you are.

Now I off to go find a 21 inch cake pan.

Tyler
    Good luck with finding one of those! I searched all over and came up with nothing. My kicks still have standard crossbar triggers in them. Thinking hard about a reflection plate system though.

As far as the wallet goes, they really are quite cheap to build....unless you have as many pads as I do.

Leave a comment:

• Teetoe_Jones
    replied
    This might be the worst thread (for my wallet) I've ever stumbled across. Why would you do this to me? I was perfectly happy and content with my crappy external triggers and then I read this. Now I want cake!

Kudos to this entire board for the amount of technical knowledge and documentation on how to go about these projects. I'm amazed at how helpful all of you are.

Now I off to go find a 21 inch cake pan.

Tyler

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by frankzappa View Post
    How far above the rim should the tip of the foam cone be sticking out? Also there are 4 solder points (two for each piezo) but you are using a cable with 2 wires. How does that work?
    I think that will depend on module and head being used some....but there are some standards in many of the builds that use cones, I just can't recall the exact measurement reported. I run mine, with the pans, between a 1/16" to 1/8" and I am using very thick SolarScreen90 material. However I also used this height for my Hart heads too.

Actually the cables should be TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) They are 3 wire cables. (if you are making pads with 2 zones(head/rim). You need to check out the many diagrams that have been posted for wiring pads for specific modules. Usually Quartz sends one with his cones but there have been a few posted here. I don't have a copy handy for you....but it is here somewhere.
    Last edited by fulrmr(Daniel); 12-01-10, 06:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• frankzappa
    replied
    How far above the rim should the tip of the foam cone be sticking out? Also there are 4 solder points (two for each piezo) but you are using a cable with 2 wires. How does that work?

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrill
    replied
    Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
    These pans are like butter. Even the most modest drill with sharp bit will pretty much fall through it. No worries.

I guess I need to clarify that the pans I am refering to are the Fat Daddio Pans that JmanWord reccommended. These are the only ones I have experience with.
    These pans are rather thick, but definitely not too thick to drill through with a modest drill. The key is the drill bit more so than the drill. B&D makes titanium-tipped bits that are very affordable yet effective, they make nice clean holes and last a long time.

If you don't have a drill and some decent bits, I highly recommend getting them. Many drills exist that are inexpensive yet acceptable enough for typical DIY edrum building.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X