This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
    My pans from Fat Daddios were shipped today. Couldn't find anything big enough for a 22" kick so I will be modifying my 16" floor tom and making a kick from it until I can find a 21" pan.
    The simple solution is don't use a pan for the kick ... I do not plan on changing anything on the kicks I've already built, they trigger perfect already. As far as triggering: the kick is only single zone, and the easiest of all to trigger pretty much...
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
      The simple solution is don't use a pan for the kick ... I do not plan on changing anything on the kicks I've already built, they trigger perfect already. As far as triggering: the kick is only single zone, and the easiest of all to trigger pretty much...
      Yeah, I know. But since I could use the space at church and they had sizes that would fit the 16......It's going to be my kick for now. I still am hemming and hawing over splitting one of my 22"s to free up space in front of the kit at church, so the 16 will do for now. Then when I finally do modify the kick, I'll return it to floor tom status. Well...it will probly be mounted on the rack with the others anyway so "floor" probly isn't really acurate. Deepest may be a better description.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      [URL]http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm[/URL]

Comment

Complete: Stealth Kurillian Birch Kit Drop in Conversion

It's been a strange couple weeks, I have worked on a full kit conversion with the Drop in Pans.... I went ahead and pulled all the triggers out of my Kurillian Birch kit so I could build and experiment with the drop in pan conversions. In the middle of the project I came down with some kind of infection that spread through my face rapidly swelling and distorting my appearance, hard to talk with swollen lips.... I woke up feeling like someone had beat the heck out of me and looking like one of the inbreds from the "Deliverance" movie....

So, in general I have found that with this pan conversion you can expect the Rimshot adjust setting to be lowered comparitive to stock PD-125 settings for Roland modules. By accepting that and just setting parameters according to the characteristics of these drop in pan triggers I have been able to attain excellent response with head, rim .... positional detection for both head and rim ... consistent crosstick response .... basically the same kind of response I have grown to expect from my own Stealth drums ... And they do have that easy in, easy out .... change over from acoustic to electronic thing going for them.

One thing I do find a little different on this is it seems each drum requires it's own tweaking ... not like a one size fits all thing as far as trigger parameters... each drum requiring it's own special parameter tweaking.

I stayed with the shell mounted jacks on these drums, especially since I already had these jacks installed in most of the drums.

So here are some pics:
        16 in Kurillian Floor tom drop in (Small).jpg

Drop in Kurrillian tom (Small).jpg

Kurillian toms and 1 snare drop in complete (Small).jpg

Kurrilian Tom Chop (Small).jpg

12 in Kurillian 2 zn drp in aux snare (Small).jpg
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Sweet. Now I have to do this.

Comment

A few more pics with my new custom built 12" Kurillian Birch Aux. snare drum

Just in case Chris (Bogiesbad) happens to stop by I know he would be proud that I once again took a couple perfectly good toms .... well, better than perfectly good, excellent Exotic finish toms ..... and put them on the table saw platform and SLICED EM IN HALF!!

This is actually the best option for me to create a matching finish Aux. snare and a couple "mini tom/timbales for my kit, .... since they are not made to order I figure I can make em to my desire....

So I sliced a 10" and a 12" Kurillian Birch exotic finish tom in half... the darker fade side along with the black hardware will become my mini tom/timbales ... and the 12" aux. snare I had to buy a cheap PDP 12" snare just to rob the chrome hardware off it .... that went on my Kurillian finish custom 12" snare that now matches nicely in my kit ...

I am getting very nice response out of my entire kit now... I'll shoot a video in the near future of the way they perform: OK, a couple more pics:
            12 Kurilliean snare drop in (Small).jpg

12 and 14 in Kurillian snare in kit (Small).jpg

Comment

Wow! Just beautiful, JMan, absolutely beautiful. *golf claps*

Any chance you could show a couple of close-up pics of the jack-mount - at both the pan and shell?
              TD-10 (exp), [URL="http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57853"]a2e kit still in progress[/URL]... soon my pretty...

Comment

Originally posted by RavenMad View Post
                Wow! Just beautiful, JMan, absolutely beautiful. *golf claps*

Any chance you could show a couple of close-up pics of the jack-mount - at both the pan and shell?
                Well, on the new 12" snare I used the same deep panel jack I have been using for years. As far as connection between pan and jack, I use 1/4 male quick disconnects on the jack and 1/4 females on the wires coming from piezos through the pan. There is just enough room to put the connectors through the pan hole/gasket one at a time. The wiring is the same diagram posted on the site for years... Beatnik diagram.

I've done both types of jacks... the ones on this kit are all mounted in the shells, and the pan can be popped in or removed by simply disconnecting the quick disconnects. I also did my first one where the jack is not connected to the shell: Here:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...71&postcount=5

The deep panel jack mount: 12 aux snare pan jack bottom (Small).jpg

12 Kurillian snare jack side (Small).jpg

Comment

Cheers JMan!

Have you noticed any tone coming from the pan itself? I've mounted mine without any dampening between the pan and the bearing edge and firm strikes produce a slight ringing tone (I'm using 4-ply DIY flyscreen heads)... I'm wondering if the window seal strip will be enough to prevent it or whether I might need to stick a strip of foam on the underside of the pan...
                  TD-10 (exp), [URL="http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57853"]a2e kit still in progress[/URL]... soon my pretty...

Comment

Time to take a trip to Walmart tomorrow... Blegh. Hopefully they have them.

Comment

• Originally posted by RavenMad View Post
                      Cheers JMan!

Have you noticed any tone coming from the pan itself? I've mounted mine without any dampening between the pan and the bearing edge and firm strikes produce a slight ringing tone (I'm using 4-ply DIY flyscreen heads)... I'm wondering if the window seal strip will be enough to prevent it or whether I might need to stick a strip of foam on the underside of the pan...
                      Actually, I've prolly already put 60 or more hours in testing variations on this cone/piezo pan/piezo design. One of the things I installed in a couple of my smaller drums I did just to tone down the pan vibrations, at first just to change the rim and head triggering interaction .... and then modified the dampening, removed .... added, etc .... etc... After adding a vinyl dampening sheet to the interior bottom of one of my smaller toms I had my headphones off checking out acoustic noise levels and noticed that my 16" tom with Hart Magnum head was much louder than my other toms.... so I added the vinyl dampener to the pan on that one and it brought that noise under control quick... It also did not affect the rim triggering in a negative way, so it works out pretty well. But I think it is important to cut a circle out of the center of the dampener where the rim piezo attaches or the response is not nearly as good... So, no, if you are getting a lot of pitch noise from your pan, the small gasket at the top will prolly not be enough to kill that .... I have not noticed that on most of my drums though, but definitely the 16 tom with Hart head was pretty noisey till I dampened it! Pic:
                      Clear vinyl dampening sheet drop in (Small).jpg
                      Last edited by JmanWord; 02-18-10, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zild1221 View Post
                        Time to take a trip to Walmart tomorrow... Blegh. Hopefully they have them.
                        9" cake pans to fit a 10" drum are pretty common ... but the other sizes will require ordering from a baker supply like the ones we linked in the thread.

Comment

• Hmm, luckily right next to Walmart there is a Chef's warehouse. Maybe I can take a gander in there.

Comment

• I really appreciate all the info on this. My MegaDrum has been shipped and I plan on ordering the triggers from Quartz. This appears to be the best meathod for me to use on converting my drums. Cheers.
                            A to E Yamaha / Yamaha Cymbals / Mac Mini

Comment

• Originally posted by deathbyart View Post
                              I really appreciate all the info on this. My MegaDrum has been shipped and I plan on ordering the triggers from Quartz. This appears to be the best meathod for me to use on converting my drums. Cheers.
                              Just be aware that each sound module or TMI has it's own charachteristics as far as the type of trigger that works best. I have never used a MegaDrum TMI, so it may take a bit of experimenting to get the pad fine tuned for the TMI. I have already tested one with Alesis Trigger iO though and it is definitely workable for that, more isolation between rim and head is preferable plus smaller piezos would work better with the iO, and perhaps Megadrum also.

Comment

• Quartz is shipping 27mm piezos with the cones. I have a feeling it will take a lot of "tweaking". Who knows, I may get fed up and buy a Roland.
                                A to E Yamaha / Yamaha Cymbals / Mac Mini

Comment

Working...
                                X