This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Steve.
    I used pans that are 1" in diameter smaller than the drum shell. I've done 2x10", 2X12" and 3X14" and they all fit great; I can't speak to drums larger than 14" at this point but I think Jman is going to try a drop-in for his 16" tom at some point in the future.
    Everything is working well now, but I'm going to try Jman's last mod and switch from the foam weather stripping to the rubberized stuff as it seems to have improved rim performance for him.
    ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

I am only going to use it for a single zone tom, should i still use the foam to protect my bearing edge?
      -atorHater
      !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX
      SD 2.2, Addictive Drums 1.5

Comment

Originally posted by steve_huck View Post
        It seems like this idea would be great for 8-12" drums, seems like it may be a little unstable the bigger you get.
        I don't see any problem at all with going larger. I just received my pans today, and they are quite heavy duty... The pans are not flimsy ...15" pan for a 16" drum is quite stout actually.
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
          I don't see any problem at all with going larger. I just received my pans today, and they are quite heavy duty... The pans are not flimsy ...15" pan for a 16" drum is quite stout actually.
          One of the pans I was given is 14" and the metal is quite thick. I really can't foresee it flexing too much or being a problem either.
          sigpic

Comment

Fat Daddios, very stout, fit the drum well, but interior drum hardware hits pan

OK, so I received the Fat Daddio pans today. Wow, these 16 gauge aluminum pans are very heavy duty, very well made. As the title says, the fit for the drum shell is perfect, but the heads of the interior screws for the lug casings interfere with the pan fit. So, since they say no returns on pans and it is way too much hassle IMO to ship back and start again... I will keep these and grind out the spots where the pans bump the screw heads. These pics show the 16" and 12" pans set temporarily in my shells. I ground them on my bench grinder as needed... takes about 5 minutes or so to grind each pan on my bench grinder... unfortunately I will have to grind all of mine... not so bad ....
            The 16" shows the mod I did plus the weather strip installed for bearing edge protection. So, the heavier gauge aluminum may mean the pan is just a little wider outside dimension ... or just a dif brand would mean less modification... as the 9" pan from ChromeBoy did not require any grinding for the screw heads, but the Fat Daddio pan will.

Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Which pans were the original ones jman, that didnt interfere with the screws
              -atorHater
              !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX
              SD 2.2, Addictive Drums 1.5

Comment

Originally posted by steve_huck View Post
                Which pans were the original ones jman, that didnt interfere with the screws

http://vdrums.com/forum/showpost.php...5&postcount=43

Comment

I can't be positive, but it looks from the pictures that the pans Jman received have straight sides. The ones I ordered are all tapered... not too much, but enough to miss the top lug screw in the inside of the shell. Other than that, they look like a good fit in terms of matching the diameter of the shell and how they sit on the B.E.
                  ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

Originally posted by ChromeBoy View Post
                    I can't be positive, but it looks from the pictures that the pans Jman received have straight sides. The ones I ordered are all tapered... not too much, but enough to miss the top lug screw in the inside of the shell. Other than that, they look like a good fit in terms of matching the diameter of the shell and how they sit on the B.E.
                    I'd like to see the one you ordered, CB, they sound more like the one I have... it is tapered in around the bottom an inch or so on the exterior surface.
                    sigpic

Comment

You can see the pans I used in Post #5 of this thread. They came from here:
                      http://www.fantes.com/cake-pans-round.html#2
                      I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the top vs the bottom of the pans, I just know that they cleared the lug hardware on all of my toms. I'm guessing it is closer to .5" than 1" as I was using .25" thick weather stripping to wrap the pans and the fit seemed right on.

Comment

Hi, I have some spare shells and parts to build an entire set. This looks to be the cheapest/quickest way of finishing those shells. Anyway, I have 2 10" shells and 2 12" shells.

That means I need to get 9" pans and 11" pans? Could someone link to the BEST brand of pan to use specifically please. Thanks.

Comment

this looks fantastic guys, a few quick questions though... im about to start my first DIY..is this the easiest rout for me? i know nothing about triggering, other than what i am learning here, and i have a DM5 module, if that matters. Also, if i am cutting shells down, is there still the need for the weather stripping for isolation if i dont care about my bearing edge? Or is it still important to help reduce crosstalk between toms? Final question..would those premade cones found on ebay work well with this?
                          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by knitt31 View Post
                            this looks fantastic guys, a few quick questions though... im about to start my first DIY..is this the easiest rout for me? i know nothing about triggering, other than what i am learning here, and i have a DM5 module, if that matters. Also, if i am cutting shells down, is there still the need for the weather stripping for isolation if i dont care about my bearing edge? Or is it still important to help reduce crosstalk between toms? Final question..would those premade cones found on ebay work well with this?
                            Thanks!
                            IMO, this is not the best option for use with an Alesis module... in fact, it would kind of be pointless to use a cone because you cannot make use of PS. However, if you use a shallower pan, like an inch deep or less, you may be able to get some foam and make a darn good reflection plate. I would PM hellfire about it if he doesn't chime in, he knows quite a bit about Alesis and even runs his own Alesis forum.
                            sigpic

Comment

zild1221: Yes, a 9" pan for a 10" tom and and 11" pan for a 12" tom. I'm not sure there is a "best pan" that's been identified yet. It seems that not many people have played around with the design yet. That said, I'm happy with the pans I got from www.fantes.com, but your "mileage" may vary depending on the shells you're using. It sounds like KnipeDrums is going to do some more testing. I'm sure Tom will report his findings when he completes his build.

knitt31: I've never used a DM5, so I can't offer any hints regarding designing for that module. I used the weather stripping to tighten the pan in the shell as well as to provide isolation. Last night I built another 12" tom but this time used rubber gasket weather stripping like Jman recommended. Worked great.

Cheapthrill is right, Hellfire has excellent info about reflection plate designs on his web page. He's done several variations and has made the designs available. I made a modified reflection plate drop-in using the cake pans last weekend and it works very well. I'm using a Mylar head though, not mesh, with that design. In that case, the 2" deep pan worked fine, but I do have some 1" deep pans on the way that will probably work better.

Comment

Since my name was used twice I thought I would pop in.
                                Yes, if you are using an Alesis product I would suggest using a refection plate type set-up. Don't get me wrong, a cone set-up would work but, to get it to work really well really requires a slightly different set-up then most of the ones used on the forum sites. A good place to start with refection (or resonator) plate method is to watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhhRQ2Zv4mo

also, I have this picture on my site which I did back in 1998:

Even though the assembly is shown in a REMO practice pad, it can be easily used in any conversion. Of course the more room you have, the bigger the piece of foam on top of the plate can be used. Be sure to use a higher density foam on top than on the bottom. Also, it might be beneficial to add a sub-resonator plate (see video above).

I hope this helps.
                                alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Working...
                                X