X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evil1rox View Post
    Just a side note to JMan:

I think your washer/dryer have more pics on teh internets than Pam Anderson's boobs.

E
    The highest praise my set has ever received..... my washer/dryer set I mean There are similarities.... they're a big, white, matching set and have been viewed a lot around the world.
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Next week I will order a set of these and work up a batch, I will also find a custom cut bearing edge that will work with the cheaper 1/4" thick export type luan shells and then another that will fit with Kellers shells. I have a feeling after looking at Jerry's pics that on good thin shells you could use a flat slightly rounded edge for a good fit. Ofcourse these would work if you were building a kit around this build.

Originally posted by ChromeBoy View Post
      Great video Jman!
      Tom, as far as I know Jman is still using the 9x2" pan I sent him. I bought it thru this place:
      http://www.fantes.com/cake-pans-round.html#2
      I bought my entire set from here. As I mentioned, with my tom shells, the larger the pan, the tighter the fit, so I ended up using different thicknesses of weather stripping around the pan itself to tighten the pan in the shell. Jman's method of placing the smaller weather stripping immediately below the rim seems like a more universal option, plus by the looks of things, it triggers great. Some of the fit may depend on the thickness of your shells and the style/cut of bearing edge too.
      As an option you can check these. I used one for my V1 and V2 builds (before I ordered a set from Fantes.com) and they fit fine.
      http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
      www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

I'm curious about using this setup in a reflection plate design. Is there any reason why the pan itself couldn't be used as the reflection plate? Just attatch the peizo to the bottom of the pan, stuff it with foam and slip it into the drum. I've been lurking on these forums for years and haven't built my project yet, so I don't have any practical experience, but reading this thread got me wondering. Of course it would probably lose its rim trigger functionality, but for a quickie build where PS and rim triggers are not a priority, could that work? To JMan and ChromeBoy: Brilliant work, by the way!

Comment

Hi Chud.
          I tried a reflection plate version just like you suggested. It didn't trigger as well as the cone version, didn't feel great and as you'd expect, was a lot louder (which isn't actually a big deal in my case).
          A lot of it was probably due to the foam I tried (just upholstery foam from a hobby store) and the depth of the pan. I'm going to try a RP version with a 1" deep pan and a different "recipe" of foam. Single zone only, and with a mylar head. I'll post the results as soon as its finished, but the pan isn't going to be here until after 2/4 as it was back ordered.
          ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

Holy Cow!

I had this EXACT same idea late last summer! A friend of mine acquired a bunch of pans from a pizzeria that closed down and gave me a few... I noticed that they fit nicely into a shell... I started thinking about how hellfire used a pan with an Alesis and how they could be rigged for use with a Roland to get PS... my idea in my is literally the exact same thing JMW and CB came up with! I have even ordered some piezos to do a conversion with this concept, but had to hold off because of low finances.

I guess great minds really do think alike!
            sigpic

Comment

Jaw dropping wow! Have you ever read a post and got the shivers, knowing this just changed your life! OK, maybe not my life, but Chromeboy and Jman just changed my next DIY project! Cake pans! It was there staring at me all the time. I like cake and I like DIY drums - perfect match. I am doing my 14" and 16" with cake pans!
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys.
                Cheapthrill, I've got some pizza pans on the way to experiment with too. They are only 1" deep so they'll need a modification from the current drop-in. They have a slightly different lip so I thought they'd be worth experimenting with. We'll post the results when they are ready.
                ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                  The highest praise my set has ever received..... my washer/dryer set I mean There are similarities.... they're a big, white, matching set and have been viewed a lot around the world.
                  Another similarity... both your washer/dryer and Pam's... er... "twins"... were built in a factory

Comment

Originally posted by ChromeBoy View Post
                    Thanks guys.
                    Cheapthrill, I've got some pizza pans on the way to experiment with too. They are only 1" deep so they'll need a modification from the current drop-in. They have a slightly different lip so I thought they'd be worth experimenting with. We'll post the results when they are ready.
                    The ones I was given are for deep-dish pizza and are actually over 2" deep, and made of very thick, sturdy metal too. I will post about my conversion whenever I get around to building it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Seems like Jerry and CB have started a pan-demic.
                      chris :D

Comment

Last night I ordered cake pans and I cant wait to see how they fit in the drum shell. Price was right on the site. This will be a great diy project especially for 8 inch shells that the crossbar has been sketchy with. I also can see used with kick drums also. T

Comment

Originally posted by KnipeDrums View Post
                          Last night I ordered cake pans and I cant wait to see how they fit in the drum shell. Price was right on the site. This will be a great diy project especially for 8 inch shells that the crossbar has been sketchy with. I also can see used with kick drums also. T
                          Could you imagine a 22" cake!?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                            Could you imagine a 22" cake!?
                            MMMMMM........cake.................
                            8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                            http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

mmmmmm Cake, a Great Band and an equally great dessert.

I am going the Distance!!

I wasnt thinking so much of a 22" Kick drums since I do mostly 16" or 18" Kick drums with E stuff. But I do think that a 22" cake would be a great thing as well as a 22" Key Lime Pie, now that would be cool.

Comment

It seems like this idea would be great for 8-12" drums, seems like it may be a little unstable the bigger you get.

I am definetly gonna try this out, i hate having to install the l brackets and everything for a normal crossbar method.

The cake pan also looks very professional from the bottom.

Might be a dumb question but if i wanna do a 12" drum, then do i get a 12" pan. Is there a certain place you guys are getting these pans
                                -atorHater
                                !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX
                                SD 2.2, Addictive Drums 1.5

Comment

Working...
                                X