X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marv Stover
    replied
    Thanks for the kind replies. I now have something to think about.

Leave a comment:

• JmanWord
    replied
    With no dampening you will get some tone from the converted drums. Not really loud, but a little noisier than a crossbar build. I did a demo back when ... it is the earliest one on my youtube site:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt0ePZdLbV4
    looking back and listening to some of that .... I definitely prefer my new custom sounds in my 2Box modules.

Leave a comment:

• allanjohn
    replied
    Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
    Allanjohn's suggestion of holes would be very easy to accomplish with a hole cutter for a drill(1",2" or 3"" would work depending on the size of the pan) as the aluminum of Fat Daddio's pans are very soft....and it would look very cool too.
    I've got a bunch of pans with unsuccessful hole attempts. You do need a decent hole-cutter - even for thin pans.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by Marv Stover View Post
    Hello all. Great tread. Very interesting

I did an A to E conversion a few years ago and am looking at starting another project. In my first conversion I used the cross bar method for triggering. My question on the drop in is how much more noise does it make over the crossbar? I use a Roland TD-20 module. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marv
    Yep..they definitely have an acoustic overtone for sure but I don't consider it noise. In fact mine(with no dampening material like JmanWord uses) has a particular acoustic quality for each incremental size shell like regular A's....but much quieter and a bit metallic. Frankly IMHO it's not all that noticeable unless you are hell bent on complete silence. Unless I'm mistaken...Jman knocked his overtones down to almost nil for his build. Allanjohn's suggestion of holes would be very easy to accomplish with a hole cutter for a drill(1",2" or 3"" would work depending on the size of the pan) as the aluminum of Fat Daddio's pans are very soft....and it would look very cool too.
    Last edited by fulrmr(Daniel); 12-17-12, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• allanjohn
    replied
    Hi Marv,
    There's no doubt the pan conversion is far noisier than the cross-bar method - even if you use dampening material. If you have the appropriate skills and tools, you could make scores of holes in the pan, or cut out sections so you're let with a star formation. Otherwise, prepare for more noise.
    Allan

Leave a comment:

• Marv Stover
    replied
    Hello all. Great tread. Very interesting

I did an A to E conversion a few years ago and am looking at starting another project. In my first conversion I used the cross bar method for triggering. My question on the drop in is how much more noise does it make over the crossbar? I use a Roland TD-20 module. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marv

Leave a comment:

• Jörg Wronka
    replied
    Hello, my name is Jörg Wronka.

Sorry, I can understand that you are upset.
    The Cakepan design is really very intelligent.
    The problem in Germany is not to copy it.
    But to acquire the Cakepans.
    That was my idea, people in Germany to help in this matter.
    But the construction of drums is not my first income.
    Therefore, I will not pursue this idea further.

At this opportunity.

Of course, the brain goes 2box also means Trigger.
    But it is easier to operate it with the edge trigger.

So again sorry for the confusion.

Greats Jörg

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by tripp2k View Post
    Just threw a cake pan snare together and it worked out the gate. I used piezos from UFO that I got a few years ago for a crossbar build I could never get to work (retarded wiring). I've got the the rim piezo half-way between center and rim at about 2 o'clock. Dialed up the PD-125 in my TD-12 and bam...we have a cake! I knocked the sensitivity down a couple notches for dynamics. Other than that I'm thinking hard about whether to use triggers (already bought and shipped) or cakepans on the remaining drums.

THANK YOU to the guys that made this possible.
    The pans have been an extremely reliable build for 99% of everyone who has tried them. Congrats on the build. Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• tripp2k
    replied
    Just threw a cake pan snare together and it worked out the gate. I used piezos from UFO that I got a few years ago for a crossbar build I could never get to work (retarded wiring). I've got the the rim piezo half-way between center and rim at about 2 o'clock. Dialed up the PD-125 in my TD-12 and bam...we have a cake! I knocked the sensitivity down a couple notches for dynamics. Other than that I'm thinking hard about whether to use triggers (already bought and shipped) or cakepans on the remaining drums.

THANK YOU to the guys that made this possible.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by tweakmanson View Post
    Well, I'm sure if someone wanted to shut them down a call to Roland would probably get the ball rolling. I'm sure there is a patent violation somewhere trying to sell it commercially
    I doubt it....US patents are only enforceable in the US. They don't hold water in many countries or there would be more than one entrepreneur out of business. I'm sure there are all sorts of loop holes like offering it "FREE" with the purchase of a drum kit or something like that. Who knows?

I'll just stick to building my own to save some cash. Besides Wronka's "new" design has been around long before they decided to offer it.

Leave a comment:

• tweakmanson
    replied
    Well, I'm sure if someone wanted to shut them down a call to Roland would probably get the ball rolling. I'm sure there is a patent violation somewhere trying to sell it commercially

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
    Yeah..they have had this out for a little while. I commented a few times about it to them giving a nod to the you and chromeboy's efforts. They agreed it was exactly like it but they offered a solution for the 2box crowd. I then mentioned that the 2Box would function just as well with a center mounted trigger. This is why Dmitri encodes his chips for the MegaDrum now too.

It's a shame really that they offered these with no warning or even a "Thanks" to the developers for the
    "Free money"(so to speak) and that they decided to offer them complete instead of a kit of all the necessary parts to build your own to at least keep them in the DIY realm.

I still like the design of pans and will probly never use/build anything else.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by dtnjnq View Post
    I'm planning on building the cake pan drop in trigger system for some 10inch toms. I've bought a cake pan, actually it's a stainless steel salad bowl which perfectly fits into the Tom shell. The salad bowl is slightly curved so the sides miss all the drum hardware. I have a couple of questions

1. The pan edge sits on the bearing edge of the drum shell and once the mesh head in put on, it tightens against the edge of the cake pan. If I install a rim piezo at the bottom of the pan will hitting the mesh head tigger the rim since the mesh head is touching the edge of the cake pan?

2. The cake pan vibrates when the mesh head is hit and is a little noisy. I'm planning on sticking a piece of rubber foam to the bottom inside of the pan to stop the vibration noise. Will dampening the pan affect the operation of the rim trigger?
    I don't believe so. In fact JmanWord dampened his pans with clear the PVC he uses for his cymbal conversion to keep the resonant sound down.

However the type of "Pan" or bowl as it were that you are using, may make a bit of a difference. I would try it using a temporary way of affixing it to the bowl before installing it permanently to see if it suits your needs. That way you can either try something else easily if it does not work or then affix it permanently if it does.

Leave a comment:

• dtnjnq
    replied
    I'm planning on building the cake pan drop in trigger system for some 10inch toms. I've bought a cake pan, actually it's a stainless steel salad bowl which perfectly fits into the Tom shell. The salad bowl is slightly curved so the sides miss all the drum hardware. I have a couple of questions

1. The pan edge sits on the bearing edge of the drum shell and once the mesh head in put on, it tightens against the edge of the cake pan. If I install a rim piezo at the bottom of the pan will hitting the mesh head tigger the rim since the mesh head is touching the edge of the cake pan?

2. The cake pan vibrates when the mesh head is hit and is a little noisy. I'm planning on sticking a piece of rubber foam to the bottom inside of the pan to stop the vibration noise. Will dampening the pan affect the operation of the rim trigger?

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
    When someone takes the Free ideas we offer in these DIY sections to capitalize on it, it really burns me. I used to post every new idea I had in DIY threads, then after seeing several of the parts I've posted make it into commercial edrum products it took a lot of the joy out of it.

Sorry, no respect for Wronka Drums from me. Wonder how Chromeboy feels?
    Yeah..they have had this out for a little while. I commented a few times about it to them giving a nod to the you and chromeboy's efforts. They agreed it was exactly like it but they offered a solution for the 2box crowd. I then mentioned that the 2Box would function just as well with a center mounted trigger. This is why Dmitri encodes his chips for the MegaDrum now too.

It's a shame really that they offered these with no warning or even a "Thanks" to the developers for the
    "Free money"(so to speak) and that they decided to offer them complete instead of a kit of all the necessary parts to build your own to at least keep them in the DIY realm.

I still like the design of pans and will probly never use/build anything else.

Leave a comment:

• JmanWord
    replied
    Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
    This design is now being offered commercially: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
    When someone takes the Free ideas we offer in these DIY sections to capitalize on it, it really burns me. I used to post every new idea I had in DIY threads, then after seeing several of the parts I've posted make it into commercial edrum products it took a lot of the joy out of it.

Sorry, no respect for Wronka Drums from me. Wonder how Chromeboy feels?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X