X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie Balz
    replied
    Thanks Daniel, this is very helpful. Time to knuckle-down and do some homework I guess.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronnie Balz View Post
    This is so inspiring. Thanks jman and ChromeBoy. I've got a 3 x 13 Pearl piccolo snare sitting here screaming for a cake pan!

I read through the first few pages of this thread and it seems the "recipe" for your cake pan design has improved incrementally. Can anybody point me to the specific parts list of the final design? (If it exists somewhere.) I found ChromeBoy's great youtube vids but I'm old and feeble and need things written down! Would love to get the exact components that this group of gurus has already thoroughly vetted -- to cut down on my own hair pulling. If not, I'll send an email to the Quartz guys. I'm sure they can help too.

Thanks again.
    Quartz has great parts.

The best advise I can give you is read the whole thread....then search for cake pan builds and find one that you can wrap your head around. There are so many successful variations from the creative members here that "specific" parts(other than Quartz's or the Fat Daddio's pans) would be very hard to do.

Fat Daddio's.....http://cooksdream.com/store/round-pa...t-daddios.html

Use this search custom engine to find other builds. It was made for us by a member as the forums SE sometimes does not produce good results....

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01...85:ld78rt83m3w

Lots of great builds for this design out there..........

Also here is a couple of my builds to browse through when you get done with the original

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...version-Part-1
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...earlesque-quot
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...ick-Conversion

....and the my last kit with pans that I am now updating......

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...-Monster/page6

Have Fun!

Oh...what module are you using? TD-20?...30. If it's the 30 you may want to look a bit more into the newer trigger design to use for your pan build as the PD108/128 have a different design than the previous pads.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie Balz
    replied
    Need the recipe!

This is so inspiring. Thanks jman and ChromeBoy. I've got a 3 x 13 Pearl piccolo snare sitting here screaming for a cake pan!

I read through the first few pages of this thread and it seems the "recipe" for your cake pan design has improved incrementally. Can anybody point me to the specific parts list of the final design? (If it exists somewhere.) I found ChromeBoy's great youtube vids but I'm old and feeble and need things written down! Would love to get the exact components that this group of gurus has already thoroughly vetted -- to cut down on my own hair pulling. If not, I'll send an email to the Quartz guys. I'm sure they can help too.

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by everson View Post
    No drilling without a pattern, ofcourse ...
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• everson
    replied
    No drilling without a pattern, ofcourse ...

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    The one I have is 1". I would just drill more holes if needed.
    I think this is more subjective to particular tastes and aesthetics. Personally I would want something larger...especially for larger pans and depending on the design and pattern of the number of holes I wanted for a particular look. In fact I would design the pattern first and then use the appropriate bite to facilitate a clean design. For me...a just a bunch of random holes drilled in the pan or covering the whole of the bottom would not be something I would like. Effective for the purpose of cutting down on sound......absolutely.......but not aesthetically pleasing to me.

Leave a comment:

• everson
    replied
    Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
    Hmm...interesting. Do unibits come in 2" or 3"? If so...I agree.
    The one I have is 1". I would just drill more holes if needed.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
    I was after 1" = 2" holes, so tried using a whole saw which was listed for soft metal. However, it just made a ridge in the pan - and a awful lot of noise!
    a ridge? Do you mean it didn't even cut through at all? That sucks.

Leave a comment:

• allanjohn
    replied
    Originally posted by vmastro View Post
    Alanjohn,
    Use a punch to make a slight dent in the pan where you want the hole. That keeps the bit from wandering. Start with a small bit to make the first hole, then increase the bit size until you reach the final size. I use 3 bits for a 5/16 final hole size. This works for me.
    I was after 1" = 2" holes, so tried using a whole saw which was listed for soft metal. However, it just made a ridge in the pan - and a awful lot of noise!

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    That`s right. But using a unibit was really easy and problem-less experience for me. I would go with it just because of that.
    Hmm...interesting. Do unibits come in 2" or 3"? If so...I agree.

Leave a comment:

• everson
    replied
    That`s right. But using a unibit was really easy and problem-less experience for me. I would go with it just because of that.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by vmastro View Post
    Alanjohn,
    Use a punch to make a slight dent in the pan where you want the hole. That keeps the bit from wandering. Start with a small bit to make the first hole, then increase the bit size until you reach the final size. I use 3 bits for a 5/16 final hole size. This works for me.
    Or you could use a unibit.
    When drilling for grommets and bolts....these techniques are perfect. However you don't need to "step up" a bunch of different hole sizes if you use a "Hole Saw Bit" for metal. These come in much larger sizes and will be more appropriate for removing larger amounts for the purpose of opening up the pan to eliminate some of the acoustic properties associated with this type of build.

Leave a comment:

• topdj
    replied
    very cool, I been wanted to convert my Yamaha Custom Recording set to E but everyone says that is a pricey set to start messing with. Tempted to go buy another set to modify.

Leave a comment:

• everson
    replied
    Or you could use a unibit.

Leave a comment:

• vmastro
    replied
    Alanjohn,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X