This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronnie Balz View Post
    This is so inspiring. Thanks jman and ChromeBoy. I've got a 3 x 13 Pearl piccolo snare sitting here screaming for a cake pan!

I read through the first few pages of this thread and it seems the "recipe" for your cake pan design has improved incrementally. Can anybody point me to the specific parts list of the final design? (If it exists somewhere.) I found ChromeBoy's great youtube vids but I'm old and feeble and need things written down! Would love to get the exact components that this group of gurus has already thoroughly vetted -- to cut down on my own hair pulling. If not, I'll send an email to the Quartz guys. I'm sure they can help too.

Thanks again.
    Quartz has great parts.

The best advise I can give you is read the whole thread....then search for cake pan builds and find one that you can wrap your head around. There are so many successful variations from the creative members here that "specific" parts(other than Quartz's or the Fat Daddio's pans) would be very hard to do.

Fat Daddio's.....http://cooksdream.com/store/round-pa...t-daddios.html

Use this search custom engine to find other builds. It was made for us by a member as the forums SE sometimes does not produce good results....

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01...85:ld78rt83m3w

Lots of great builds for this design out there..........

Also here is a couple of my builds to browse through when you get done with the original

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...version-Part-1
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...earlesque-quot
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...ick-Conversion

....and the my last kit with pans that I am now updating......

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...-Monster/page6

Have Fun!

Oh...what module are you using? TD-20?...30. If it's the 30 you may want to look a bit more into the newer trigger design to use for your pan build as the PD108/128 have a different design than the previous pads.
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

• Thanks Daniel, this is very helpful. Time to knuckle-down and do some homework I guess.
      robpagecreative.com

Comment

• Drop in Pan: my slight mod for 2Box module

When I first switched over to the 2Box module a few years back I tested both my original crossbar multi-piezo mesh drums as well as my Drop in Pan mesh drums with the 2Box module. I ended up using my crossbar drums as they perform excellent with very little trigger parameter tweaking at all. Since then I did try my Drop in pan snare a couple times with the 2Box module but was never able to simply adjust the trigger parameters and get the head/rim triggering as perfect as my crossbar design. The other day I decided to open up the drum and do a little modding if necessary to get the response I wanted. I also have the SPD-30 so can test these with that as well as the 2Box module. I have mentioned it before, but again, the newer Roland modules are very user friendly as far as getting many different pads to trigger well, they just have such a wide range of trigger parameter adjustments! So it is not surprising that my original pan build functions quite well on the SPD-30.
        My original pan build was made using 35MM piezos for both head and rim. Since it seemed the rim was very hot using the 35MM rim piezo for the 2Box drum, I switched that out with a 20MM piezo. My results were very pleasing. Plug n Play that way .... same parameter for the snare as I am using for my crossbar build, very consistent head and rim triggering.... One other hint I would put out there, make sure you get good contact with the head foam .... my normal 1/8" above the bearing edge is the ticket here.... pretty important actually with the 2Box module, too low and you will get more errant triggering .... Ie rim triggering from the head.... Since I already use quick connects for the piezos it was a pretty quick mod for me ..... Now all that just to take the drum I modded, put it back in the case and put it away. I plan to keep using my Acrylic blues, but I did want to get the pan build working well for the 2Box.
        Also .... With the smaller rim piezo I found that the trigger parameters I used in the SPD-30 ended up closer to factory PD-125 or 128 settings also, although I think I still prefer the larger rim piezo with the SPD-30 as the trigger parameters can be adjusted and that is a very sensitive piezo, great unless it is a little too hot ... like with the 2Box module.

Anyway, just in case that helps anyone, a smaller piezo in the bottom of the pan and making sure your foam cone is about 1/8" above the bearing edge of the drums works quite well for me ...
        20MM compared with 35MM piezo
        Attached Files
        Last edited by JmanWord; 09-08-13, 10:30 PM. Reason: corrected piezo size
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50, 2Box modules,(Mimic coming), drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
          When I first switched over to the 2Box module a few years back I tested both my original crossbar multi-piezo mesh drums as well as my Drop in Pan mesh drums with the 2Box module. I ended up using my crossbar drums as they perform excellent with very little trigger parameter tweaking at all. Since then I did try my Drop in pan snare a couple times with the 2Box module but was never able to simply adjust the trigger parameters and get the head/rim triggering as perfect as my crossbar design. The other day I decided to open up the drum and do a little modding if necessary to get the response I wanted. I also have the SPD-30 so can test these with that as well as the 2Box module. I have mentioned it before, but again, the newer Roland modules are very user friendly as far as getting many different pads to trigger well, they just have such a wide range of trigger parameter adjustments! So it is not surprising that my original pan build functions quite well on the SPD-30.
          My original pan build was made using 35MM piezos for both head and rim. Since it seemed the rim was very hot using the 35MM rim piezo for the 2Box drum, I switched that out with a 15MM piezo. My results were very pleasing. Plug n Play that way .... same parameter for the snare as I am using for my crossbar build, very consistent head and rim triggering.... One other hint I would put out there, make sure you get good contact with the head foam .... my normal 1/8" above the bearing edge is the ticket here.... pretty important actually with the 2Box module, too low and you will get more errant triggering .... Ie rim triggering from the head.... Since I already use quick connects for the piezos it was a pretty quick mod for me ..... Now all that just to take the drum I modded, put it back in the case and put it away. I plan to keep using my Acrylic blues, but I did want to get the pan build working well for the 2Box.
          Also .... With the smaller rim piezo I found that the trigger parameters I used in the SPD-30 ended up closer to factory PD-125 or 128 settings also, although I think I still prefer the larger rim piezo with the SPD-30 as the trigger parameters can be adjusted and that is a very sensitive piezo, great unless it is a little too hot ... like with the 2Box module.

Anyway, just in case that helps anyone, a smaller piezo in the bottom of the pan and making sure your foam cone is about 1/8" above the bearing edge of the drums works quite well for me ...
          15MM compared with 35MM piezo
          Cool. Mine trigger very well also using a 25mm.
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

• Good post, Jman. I used 25mmm for the rim and get good triggering on both the TD-30 and the 2box.
            . digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

• Excellent mod Jman, great work (as always)!!
              ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

• Originally posted by ChromeBoy View Post
                Excellent mod Jman, great work (as always)!!
                Good to see ya CB ..... I'll bet you didn't realize how big of an impact your wife's cake pan would have on the Edrum diy community. This Drop in Pan conversion is turning out to be a pretty universal system. With simple mods like changing piezo sizes to accommodate different modules .... slight sound dampening to the pan to make it quieter if needed, and the fact you can switch back and forth between acoustic or electronic if desired .... quite a contribution you have made! J
                I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50, 2Box modules,(Mimic coming), drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                  Good to see ya CB ..... I'll bet you didn't realize how big of an impact your wife's cake pan would have on the Edrum diy community. This Drop in Pan conversion is turning out to be a pretty universal system. With simple mods like changing piezo sizes to accommodate different modules .... slight sound dampening to the pan to make it quieter if needed, and the fact you can switch back and forth between acoustic or electronic if desired .... quite a contribution you have made! J
                  Agreed. I won't build any other design as long as I can help it. Very cool indeed.

Comment

• Quick question, I just got my brand new DTX900 module. Loving it. My cake-pan snare is having one issue though, sometimes a second strike is damping the ring-out of the first strike. If I press down lightly on the center of the head -- on the cone -- problem solved. So either the head is too loose -- hope not cause it plays just right -- or my cone needs to come up higher. Or is it a setting inside the DTX900? Thx
                    robpagecreative.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronnie Balz View Post
                      Quick question, I just got my brand new DTX900 module. Loving it. My cake-pan snare is having one issue though, sometimes a second strike is damping the ring-out of the first strike. If I press down lightly on the center of the head -- on the cone -- problem solved. So either the head is too loose -- hope not cause it plays just right -- or my cone needs to come up higher. Or is it a setting inside the DTX900? Thx
                      Try tightening the head first because it's easiest step....if that does not work....raise the cone and tighten the head.....if that doesn't work...check the settings.

Comment

• What kind of triggers are you talking about here Allan?

Comment

• Originally posted by hemiboy View Post
                          What kind of triggers are you talking about here Allan?
                          DIY drop-in pan triggers.
                          . digitalDrummer
                          Review index

Comment

• Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
                            DIY drop-in pan triggers.
                            Thanks a lot Allan

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                              Oh, wow, I just realized that I've never shared my little trick to solve this without cutting the pan or finding the right screws.... it would be easier to explain it with visuals than try to describe it, so I will come back a little later when I can demonstrate what I am talking about.
                              Did I miss it, or has this not been shared yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by kcmedic View Post
                                Did I miss it, or has this not been shared yet?
                                Nope...he has not posted it yet as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                                X