Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the kind replies. I now have something to think about.

Comment

• Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
      I've got a bunch of pans with unsuccessful hole attempts. You do need a decent hole-cutter - even for thin pans.
      Absolutely. You'll need a sharp hole bit specifically for metal. Then you must clamp the pan to a piece of wood securely and flat, and cut from the inside of the pan.....slow and steady. A drill press will help facilitate this. A little WD40 or 3in1 oil will help the cutting process also. Then you will need to clean up the edges with a file...sand paper or a grinder as you would any metal after cutting.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

• Alanjohn,
        Use a punch to make a slight dent in the pan where you want the hole. That keeps the bit from wandering. Start with a small bit to make the first hole, then increase the bit size until you reach the final size. I use 3 bits for a 5/16 final hole size. This works for me.

Comment

• Or you could use a unibit.

Comment

• very cool, I been wanted to convert my Yamaha Custom Recording set to E but everyone says that is a pricey set to start messing with. Tempted to go buy another set to modify.
            Custom Flame photo wrapped Roland TD-30/MDS-25 & KD140, PD125 and PD105x3, CY11,CY14Cx2,CY-13R,CY12R ,DW racked Yamaha 9 piece Custom Recording & practice kit TD-9KX2 with PD105,PD85x3, KD85, CY8,CY5
            Drummer for http://www.facebook.com/BloodySabbath.NY

Comment

• Originally posted by vmastro View Post
              Alanjohn,
              Use a punch to make a slight dent in the pan where you want the hole. That keeps the bit from wandering. Start with a small bit to make the first hole, then increase the bit size until you reach the final size. I use 3 bits for a 5/16 final hole size. This works for me.
              Originally posted by everson View Post
              Or you could use a unibit.
              When drilling for grommets and bolts....these techniques are perfect. However you don't need to "step up" a bunch of different hole sizes if you use a "Hole Saw Bit" for metal. These come in much larger sizes and will be more appropriate for removing larger amounts for the purpose of opening up the pan to eliminate some of the acoustic properties associated with this type of build.
              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

• That`s right. But using a unibit was really easy and problem-less experience for me. I would go with it just because of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by everson View Post
                  That`s right. But using a unibit was really easy and problem-less experience for me. I would go with it just because of that.
                  Hmm...interesting. Do unibits come in 2" or 3"? If so...I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by vmastro View Post
                    Alanjohn,
                    I was after 1" = 2" holes, so tried using a whole saw which was listed for soft metal. However, it just made a ridge in the pan - and a awful lot of noise!
                    . digitalDrummer
                    Review index

Comment

• Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
                      I was after 1" = 2" holes, so tried using a whole saw which was listed for soft metal. However, it just made a ridge in the pan - and a awful lot of noise!
                      a ridge? Do you mean it didn't even cut through at all? That sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
                        Hmm...interesting. Do unibits come in 2" or 3"? If so...I agree.
                        The one I have is 1". I would just drill more holes if needed.

Comment

The one I have is 1". I would just drill more holes if needed.
                          I think this is more subjective to particular tastes and aesthetics. Personally I would want something larger...especially for larger pans and depending on the design and pattern of the number of holes I wanted for a particular look. In fact I would design the pattern first and then use the appropriate bite to facilitate a clean design. For me...a just a bunch of random holes drilled in the pan or covering the whole of the bottom would not be something I would like. Effective for the purpose of cutting down on sound......absolutely.......but not aesthetically pleasing to me.

Comment

• No drilling without a pattern, ofcourse ...

Comment

No drilling without a pattern, ofcourse ...
                              I agree.

Comment

• Need the recipe!

This is so inspiring. Thanks jman and ChromeBoy. I've got a 3 x 13 Pearl piccolo snare sitting here screaming for a cake pan!

I read through the first few pages of this thread and it seems the "recipe" for your cake pan design has improved incrementally. Can anybody point me to the specific parts list of the final design? (If it exists somewhere.) I found ChromeBoy's great youtube vids but I'm old and feeble and need things written down! Would love to get the exact components that this group of gurus has already thoroughly vetted -- to cut down on my own hair pulling. If not, I'll send an email to the Quartz guys. I'm sure they can help too.

Thanks again.
                                robpagecreative.com

Comment

Working...
                                X