X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KnipeDrums
    replied
    Originally posted by jman 31 View Post
    Knipe, that is clean man! Nice job. I am digging all of these ideas.
    Thanks Man, I have been to your site, sweet, I like it alot. T

Leave a comment:

• zild1221
    replied
    I think we need to get a list of people together and do a bulk order of cake pans.

Leave a comment:

• jman 31
    replied
    Knipe, that is clean man! Nice job. I am digging all of these ideas.

Leave a comment:

• KnipeDrums
    replied
    Second series of pics show various views of the pan. I will do a build workup with parts.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• KnipeDrums
    replied
    Here are a few pics of what i thought would be a fun project and possible open up some new ideas (which it has). Here is the pics, Tom

I started with a 11" pan from Fat Daddios which will fit the 12" e shell.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KnipeDrums; 02-25-10, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrill
    replied
    Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
    Does the PVC go inside or outside? I'm also thinking of a foam disc at the top of the pan, but clear of the head and cone.
    He taped it to the inside:
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showpost.php...&postcount=100

I bet your foam disc idea would work well too.

Leave a comment:

• allanjohn
    replied
    Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
    Allenjohn, did you add a dampener inside the pan (like JmanWord did with the sheet PVC)? It seems like that would help to absorb those sound waves and make it somewhat quieter.
    Does the PVC go inside or outside? I'm also thinking of a foam disc at the top of the pan, but clear of the head and cone.

Leave a comment:

• RavenMad
    replied
    Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
    Nothing compares to the sound of a 10" carbide tipped 24 tooth blade kissing the fine virgin Kurillian Birch shell at around 7000 RPM.
    If only I had such a table saw - I'm using a Japanese Pull saw - at least I'm gettnig a nice fine cut

...and yes, this design is awesome - kudos to JMan & ChromeBoy.

For those who are interested, I'm experimenting with using the bottoms of old tins (eg, baked beans, tinned tomatoes etc) cut from the rest of the tin as the riser plates for the head triggers. I'll let you know if it works out.

Leave a comment:

• bogiesbad
    replied
    Nothing compares to the sound of a 10" carbide tipped 24 tooth blade kissing the fine virgin Kurillian Birch shell at around 7000 RPM. Ahhhhh....I need a smoke.
    Can't say I have seen a DIY design develop as fast and furiously as this one but Jerry you better slow down and take care of that infection buddy...we need you around here.
    Just to show you I'm serious there will be no comments about a yeast infection from me...no sir...not from me.

Leave a comment:

• deathbyart
    replied
    Originally posted by RavenMad View Post
    You sure about that? I just ordered some from him off of ebay and the ad said 35mm - he sends a bonus 27mm for the rim trigger...
    Pretty sure you can get any size from him. I just read the email again to make sure but he mentions 27mm. You guys made me think I was going crazy...

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrill
    replied
    Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
    * much noisier than the crossbar method because the sound waves have somewhere to resonate.
    Allenjohn, did you add a dampener inside the pan (like JmanWord did with the sheet PVC)? It seems like that would help to absorb those sound waves and make it somewhat quieter.

Leave a comment:

• allanjohn
    replied
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I couldn't resist and tried a drop-in pan for my 10" tom. For those Aussies contemplating the DIY, I found a 22cm Willow "heavy metal baking tray" (0.6mm) at K-mart for $6.25. I used the clear plastic case from a lens filter as the platform, held in place with double-sided tape strips. I tried a few bottle lids before finding something with the right height.
    All in all, a very easy installation - much, much easier than the crossbar method.
    The one issue I had was that the pan is just a bit small for the shell, so it balances on top of the bearing edge, but when the head is on, it's obviously held in place by the tension.
    The advantages:
    * far superior rim triggering - using exactly the same piezos and setting off my crossbar trigger.
    * neater appearance, especially with the non-stick black coating on the pan.
    * simple one-hole installation (obviously more drilling will be required with a platform design rather than an upturned lid)
    * the triggers are now protected - something of an issue when you're moving your drums around for practice and gigs. I never felt too safe with the electronics so exposed from the bottom.
    Disadvantages:
    * much noisier than the crossbar method because the sound waves have somewhere to resonate.
    * the tom is now heavier as the pan weighs more than the alumium cross bar (perhaps someone will find a lighter tray).
    * time-consuming - because I'll have to do the rest of my toms now!
    Overall - worth a try and I'm sure this is going to get a lot of people into DIY, with good results, especially for dual-zone triggers.

Last edited by allanjohn; 02-19-10, 01:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JmanWord
    replied
    Kurillian Mini tom/timbales with drop in pans ... jack in pan

OK, I finished off my Kurillian Birch add-on toms today. These are the ones that I built using half of the the 10" and 12" toms that I sliced. For these since the bottom is open I just simplified the design and placed the jack in the pan, you'll see it in the pics. I used the same clear vinyl I use for my top rim guards for the bottom trim... works for me

The 10" tom has the original pan that Chromeboy sent me, the 12" has the Daddio pan that I drill out for interior screw clearance...
    10 Kurillian mini tom-timbale drop in (Small).jpg

10 Kurillian mini tom-timbaleJack in pan (Small).jpg

12 Kurillian mini tom-timbale drop in complete (Small).jpg

12 Kurillian Mini tom clear vinyl trim top and bottom (Small).jpg

10 and 12 Kurillian mini toms with 2 zone drop in pans in percussion section (Small).jpg

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by RavenMad View Post
    You sure about that? I just ordered some from him off of ebay and the ad said 35mm - he sends a bonus 27mm for the rim trigger...
    I'm sure you are correct in this. Maybe he does special orders with smaller piezos but I have not heard this. Mine will be here this weekend or Monday and I am sure that they are 35mm.

Leave a comment:

• RavenMad
    replied
    Originally posted by deathbyart View Post
    Quartz is shipping 27mm piezos with the cones.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X