This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M-RES View Post
    Can we make this thread into a sticky - I think it's self-contained enough to justify it, plus it's a great little source of info and a really interesting read as a piece of R&D
    I agree, this one is prolly sticky worthy.... Done. J
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• This project reminds me of my muff'l rings that I developed for my DIY a few years ago. http://vdrums.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-34480.html But this looks a lot stronger

Comment

• Originally posted by sae View Post
        This project reminds me of my muff'l rings that I developed for my DIY a few years ago. http://vdrums.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-34480.html But this looks a lot stronger
        Interesting, but there are no actual pics of your trigger build... do you have any?
        sigpic

Comment

• I will have to see if I still have them kicking around somewhere.

Comment

• New Pan Idea for Drop ins!!

So I was playing a hotel gig this past weekend and when loading in I notice a huge rack of these stainless steel chrome pans. I guess they are called Platter Covers! Very shiny. They looked very much like the cake pans being used for the Drop In method, but with tapered sides. SO...on my way out I grabbed a couple. Got home and they fit perfectly in my 12" tom!! They DO have a hole in the center, but...it's CHROME! I went online to research them and they a more or less sold in bulk and you can get different sizes. Might be pricey.

Anyway, just goes to show you the influence of this board on my thinking! Always thinking DIY!!!!

Here's what they look like.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1280&bih=610

Comment

• Originally posted by swingrays View Post
              So I was playing a hotel gig this past weekend and when loading in I notice a huge rack of these stainless steel chrome pans. I guess they are called Platter Covers! Very shiny. They looked very much like the cake pans being used for the Drop In method, but with tapered sides. SO...on my way out I grabbed a couple. Got home and they fit perfectly in my 12" tom!! They DO have a hole in the center, but...it's CHROME! I went online to research them and they a more or less sold in bulk and you can get different sizes. Might be pricey.

Anyway, just goes to show you the influence of this board on my thinking! Always thinking DIY!!!!

Here's what they look like.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1280&bih=610
              Are you saying you simply just stole them? Always good to keep an eye out for new build materials... and the hotel staff!

You should build a trigger and see how it goes.

It looks like they come in sizes that would accommodate 8", 10", and 12" shells, but I haven't found anything larger. However, maybe you can swipe one of these and try it on a 16" shell:

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                Are you saying you simply just stole them? Always good to keep an eye out for new build materials... and the hotel staff!

You should build a trigger and see how it goes.

It looks like they come in sizes that would accommodate 8", 10", and 12" shells, but I haven't found anything larger. However, maybe you can swipe one of these and try it on a 16" shell:

LOL! Or you could just swipe a whole new kit and not have to build anything!
                8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

• Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
                  LOL! Or you could just swipe a whole new kit and not have to build anything!
                  Ha! Well, from the way the young hotel staff manager was being complete passive/aggressive b*tch to the help I didn't feel so bad pilfering just a couple.

I won't be jacking hubcaps anytime soon, but if I see a 22" spinner and it's late at night....

swing

Comment

• Has anyone found suitable cake pans in the EU?
                    Or will I have to get my friend in New York to send me some?

This project looks so good that I have to try it...

Thanks Phil for coming up with the original idea, and ChromeBoy, JmanWord, and Racer52 for evolving it!

Comment

• amazing

Hey everyone Ive been away a long time and just found this its an amazing idea well done everyone concerned.
                      Did anyone find any sources for these in the UK or if they have a different name here?
                      Well done again people, keep up the good work

Comment

• From my searches on ebay, it looks like they go by "cake pans" or "cake tins" in the UK. The problem is that there aren't many cheap ones, and not that many odd sizes, and they are mostly of the non-stick type, which I guess isn't great for sticking tape to...

So please, if anyone finds a good supplier in the EU, let it be heard!
                        I wouldn't mind a PM, either.

Comment

• UK Suggestion

Originally posted by model76 View Post
                          From my searches on ebay, it looks like they go by "cake pans" or "cake tins" in the UK. The problem is that there aren't many cheap ones, and not that many odd sizes, and they are mostly of the non-stick type, which I guess isn't great for sticking tape to...

So please, if anyone finds a good supplier in the EU, let it be heard!
                          I wouldn't mind a PM, either.
                          I haven't used these (so can't vouch for them), but the following site sells tapered pizza pans, which look like they could do the job and are available in most sizes needed. In addition, I think the 'Separators' (aluminium discs) available here could be used in reflection plate triggers.

http://www.acepans.co.uk/index.php?id=5

Hope it helps.
                          Last edited by pre0ats; 08-09-10, 07:50 AM. Reason: forgot link!

Comment

• Those look real good, except they are only 1.5" deep... The cones that I am using now are about that height (38mm), so that leaves no room for rim trigger or isolation.

Other than that they look perfect!

Comment

• Originally posted by model76 View Post
                              Those look real good, except they are only 1.5" deep... The cones that I am using now are about that height (38mm), so that leaves no room for rim trigger or isolation.

Other than that they look perfect!
                              They might be a good alternative for a reflection plate build.
                              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                              http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

• Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
                                They might be a good alternative for a reflection plate build.
                                That's what I was thinking... especially if using a Mylar disc floating in poly-fill foam.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X