Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm using it as a tom, so PS is not an issue. Anyway, the foam is not in contact with the head, just filling the cavity and killing the sound, so I don't think it'll affect PS.
    Last edited by allanjohn; 03-17-10, 02:11 AM.
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

• Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
      I'm using it as a tom, so PS is not an issue. Anyway, the foam not in contact with the head, just filling the cavity and killing the sound, so I don't think it'll affect PS.
      I doubt the head PS would be affected in a negative way as you are not interfering with the cone or mesh head. Using a vinyl disk in the bottom of the pan did not affect the PS, just calm the overtone, and it does tone down the rim response some.... but it is just a matter of adjusting rimshot adjust and rim gain settings if you add pan dampening.
      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• Surprisingly, very little effect on rim triggering. I haven't had to change the settings at all.
        Last edited by allanjohn; 03-17-10, 12:35 PM.
        . digitalDrummer
        Review index

Comment

• Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
          Surprisingly, vey little effect on rim triggering. I haven't had to change the settings at all.
          Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
          I doubt the head PS would be affected in a negative way as you are not interfering with the cone or mesh head. Using a vinyl disk in the bottom of the pan did not affect the PS, just calm the overtone, and it does tone down the rim response some.... but it is just a matter of adjusting rimshot adjust and rim gain settings if you add pan dampening.
          Well then, I think Bogiesbad needs to come up with a 2" foam disc cutting jig.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
            Well then, I think Bogiesbad needs to come up with a 2" foam disc cutting jig.
            His wife must have him on a long Honeydo list or something.... haven't seen much of that lad lately
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• new here, what type of heads are you using for this conversion?

I was directed here because I posted a question about using a Remo Legero as a basis for a DIY conversion. I just about read the complete thread. I'm not sure I picked up whose Mesh heads you are all using for your conversions. I also need to check out my Legeros and see if there is room for the cake pan because they are mounted with a support thru the side. Possibly a portion of the pan could be cut away for clearance? It's obviously not an issue with the snare, though it is a very shallow snare, but may be with the toms. Anyway, great project, thanks for inventing the wheel and sharing your experience. I hope to make this conversion or sell the Legeros and buy another type of small kit for the conversion. I have a bad back from 4 surgeries so I bought the Legero's for their portability over my Premier 5 piece kit. Thanks again, Spiney-Dave
              Premier 5 piece acoustic w/ Zildjian & Sabians, Roland TD-6V kit, Remo Legero Porta-Kit. Previously owned DrumKat V 3.5 and Ludwig Red Vistilite very sorry I traded them away :( Been playing for 40+ years.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiney View Post
                I was directed here because I posted a question about using a Remo Legero as a basis for a DIY conversion. I just about read the complete thread. I'm not sure I picked up whose Mesh heads you are all using for your conversions. I also need to check out my Legeros and see if there is room for the cake pan because they are mounted with a support thru the side. Possibly a portion of the pan could be cut away for clearance? It's obviously not an issue with the snare, though it is a very shallow snare, but may be with the toms. Anyway, great project, thanks for inventing the wheel and sharing your experience. I hope to make this conversion or sell the Legeros and buy another type of small kit for the conversion. I have a bad back from 4 surgeries so I bought the Legero's for their portability over my Premier 5 piece kit. Thanks again, Spiney-Dave
                Heads are a matter of particular taste and budget. I use Harts and I am trying a DIY mesh project at the moment. Alot of folks swear by Rolands and other by Billy Blast or DrumTech. Most agree that Pearl mesh heads are junk. Percussion Plus (made by Remo, I think) are a step up from Pearls but are still very thin in my opinion. Never had one rip like the Pearls though. Harts are almost bullet proof IMHO, though they are pricey. Hope this helps.
                8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

• Do you sell these already made?
                  Peter

Comment

• Originally posted by scd View Post
                    Do you sell these already made?
                    Peter
                    The short answer is no, otherwise this detailed thread with pics wouldn't be here Although somewhat unique, there might be a problem with patent infringement for someone attempting to sell this.

Comment

• I finally have the pieces (FYI: shipping from Canada takes forever :P) I can tell you that the Fat Daddio's don't fit into Yamaha drums without modification. I will post pics as I progress through the project.
                      A to E Yamaha / Yamaha Cymbals / Mac Mini

Comment

• I stumbled across this yesterday while browsing... just the thing to correct my poor rim response on my 12" snare!

Now, here lies the problem.... there is NO ONE in Australia who can provide cake tins in aluminium above 10" (250mm). They move to tin above those diameters.

I have been searching high and low... there is no one. I want an 11" x 2" pan... is someone able to ship one over to me if I pay for all costs? If anyone can help please get in contact with me and we'll go from there.

Thanks, Rob.
                        Rob
                        Building GAS as we speak!! - TD11KV. Extra Yamaha cymbals. MDS-25 rack.

Comment

• Hey Rob, I have also been looking, but no luck yet. I suspect the specialty catering stores would have them.
                          Failing that, we may have to import a bunch of them from the US.
                          Another discovery which may interest baking pan DIYers. I took out my foam muffling ring and replaced it with a black (must be black!) felt disk and it does the same job of keeping down the sound - just as effective and totally invisible (and much easier to cut).
                          . digitalDrummer
                          Review index

Comment

• Yeah Al I have been in contact with a supplier here in Brisbane, Bakeryfix @ Beenleigh. They can supply Al. tins up to 250mm diameter only, above that they go to tin units. I feel there will be nowhere near enough lip to have the head sit onto it properly.
                            I have also contacted a few other places, but they are all in the same boat.... and would have to bring them in from overseas as well.
                            I looked at the Willow units you mentioned, but I have a 12" snare and not a 10"... so no good for me!
                            I wouldn't mind making a 14" one as well, to convert my Sonor 2000 series snare I use on my "A" kit.

Oh, and BTW....excellent work on the new mag... I will be reading more tonight when I get some time. If you need any parts machined just let me know and I will make 2 of everything I am currently doing!
                            Rob

Comment

• Another option with the 12" is to buy a Roland basket. They do sell them in the part dept - but obviously not the same price as a cake tin! I tried lookng into Willow, but they don't have a website, and I haven't been able to find a contact number.
                              . digitalDrummer
                              Review index

Comment

• I shudder to think of how much a Roland part would be... remember to add 1000% when buying here in Australia..

I still think I would be better to import one myself (a tin that is)

I did find a perfect item on ebay though... problem is they want US$68 to ship a US$11 item to Aus.... robbery I tells ya!
                                Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X