X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by deathbyart View Post
    You guys think a dremel with the right attachment could drill and notch the cake pans? I am concerned with not having a high power drill for this project.
    These pans are like butter. Even the most modest drill with sharp bit will pretty much fall through it. No worries.

I guess I need to clarify that the pans I am refering to are the Fat Daddio Pans that JmanWord reccommended. These are the only ones I have experience with.
    Last edited by fulrmr(Daniel); 11-05-10, 08:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deathbyart
    replied
    You guys think a dremel with the right attachment could drill and notch the cake pans? I am concerned with not having a high power drill for this project.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by c0ok1e View Post
    Does the cake pan method work with snare? Snare drums are quite shallow :hmm:
    Works just fine. Even for 3" piccolo snares.

Leave a comment:

• c0ok1e
    replied
    Does the cake pan method work with snare? Snare drums are quite shallow :hmm:

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by twistedmellow View Post
    Cone = cool!

Those cake tins would be a problem for my DIYs. apart from the lug screws on the inside, there is also a wide bit of curved screwed onto the inside of the shells (using the lug screws) that support the outer mounts. Those cake tins wouldn't give enough clearance for it all to sit inside mine. But... interesting. I'm loving your platform design though - be interesting to see how well it triggers!
    That's been pretty common with this build. You just drill out the spots where the bolts and such touch. You'll see this in some of the many photos from folks who have done this build. Every now and then you'll find a shell or two that will not require any modification to the pan.

Leave a comment:

• rasoo
    replied
    I'm loving your platform design though - be interesting to see how well it triggers!
    I'll do a video tonight and post it on YT.

Leave a comment:

• twistedmellow
    replied
    Cone = cool!

Those cake tins would be a problem for my DIYs. apart from the lug screws on the inside, there is also a wide bit of curved screwed onto the inside of the shells (using the lug screws) that support the outer mounts. Those cake tins wouldn't give enough clearance for it all to sit inside mine. But... interesting. I'm loving your platform design though - be interesting to see how well it triggers!

Leave a comment:

• rasoo
    replied
    Man, did you make your own cone there!? And, based on the pic, it appears you've completely isolated the head piezo with foam underneath too - what a great idea!

How well does it work, and where'd you get the pan from?
    Re: Cone... yes...

And yeah the foam does a good job at isolation. What you do not see is the aluminium disc underneath the foam, which forms the main platform. On top of the foam is another smaller aluminium disc which the head piezo mounts to.

The pan is a genuine Fat Daddio's I sourced from a local supplier, they are bringing them in from the USA. Cost was $26 in total off ebay. The tin was $16.50 and shipping $9.50.
    They have them in all sizes we want, the catch is the depth is 3"... no huge drama.

http://www.bakeshack.com.au

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrill
    replied
    Originally posted by rasoo View Post
    Here is the trigger assembly I came up with, works well. The rim trigger is not fitted in these pics.

Nice adaptation! So isolating the head piezo more did the trick. I figured. That just seems to be the trick to get good triggering with the pan method.

Leave a comment:

• twistedmellow
    replied
    Man, did you make your own cone there!? And, based on the pic, it appears you've completely isolated the head piezo with foam underneath too - what a great idea!

How well does it work, and where'd you get the pan from?

Leave a comment:

• rasoo
    replied
    Here is the trigger assembly I came up with, works well. The rim trigger is not fitted in these pics.

Leave a comment:

• allanjohn
    replied
    Another option would be to drill large holes in the pan - something that should be easy for someone with every metalworking tool known to man at his disposal!

Leave a comment:

• JmanWord
    replied
    OK .... good to hear you got PS working.

Good buzz roll response, No double triggering, consistent PS, even rim response and good cross-stick response are the key test points I go through on my converted snare drums. When the response of all those areas is right I find I prefer playing these to stock pads. Beyond the actual build .... going through the Basic and Advanced trigger parameters and setting them meticulously for the new drum will get you there.

Leave a comment:

• rasoo
    replied
    Thanks Allan, I will look into that. I filled the back space between the bottom head and the pan base with some left over foam, which did dull it a tad, but yes you are right I need to fill the inner pan space.

Leave a comment:

• allanjohn
    replied
    Rob,
    To quieten the pan, head out to Spotlight and buy a sheet of adhesive-backed black felt. It's about $3 per sheet, and will be ample for a 13" drum. I have found the felt as effective as a 2" deep foam donut - and much less obvious. The other option would be that bumpy grey foam used in packaging, but i'm not sure where you'd find it.
    PS: I emailed your pan source and am waiting to hear back on post charges.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X