Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completed HiHat Controller - Hall Effect Sensor + Magnet + Megadrum

Hi Guys,
    Been lurking on these forums for years, but here's my first post. Currently doing my second AtoE conversion, the first being TD3 based, and this one being based on the Megadrum + SD2.0.

Thought I'd post pics of my HiHat controller. Full credit goes to Dean, who I work with, and who first did this here and here. He has a video, and some other explanation on how it all works, I'm just posting what I did.

All I've really added is some packaging ideas, and a second opinion that this works great, and is soooo easy and cheap. I still don't understand why no one else really seems interested in the idea, so thought my pics might help illustrate how easy it is.

Parts:
    1 x 3.5mm Socket (0.28) - because I used 3.5mm sockets on my MegaDrum module.
    1 x Hall-Effect Sensor A1302EUA-T (1.30 - from www.bitsbox.co.uk) - Looks like a Transistor
    1 x Magnet (Ring N45, OD. 12mm/ ID 9 mm) (0.32, but min order of 10 at www.supermagnete.nl)
    * Assuming you have a conventional HiHat stand.

Simply wire up the Hall-Effect sensor to the Socket, cable tie the Sensor into position so it will line up with the magnets, then cover in hot-glue to make sure it stays where it is. The distance between the sensor and Magnets when at rest, or at max distance does not matter during construction. Once it is built, just adjust the MegaDrum settings so that the Min and Max are at the correct levels.

So, all up, about 2 euros for a HiHat controller, where the natural movement of the HiHat pedal and cymbal is maintained, the top cymbal can be lowered and locked at 'fully closed', just like an acoustic (so no eClutches required), and there is no contact or wearing on any of the electrical components, as there would be with any potentiometer design....

My original layout included the bottom HiHat Cymbal, and I'd mounted the sensor in the bottom HiHat, however to reduce the noise, I've removed the bottom HiHat, and mounted the components into the bottom plastic .. uh, ... thing.... The top cymbal moves around a bit more, but I'm happy with it, and its silent.

Anyway... Pictures:

Again, Dean, and I are using this with MegaDrum, but I guess it would just be a matter of determining the correct ranges that other modules are looking for, and adding resistors / pots, rather than being able to do it in the MegaDrum settings.

Very nice!

I am getting ready to do another A-E conversion for a friend and I think I might try this approach. Thanks for the detailed posting. He will be using a TD-3 module, so any tips you would like to share is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I have been keeping an out out for news with hall sensors, as they do seem very promising. That looks like a great momentary switch- nice work! I am still holding my breath until somebody designs a variable controller with hall sensors though.
      sigpic

Comment

Excellent job!
        I've been planning to use an HES in a simple compact pedal,
        like this:
        http://www.zzounds.com/item--HNFFPP

I'd like to wire it for testing into a gameport, but need to know if I can do
        this directly or need some circuit. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

It is variable...

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
          That looks like a great momentary switch- nice work! I am still holding my breath until somebody designs a variable controller with hall sensors though.
          Thanks for the complements, but this is not a momentary switch, it is a full variable controller. The level of the output changes depending on the distance of the magnet to the sensor, it is not simply on/off.
          You can then use the megadrum to set the min/max, and the 'Curve' whether Log/Exp etc.

Dean posted a video of a bench test, showing the full range:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDtQdIKziFk

Comment

I've managed to upload a video of it in action onto Youtube to show how variable it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwB2mv8wIWY

Sometimes the LCD of the Megadrum appears to lag behind the actual output, so you can see the MegaDrum configuration tool on my laptop in the background showing how fast the Midi readings are entering the laptop.

Here are some pics at various stages of openness, in case the video doesn't work:

Comment

Enclosure?

Thanks for posting this Wazza - I am very tempted to try this myself now.

I'm currently at the beginning of my first AtoE conversion (with a view to matching it with an Alesis Trigger IO and BFD2) and was planning on buying one of the Jobeky HiHat controllers, but when considering £99 (Jobeky) v £5 (DIY), there seems little contest!

How do you think an 'enclosure' would affect the sensitivity of the Hall-Effect Sensor?

For the enclosure I was thinking along the lines of an upturned plastic pot (assuming metal may interfere too much) to hide and protect the sensor and wiring.

Also, would you mind explaining how the wires connect the jack socket to the sensor?

Thanks,

A

BTW - Given the minimum order from www.supermagnete.nl I assume you have a job lot of spare magnets available for purchase?
              Last edited by pre0ats; 11-06-09, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Wow, interesting!!! Two questions for you:

1. Is the sensor thing hot glued or is it silicone you used to hold the sensor. Also does it affect the performance at all?

2. With the tweaking of megadrum, is it possible to increase the range of completely open to completely closed? the sensitivity range seems a little short....

Comment

Wow, magnetic-based variable HH controller! Impressive. Very impressive. Simple and elegant.
                  My compact kit.

Comment

Thank god someone finally did it. I have thrown the idea out on these forums many of times. I just have not had the time to do it myself.

Comment

Great job! This is the kind of controller that most should like. No parts to wear out. What more can you ask for. You are the man wazza187.

From now on I shall call it the Wazza controller.

You know, this same idea could easily be made in to the same form factor as a FD-7 (or FD-8). It wouldn't be that difficult to install such a device in this:
                      At $50.00 plus parts you can have one heck of a good controller and still be a heck of a lot cheaper than an FD-8 at $150.00. Just a thought.
                      Last edited by Hellfire; 11-07-09, 02:28 PM.
                      alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Originally posted by wazza187 View Post
                        Thanks for the complements, but this is not a momentary switch, it is a full variable controller. The level of the output changes depending on the distance of the magnet to the sensor, it is not simply on/off.
                        You can then use the megadrum to set the min/max, and the 'Curve' whether Log/Exp etc.

Dean posted a video of a bench test, showing the full range:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDtQdIKziFk
                        Oops, I though you built this for a TD-3, and I now see that you are using actually this with a Megadrum. I guess what I meant was that I am waiting for this application to be compatible with a Roland module that supports variable hi-hat expression.
                        sigpic

Comment

Oops, I though you built this for a TD-3, and I now see that you are using actually this with a Megadrum. I guess what I meant was that I am waiting for this application to be compatible with a Roland module that supports variable hi-hat expression.
                          Since it can be used with a MegaDrum as variable, shouldn't that transfer over to any Roland, variable compatable, module?
                          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
                            Since it can be used with a MegaDrum as variable, shouldn't that transfer over to any Roland, variable compatable, module?
                            How I wish, Daniel. Megadrum is compatible with nearly anything, but Roland uses proprietary circuitry that doesn't allow certain things to work with their modules. Roland HH controllers seem to be based more on a change in resistance, whereas the hall sensor and optical controllers (that work well with Megadrum) seem more focused on voltage changes. At least that is how I perceive it- but I could be wrong about that part. Supposedly there is a way to ad a power supply to those voltage-based controller circuits to make them work with Roland's circuitry, but I haven't seen it done yet- at least not with a variable HH controller. I am really not too electronically-inclined myself, so I am hoping to see other DIYers blaze a trail through this terrain because I imagine that this setup would work really, really well.
                            sigpic

Comment

How I wish, Daniel. Megadrum is compatible with nearly anything, but Roland uses proprietary circuitry that doesn't allow certain things to work with their modules. Roland HH controllers seem to be based more on a change in resistance, whereas the hall sensor and optical controllers (that work well with Megadrum) seem more focused on voltage changes. At least that is how I perceive it- but I could be wrong about that part. Supposedly there is a way to ad a power supply to those voltage-based controller circuits to make them work with Roland's circuitry, but I haven't seen it done yet- at least not with a variable HH controller. I am really not too electronically-inclined myself, so I am hoping to see other DIYers blaze a trail through this terrain because I imagine that this setup would work really, really well.
                              Yeah I'm not electrnically inclined either, at least now. In my youth I soldered and built many circut boards for encryption equipment in the Army. But that was many spent brain cells ago. At least if I build one for my MegaDrum set-up, I won't be dissapponited when I get a TD-20X.....someday.
                              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                              http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Working...
                              X