Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dave's DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave's DIY

Hi all!

First of all, a big thanks to everyone on here that's answered some of my stupid questions so far - I have plenty more to come I'm sure Given that I'm going to be starting to properly assemble some of my purchased bits this weekend, I thought I would finally start my DIY thread on here. Sorry for the length of this first post as well!

So, some background. I come from the classical side of things, studied trombone and piano at school but really, I always wanted to play drums as a kid Understandably my folks weren't exactly thrilled with the prospect at the time. Roll forward about 10 years and I have my own space; a year ago I caved in and bought a Guitar Hero drum set. Having rapidly demolished all the songs on that, I've convinced myself I won't totally suck at drums (probably). My aim our of all of this is to get good enough to drum some progressive rock. I love the odd time-signatures and technical difficulty of the tracks, as well as utilising lots of sounds and polyrhythms.

Noise and space are big issues for me. Housing around here is pretty cramped in and the prospects of me getting a detached house in the near future are pretty much zero, so I decided to go electronic. I tried a TD-9KX and was blown away by how good they were - unfortunately I was also blown away by the price tag Whilst I have a fair bit of cash to throw at this and I could afford the TD-9 if I wanted it, I like to get the most out of my money and, having discovered this excellent forum, and moreover, how simple these things can be, it has been decided this will now become my next project So thank you to everyone on here for providing such excellent information, it's been a great help.

My goals are pretty simple: a quality drum kit which will last, reasonably compact, as quiet as possible, as much room for expandability as possible, and on a reasonable budget. Based on my recent purchases, I came up with the following:
    • MegaDrum 52-input drum module with a VST (probably BFD2).
    • 12" snare, 2x10" toms, 2x12" toms with Roland mesh heads.
    • 12" mesh kick drum.
    • 2 x Yamaha PCY-150S cymbals.
    • 2 x Yamaha PCY-130S cymbals.
    • MDS-12 rack.

By the end of this I hope to have spent under £1k for a kit which rivals the TD-20, at least in terms of expandability and features, and has better sounds through use of the VST. A bit ambitious for my first attempt perhaps, but my intentions are good So far, I've spent just over £700.

One of the most useful things I found on here when doing my research was Gastric's post on his DIY kits, and precisely what components were needed to assemble toms and the other bits and pieces. So I've included my full itinerary that I compiled at the start of this thing to give anyone that's interested an idea of what's involved. I am using the standard Beatnik crossbar design for my toms. Just note that my quantities aren't final yet since I've not got everything needed - I'll try and update everything as I get it in.

Edit: more detailed itinerary coming soon

Finally - I have a couple more dumb questions
    1. I'm kindof stuck on the hi-hat as I don't really know what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now, I'm considering either the FD-8 + CY-5 combo, or possibly the Yamaha RHH135 + stand (which is obviously a bit more expensive).
    2. Any kind of recommendation for a reasonably inexpensive double bass pedal?

Thanks!
    Last edited by davem; 07-31-09, 02:14 AM.

For a hi-hat controller, it is more about cost and looks. You will pay more for something that looks a lot stealthier, but an FD-8 works well and doesn't cost too much.

For double kick pedals, try eBay or Craigslist. I got a set of Iron Cobra Power Glides for around $200. That is what I'd refer to as decent.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
      For a hi-hat controller, it is more about cost and looks. You will pay more for something that looks a lot stealthier, but an FD-8 works well and doesn't cost too much.

For double kick pedals, try eBay or Craigslist. I got a set of Iron Cobra Power Glides for around $200. That is what I'd refer to as decent.
      Thanks for the advice cheapthrill, I'll take it on board.

So it's about time for a small progress update. As you can see from the itinerary of parts everything that I've ordered so far has come through, and I've been building away like a maniac

First, the MegaDrum. Synthex's new v3.1 board came through for me, and whilst I didn't put up any pictures of the assembly itself (mostly because a half-filled PCB is pretty boring) I do have some shots of the whole thing put together:

For anyone that's considering doing this but is worried about messing it up, I would just say go for it. Synthex's boards are a pleasure to solder, and forgoing a stupid error that I made, the whole thing worked first time. The only reasonably non-trivial part is getting the resistors in the right order as there are quite a few, but for the most part this is a non-issue.

Now the drums themselves. So far, I have enough parts to fully complete one of the two toms and do everything but the head of the other tom. So right now I have two pretty much complete drums ready to be played, minus the rubber trimming and rim trigger.

After testing it out on the MegaDrum briefly, I noted that the drums were just way too hot. Having looked some more on the MD forums, this looks like a pretty common issue with the 27mm piezos, so I ordered some trimmers, and after hooking them up to the trigger it functions much better now.

Due to me purchasing far too much this month and also going on holiday early next month I won't be adding to this log too much, but hopefully I will have some more pictures tomorrow of a couple of things racked up

Comment

Hello .My name is Mihai (michael) and i'm from Romania.i want to purchase a drum kit a kitt from here http://www.megadrum.info/content/buy...-megadrum-kits kitt3 to be more precise.but i'm affraid a bit because it's a lot of cash for me.so i have some questions:
        -how does the pc see the drums?(like a sound card?)
        -do i use the reaper circuit to conect the piezzo's to the controler?
        -how do i arange the piezzo's on the cymbal for example?

Comment

Originally posted by synco View Post
          Hello .My name is Mihai (michael) and i'm from Romania.i want to purchase a drum kit a kitt from here http://www.megadrum.info/content/buy...-megadrum-kits kitt3 to be more precise.but i'm affraid a bit because it's a lot of cash for me.so i have some questions:
          -how does the pc see the drums?(like a sound card?)
          -do i use the reaper circuit to conect the piezzo's to the controler?
          -how do i arange the piezzo's on the cymbal for example?
          The Megadrum is recognized by your PC either through usb or midi cables. You must have a sound card and a drum VCT to make it play through your speakers.

Time to start reading brother! There are bunches of posts here on how to make elec. cymbals.

You only need a raper circuit if you are using more than one piezo into either a piezo/piezo input or a piezo/switch input on your module. Once again you will probably need to read up on that.
          sigpic JerEd Systems, LED drum triggers

Comment

Hey Davem, can't wait to see that mds-12 in action.
            TD9-V2, TMC-6, VH-11, 2x PCY135, 1x PCY155 modded, 1x PCY130SC, 1x CY5, 1x CY8, 1x PD120, 4x PD85, 1x KD8, DW3500T hihat stand, P1002 pro double pedal, Behringer K3000FX, Tascam US122L
            Vexpressions
            Vdrumlib

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
              Finally - I have a couple more dumb questions
              1. I'm kindof stuck on the hi-hat as I don't really know what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now, I'm considering either the FD-8 + CY-5 combo, or possibly the Yamaha RHH135 + stand (which is obviously a bit more expensive).
              2. Any kind of recommendation for a reasonably inexpensive double bass pedal?

Thanks!
              THIS is the pedal you want. it is $99 and has all the features of a $400+ pedal.

Last edited by animal; 08-20-09, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
                THIS is the pedal you want. it is $99 and has all the features of a $400+ pedal.

Say, that actually looks decent for a cheapy $99 double kick. Do you own one? If so, have you owned any others before to compare with?
                sigpic

Comment

I have this pedal and love it. One of the drum magazines did a review and it outranked most other pedals. It has all kinds of adjustments, double chains, 3 springs, toe stops, bottom plates, quad beaters. Pedals can be used as singles.

I played several PDP double pedals and they suck compared to the vex.

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
                    I have this pedal and love it. One of the drum magazines did a review and it outranked most other pedals. It has all kinds of adjustments, double chains, 3 springs, toe stops, bottom plates, quad beaters. Pedals can be used as singles.

I played several PDP double pedals and they suck compared to the vex.
                    Cool. Yeah, PDP pedals do suck, I've had them. I currently have Twin Cobras but I'd like to upgrade to Axis LBs in the future.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. It's been a busy week in PhD land, but I have just done a rather large order from Thomann with the last bits and pieces I need to get the rack and drums set up, and have sourced lots of other bits from guys on the forums so thanks to everyone!

The MDS-12 is great (thanks Psy!) and I have a couple of drums mounted on it already. Looks like I'm going to have to swap the short arm over to the left hand side though since it's going to be too short to mount two of the 12 inchers like I'd planned. Don't want to take too many pics yet though, rather leave it as a bit of a surprise Also ordered the 56-input PCBs from Synthex and an enclosure for it all to go in. Decided to go with a CY-5 and FD-8 in the end because Louis had such a good deal on them. Also started the process of building a small splash cymbal from a plastic plate and some neoprene, which I'll hopefully document pretty soon.

Interesting pedal though guys! I saw it on eBay but I was too scared to go with it, mostly due to the lack of reviews. In the end I've gone with a used DW 7002PT which I'm very excited about.

Anyway. One of the last things on my list is some rubber edging for the trim and rim. Anyone in the UK have a good source? I saw this but they look to be a bit on the pricey side.

Comment

lets see some progress pics of the set Here are some links to some trim for the bottom of your cut toms/snare, I used automotive door trim for my rims since washer hose I originally tried was to thick to achieve good rim triggers. I used rubber automotive pcv 3/8"? line for my edge trim.
                        http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/27136/yamaha
                        http://www.wwbw.com/Pearl-MTT100-15-...-i1426355.wwbw
                        https://www.pintechworld.com/shop/sc...?idCategory=34
                        Last edited by kurtus420; 08-20-09, 07:32 PM. Reason: added links
                        TD9-V2, TMC-6, VH-11, 2x PCY135, 1x PCY155 modded, 1x PCY130SC, 1x CY5, 1x CY8, 1x PD120, 4x PD85, 1x KD8, DW3500T hihat stand, P1002 pro double pedal, Behringer K3000FX, Tascam US122L
                        Vexpressions
                        Vdrumlib

Comment

You can always hit your local hardware or autoparts store for the trim.
                          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Okay, so pictures were promised so here we go. I apologise for the crapness of the photo - despite investing an awful lot of money in many lenses for my DSLR camera, the only thing I had to hand today was my iPhone. But it gives you an idea of where I'm at.

Basically at this point you can see the rack, toms and cymbals and hi-hat mounted. Innards are all complete as you can see, apart from some soldering and probably many hours of tinkering to get triggering close to 100%. As you can see I have all the mounts and the snare is also done, just can't mount it yet as I don't have the tom rosette (ordered).

I also ran out of foam cones (could only get 4 from Roland), so the blue spot you can see from the cone in the second tom is constructed from some foam which I believe feels pretty close. Found some of those large floatation tube things you see in pools in Poundland and there's loads of foam on it, so I thought for the price it was worth a shot to make my own. No clue as to how it will trigger yet. but as I say, it at least feels fairly similar, although not quite as soft.

So, basically here's what I have left to do:
                            • Finish up innards of toms and snare - add rim piezos, trims for head and rim sensitivity and then solder up to jacks.
                            • Do the innards of the kick. Probably going for a reflection plate design now that I have access to some nice foam.
                            • Construct the bass drum stand and find some spurs. Anyone know where you can get ones like those on the KD-120?
                            • Solder up the input boards for the MegaDrum and put all of that in an enclosure and mount to the frame. Still waiting on parts for that though.
                            • Probably take the whole rack to pieces and run wiring through the frame.
                            • Construct a tennis ball riser. As you can see, this is on a rug but the floor is laminate wood - not good when my room is above the lounge!
                            • Tweak, tweak and tweak some more
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kurtus420 View Post
                              lets see some progress pics of the set Here are some links to some trim for the bottom of your cut toms/snare, I used automotive door trim for my rims since washer hose I originally tried was to thick to achieve good rim triggers. I used rubber automotive pcv 3/8"? line for my edge trim.
                              http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/27136/yamaha
                              http://www.wwbw.com/Pearl-MTT100-15-...-i1426355.wwbw
                              https://www.pintechworld.com/shop/sc...?idCategory=34
                              Thanks for the links Kurt, gives me more of an idea of what to get. Never really thought of the automotive trim... I'll have to pop down the shop and see what's what.

By the way, I like your extension board for your MD! How long did it take to come up with that on breadboard?

Comment

Working...
                              X