Hi-Hat Controller, Best Concept Yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Hat Controller, Best Concept Yet!

Above are pictures of a FSR (Force Sensing Resistor) and a SoftPot (flexible membrane potentiometer) sensor. Using the SoftPot would be like making your own FD-7 or FD-8 Roland Hi-Hat controller. I have had this idea for some time. I was hoping to build these myself, but too many other things are going on right now. I decided to post this so it doesn't get forgotten. For more information please see my post at Hellfire Electronic Drum Systems. There you will find two concept drawings showing how a DIY'er might go about using these concepts.

Also, don't forget to check out my latest podcast: Podcast #3
    Last edited by Hellfire; 05-08-09, 03:11 PM. Reason: chaged title
    alesisDRUMMER.com

I just checked out your site, HF... you sir, have been busy!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
      I just checked out your site, HF... you sir, have been busy!
      Yes, I have.

I'm guessing that this concept is going to end up like the choke switch. The choke switch didn't get much traction when I first put it out there (and I mean no traction!). It took about six months before more people caught on to the idea. I think it's going to take some time before people realize the potential of using FSRs and Softpots for a Hi-Hat controller.
      alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
        Yes, I have.

I'm guessing that this concept is going to end up like the choke switch. The choke switch didn't get much traction when I first put it out there (and I mean no traction!). It took about six months before more people caught on to the idea. I think it's going to take some time before people realize the potential of using FSRs and Softpots for a Hi-Hat controller.
        I have thought about ways to use film resistors and the likes before, but I found them too expensive to experiment with for my budget. They are really not that expensive, I just have a weak budget. I feel that they would have massive potential though.
        sigpic

Comment

Looks very interesting. I think there is definitely some good potential for some cool stuff. Maybe after I finish all of my other projects, I will have a go at those. The list is long though, it may be a while.
          sigpic JerEd Systems, LED drum triggers

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
            I have thought about ways to use film resistors and the likes before, but I found them too expensive to experiment with for my budget. They are really not that expensive, I just have a weak budget. I feel that they would have massive potential though.
            Two or three years back I stumbled on a ribbonswitch manufacturer and requested a sample pack using a made-up company name...a month or two went by and I received a package with about 20 different switches including some FSR's. If I can find the posts I will link them. Free stuff to mess with is always good.
            chris :D

Comment

I made the blunder of posting this idea in another topic, so I'm trying to get the discussion back over here. Here is what has been said so far:

Originally posted by John F View Post
              Aren't your concept drawings shown in the link essentially the same as the Roland HH pedal? FD8, for instance? I'm just looking for something that minimizes the moving parts.
              Yes, but remember those are just concept drawings. You could mount the FSR between the two hi-hat cymbals in the same way as the optical Hi-hat system. Assuming the module can supply the power (that's a big if, because I have not gotten that far yet), there really isn't that much to a FSR hi-hat controller. Mount the FSR on a solid surface (like the bottom hat, or self contained like the optical), and using a spring or foam coupling for the top hat to press on. That's pretty much it. It is the fewest parts solution that I've seen so far.

As for the optical controller I look forward to what you come up with jman 31.
              Originally posted by John F View Post
              Great idea. I like the idea of the cymbals pressing together on the FSR rather than the foot pedal. And I think the (Roland) module can supply the power to the FSR. Have a look at my previous post where I've got measurements and have calculated what the voltage source inside the Roland controller must look like.
              Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
              Isn't this basically what you're talking about? http://www.musiciansnearyou.com/Hi-Hat-Kt-4-sale.html This picture looks more like some sort of switch (for the Alesis) but the ones I have look almost identicle to the FSR pics that wre posted.
              I always thought that guy might be using FSR's and you just confirmed it for me.

So, I guess the FSR method works pretty easily then (if he is using an FSR) Can you post a picture of the inside of what you are talking about?
              alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Here is another softpot video demonstration. It's easy to see how the adapter used in the demonstration could be fitted to a standard hi-hat stand. The spring loaded wiper 'activator' would certainly provide much greater sensitivity than the rubber hammer design of the FD-8 pedal.

The company, Spectra Symbol, also produces membrane switches. It would be interesting to have them look at Hellfire's cymbal choke template for reference, and see what it would cost to have them produce some choke switches...
                Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Working...
                X